New Abandoned Kitten Rescue / Litter Question

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Evening All,

It has been a while since I posted on the site but I have a question about the best litter for a new kitten. On Monday some jack wagon abandoned some cats, 3 three kittens, the mom & another younger kitty behind my work. I found the first kitten Monday night, which I ended up bringing home because he was in rough shape. Little Man wandered to the back door, the others were found the next morning in the truck docks and some by the compactor.
Tuesday morning I took little man to my vet because he needed love, he was so tiny. I guessed he was about 6 weeks (because I have 5 other cats) but he was so skinny it was hard to tell. My vet kept him over night because he had a bad flea issue and scabies, they bathed and dipped him so it was best to keep him overnight. I brought his little 1.6 lbs anemic butt home the next day and quarantined him the guest bath. He is so affectionate and tiny! When we brought him home Monday night and set up a litter box he went in and used it right away. The problem is he likes to lay in the litter box and with him being almost 90% hairless he was getting the clumping litter all over him, in his eyes so I was afraid he was going to ingest it and he has enough issues. So yesterday I went bought Yesterdays News Litter but I think the pellets are bigger than him. He has a hard time covering his #2 up then ends stepping in it, then there’s poop everywhere. Thank goodness for unscented baby wipes :yess:. I need to switch again but I read that kittens should use clumping litter until at least 4 months old. Any suggestions? I’ve been off the past two days but I go back to work Friday and want to avoid poop explosions :D.
All my other kittens did well with clumping litter when they were babies but this little man is special. He’s a hot mess right now but will be a gorgeous kitty once we get him well :redheartpump:

** The other 2 kittens got a loving home together and the other two older kitties went to another loving home together.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular non-clumping clay litter is best for kittens. You can even just get the cheapest store-brand stuff, because you're probably going to use just a shallow layer and change it often, since kittens are so messy.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Please post some photos of the little man.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We named him Karma ... He’s doing a lot better, still has some skin issues. Medicated shampoo, medicine and line Sulfer dips have helped. His follow up is on the 16th with the vet, I know they will be happy with his progress.

Attachments

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
That third photo is so precious! Get the right caption & it could be a meme for sure. I predict Karma will be a beauty when he fills out.