New adopted kitty is having behavioral issues

Macaron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So yesterday i decided to expand my kitty family and i adopted a year old cat from the shelter,in her cage at the shelter she was a little shy but also a rough player,in the crate taking her home she was nice and let me pet her but ever since we got home she has done nothing but hiss/growl and even try to slap if your even in the same room as her :angrycat:,is this going to be a permanent behavior or is there anything i can do to make her feel more at home and safe?:lovecat:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Keep in mind that your cat is trying very hard to learn everything she can as fast as she can about her new environment, which includes all the sights, sounds, smells, and other cats.

So, be extremely patient with her. Sit on the floor and read uplifting stories now and then (this makes your voice sound warm and inviting to her), work on your computer, but don't look directly at her - that can seem aggressive and frightening to a scared kitty. You have all the time in the world now that she's home with you, safe and fed and in a comfortable place. She just needs time to discover all the good that you have for her, and she will eventually approach you, but it's really important that you wait for her to make that decision.

Also try some cat music - there's spotify, youtube, MusicForCats and RelaxMyCat as sources.

I realize you have cats already, but there might be some things here that help with your new cat :) ;

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment – TheCatSite Articles

Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

I don't know, or even really think that this cat has been previously abused, but there are some good tips in this article as well;
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving from a shelter to a new home is a very stressful experience for a cat. It may take them days, weeks or even months to adjust to their new place and people. She is feeling frightened and that is why she is hissing.

It is best if you can keep her in a single room with her food, water, Litter box and toys. You can sit in there with her and talk to her but no petting or reaching for her until she comes over and asks for it. If you have no other pets or children in the home you can let her start exploring once she seems relaxed and comfortable with you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, all good advice. Keep her in a single room until she adjusts, be patient, let her hide under the bed if she wants too. Don't grab her, force her on your lap or anywhere, or forcibly hold her to "show it how nice it is" to be pet. It will be anwhere from minutes to about a week or so until she is ready to interact with you. And even then, a lot of times you can only pet a kitten when its sleepy. Sometimes you have to play with the kitten with toys, watch it do funny things, pet it when sleepy, and be patient. Friendly in the shelter is one of those things that *everyone* thinks means something with their first cat . . . but it turns out doesn't really mean much. You'll have to wait and see what kind of kitten you have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Macaron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been in her “safe room” and seems very comfortable in it but still growls and hisses at me if i sit by the door or talk to her,is there anything i can do to get her more comfortable around me without stressing her out?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
She simply needs more time. Continue to do what you are doing, but don't look directly at her. Sit there on the floor but ignore her.

Are you using some cat music?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, some kittens can take up to a week or so and I don't think it correlates with how friendly they end up. I agree that spending some time in the room, maybe even on the floor, chilling can only help, but the big thing is don't be grabby. Respect her schedule, whatever it may be. You might be able to get her out from under the bed with a lure toy or laser pointer, which might help and couldn't hurt anything either (just don't use it as an excuse to get grabby).