Never Ending Issues With Crystals

James Henry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 3 year old Male Siamese. I've spent close to 3k already and he's still got crystals. He's been raised on mostly Fromm cat food (dry) which I thought was high end cat food. He will not eat wet food, at all.

So my options are, as I understand it, is to convert him over to raw food. There doesn't seem to be anything the vet can do and just like regular human doctors, I have to try to fix the issue myself I'm tired of giving these people money with no results. They gave us some wet cat food (forget the name of the company) designed for crystals. He will not eat it.

So I'm wondering, based on peoples experience on here, if raw food is the way to go? I see there are some vendors (Darwins) that will ship raw rood. I am not Martha Stuart, meaning, I do not have 8 hours a day to dedicate to preparing raw food meals for our cat.

Any suggestions appreciated. He's going in the litter box about 20 times a day. Sometimes he pees a good amount, most times, there's nothing. I have water all over the place. We have a fountain as well. He is drinking. He's just not peeing much.

Here's what the vet had to say. They want him back again for another test (to tell me again he's got crystals) but with no options on how to fix it. So I'm done with the Vet.

Here's what they had to say. The cat is under no stress whatsoever. He lives with my wife and 11 year old daughter and his 15 year old Siamese brother. The cat is treated like gold.

Here is some more info on what could be going on with Shadow. It is possible his signs are related to FIC. I have provided some links: one that can help explain Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) and another link that helps with environmental enrichment which is the mainstay of treatment and prevention for this issue. This issue can reoccur. There is also an attachment with environmental enrichment ideas. If this is still continuing, then we will definitely want to have him back in to collect a urine sample to see if there are crystals or infection as those are a separate problem.

It is still important to closely monitor urination as FIC can still lead to a life threatening urinary blockage.

You may want to also try adding a product called "Rescue Remedy- Pet" to the pets' drinking water to help. Another product is the "Comfort Zone/ Feliway" diffuser which plugs into an outlet and can help to ease stress by releasing calming feline pheromones. We carry the diffuser at the clinic. Having daily play times is another way that can help reduce stress.

To entertain him you can also feed him out of a food dispensing toy instead of a bowl. The products I like are : Petsafe/ Premier- Fun kitty twist n treat OR the Egg-cer-sizer. This can be found online or on Amazon.

An even better one simulates hunting and you hide the "mice" around the house. It can prevent over eating and very much help with environmental enrichment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really think you need to find another vet - preferably one that is a cat only vet. Perhaps, even a vet university nearby? You can get all Shadow's records copied over so that a new vet has a complete history to date. Someone is going to have to monitor him frequently for the crystal issue. That can take a wrong turn very fast at any given time. And, the way you describe how he is frequenting the litterbox is already of great concern.

Did this current vet say it is FIC? And, what are all the tests that he did to rule out other issues first? Such as an x-ray and perhaps even an ultrasound to rule out any issues with the physical structure of the urethra and bladder? FIC can be genetic, and not just entirely stress related. Did the vet suggest possibly trying some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications to at least see if they would help?

There are 3 brands of urinary care foods that I know of - Royal Canin SO, Hill's C/D, and Purina Pro. All come in dry as well as canned. But, I have also heard of Wysong Uretic that might be another option. You can also try adding low/no-sodium broths to his water (or maybe even try some on his food?) to aid in drinking more.

I can't advise you on raw foods, but there are other members who hopefully will see your post today and offer their input.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously wet food is better, but if your cat won't eat it, you gotta do what you gotta do. So my question is, did the vet not offer you the dry version of the prescription foods designed to dissolve crystals???
My boy had to be on prescription foods for crystals, NO amount of "high quality" foods, or high water intake or wet only diet, would help with his situation. We HAD to keep him on the prescription food for life. We fed him a combination of the dry and wet versions of the food, specifically the Hill's CD stress formula. The Royal Canine did not work at all for him.
Did you have an ultrasound done to see if there even is any inflammation of the bladder? If there is no thickening of the walls of the bladder or urethra, I doubt your kitty has stress induced cystitis, the crystals would be my first priority.
I also had a cat who had stress induced cystitis and there are several options other than environment enrichment that can help get a flair up under control. Environment enrichment alone (even though it is important) is sometimes not enough to get things under control.
I think a new vet may be in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James Henry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She wanted him back again last week to test the urine again. But last week it seemed to be resolved so we did not bring him back. I'm just wondering what I should do at this point. I'm tired of giving them money basically.

Hello, they did X-rays and whatnot and stated that there is no issue with the bladder. He was blocked once and had to go to the hospital around here which resulted in $1800 bill for catheter. They suggested an operation to widen the urethra. Then a year went by with no issues. The only thing that changed recently was swapping out the pet fountain. But after that, I put the old one back along side the new one and he continued to drink out of the new one.

Here's a little bit about the operation that the hospital recommended a while ago.
My Blocked Cat Needs Surgery … Now What? | Emergency Vet Manchester NH

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That surgery is the very one that I believe P PJBoy had to go through with her cat. If she sees this post, she can tell you all about it and what lead her to that point.

I am pretty sure I have seen other members ( lalagimp lalagimp is another one) on this site that have had to go through this surgery with their cats as well. I hope one of them can give you some additional information as well. Just be patient, I am sure one of them will come along soon - hang in there!!

James Henry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just don't see why a cat should have to get their urethra widened. I mean do Tigers have their urethra widened too? There's got to be some natural solution to this. I mean what do cats outdoors eat? Raw meat. I don't have the answer, but I just think it's ridiculous to have to have his urethra bored open because of a problems with crystals forming, which is probably due to the processed rubbish in a bag that they eat. This is just speculation. Same with humans. Eat from a box and you wind up with medical problems. Eat natural, whole foods and you have less or no medical problems.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe your point about food has something to do with it. I don't know if any tigers have had the same issue. Those in the wild probably just died from it - assuming it happens. Those in captivity, well I guess you could look that up and see.

There are, however, genetics that also play a role... The thing is with constant crystal formation and passing of those crystals, the urethra becomes restricted from scar tissue. So, I am sure that also has a lot to do with it.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigers don't generally need a new urethra because they were never kibble cats in the first place. That's what causes most of these blockages. The urine gets concentrated, the crud forms, the crud gunks it up. I said that Tommy didn't have any hydration issues because he was on the water fountain all the time, but it still wasn't enough to properly dilute his concentrates in his urine. Kibble is dense, and if cats are thirsty, they are already teetering with dehydration. TBH somedays I don't want to drink anything until I start feeling yucky, so I go get flavored beverages to encourage myself to drink enough that day.

And after a hospitalization with the catheter, every time you place a catheter after that, you're further irritating the urethra and starting to create scar tissue, which would continue to narrow it. You didn't do anything wrong - this was standard procedure to empty the bladder and flush it out so he could pee and his kidneys wouldn't shut down. Some cats continue on okay, and others will eventually need the PU and get their reassignment.

When I've said that making my food for the two boys for three weeks takes me 3 hours, that's a white lie. Start to finish- yes. What am I doing for an hour? Watching tv while the thighs parcook in the oven, and then waiting for them to cool off to handle. Aaaaaand I'm making it for 2 boys, not just the Tommy that started these problems in the first place. We placed Stewart on the diet as well so there is 1) no fighting over food and 2) HOPEFULLY THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO STEW NOW

If you can't get a cat off dry kibble with this condition, oh for the love of cats, please get them on one with the chemicals in it to lower the pH. They also put chemicals in those s/D and c/D formulas to make them thirsty.

Heck yes, Fromm is an excellent food. So was the Nature's Variety I fed them for half their lives. But that really wasn't their fault. Things manifest, and you end up with a FLUTD kitty, and you have to make changes.

Darwin's delivers, which is awesome for people with busy lifestyles, but you can also get raw in retail, even pre-portioned just like Darwin's. Petsmart has Only Natural Pet over in the fridge in the dog food part of the store, as well as Nature's Variety medallions. Petco was carrying Nature's Variety medallions, but I can't be sure now since I was using Unleashed locations, and they went more dog focused last year on the food availability. If you find a boutique they will have more choices like SmallBatch, Primal, (RadCat discontinued making food late last year), and possibly some regional offerings.

That's my soapbox. I forgot what I was talking about because my conure tried to hump my face. Cheers.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my boy had crystals in may 2017 he was given antibiodics which does nothing for inflammation not infection, I spent $800+ on him with no results, pain meds is good though

He started royal canin urinary so, after I dunno 2 weeks on that I received my bottle of Uromaxx. Three days after Uromaxx given .5ml twice a day on his tongue coincedance or not his problem stopped..

Recently 2 weeks ago I took him off royal canin urinary so due to vomiting and now I have a new bottle of Uromaxx that I give to him orally with non Urinary dry food... I have yet to see if he gets reoccuring problems being off that crappy urinary food...

Uromaxx costs around $30 which you have nothing to lose from trying...At this point I have a lot of faith in Uromaxx and hope it is indeed working at preventing any reoccurances

I get mines from ebay so I can get it Fast!

Yes your heart breaks, my cat snobbed the urinary wet as hes a dry eater, then he snobbed the hills urinary dry food...When he ate the Royal canin So I was so happy, now he throw up on it...Everything you wrote follows my cats story to the T....

Heres my story

Cat hissing and growling - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the Uromaxx does the trick, but until you see him going to the litterbox a lot less often and when he does go he is always producing urine, you still have an issue. No cat, without an issue, goes to the litter box 20 times a day - not to mention most of that time they don't pee. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Shadow. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: (one for each paw!)

James Henry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope the Uromaxx does the trick, but until you see him going to the litterbox a lot less often and when he does go he is always producing urine, you still have an issue. No cat, without an issue, goes to the litter box 20 times a day - not to mention most of that time they don't pee. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Shadow. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: (one for each paw!)
Thanks. I'll order the Uromaxx when my wife gets back. This is so brutal. It's starting to plain piss me off. Not mad at the cat. I'm mad at the fact that when you put the dots together, the problem is Processed food. Dry food = more processed than canned wet food. Now this guy, I'm going to have to starve him. He's crying going nuts following me around, waiting for the dry food. But that's over. The other problem is the other fat sob I have is eating all the wet food. So I'm going to have to put shadow in the bathroom to eat.

Here he is, the big lug, King

And Shadow. Supposedly my daughter's cat (11) who doesn't even play with him anymore. Computer is more important. So he's basically mine now, up my butt, 24/7. Love him to death, almost as much as my buddy Prince, who was sent home 9/17. Prince is my Avatar under my name. Shadow has become the new Prince. He's almost too much to handle. Seriously. Requires attention constantly. 3 years old, still bouncing off the walls

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pushing the wet on him will give anxiety, my cat still dont eat wet dammit

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey - you got the pics to come through! Yay! The only thing I can think of to try to 'convert' him to wet - and, I really encourage you to do so - is to start slowly transitioning him - add a tad bit of wet food to the dry, then more wet and less dry, and so on... Maybe even try no/low-sodium broths as an enticer?

You can also (more $$) try micro-chip feeders where each cat has their own feeder which is operated by a micro-chip in a collar that they would wear; it will only open for them??? But, still try to slowly transition Shadow.

(Sorry for Prince - RIP. You can post about him with pics in the Crossing The Bridge section if you would like.)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn. My boyfriend's 12 year old daughter has been very motherly to our family cat, Tommy. First Tom was mine, then ours, and now everybody's. It's creepy how you hear it in her voice that she's taking such care of him. He's been around since she was two years old.

Fortunately Tommy will eat anything/always has and always will. Moving him from kibble to canned to commercial raw to homemade raw and even rehydrated freeze dried raw. He's Honey Badger.

If they wear collars or are microchipped you can try an RFID feeder, intended to give the one it's programmed to Access. It works for everyone except me, unfortunately. We had to get a MeowSpace enclosure for the girls to eat in because he knows how to boss a girl out of the way on a chipped feeder and hold it open to snarf the food.

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned me a few weeks back and I only now just saw it!! My cat passed away around the time I was mentioned and I have not had a lot of time to spend online. I am so sorry about that. I would love to give some input and information on my experiences as my boy who passed, PJ, had 2 PU surgeries (the surgery you mentioned earlier) due to crystal formation. But first, how are things going with your kitty? Have the issues been sorted out whatsoever?

James Henry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, sorry about your cat passing away. My boy is doing ok. I did not bring him back again for the follow up tests. I tried the wet food and he will not eat it. He did not eat for 2 days when I tried it and did not want to starve it. So I got 2 types of kibbles. One grain free and the other is a high end purina (I think) food for crystals. I did get this stuff on amazon for crystals. UroMAXX is what it's called. It seems to help. This cat never pees a ton anyhow, his pee is always a ball about 2" round in the litter box, which is normal for him. The problem with this medicine is it's liquid and a few days ago we gave it to him and I think it went down wrong and he was choking for a 1/2 hour. I was freaking out. We started doing it every other day and it seems to work. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. I do not know how to transition him over to a wet food.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know how to transition him over to a wet food.
You could start by trying to put gravy toppers or really soft pate, diluted with a bit of water, on his dry kibble, and see if he eats his kibble with just a bit of wet stuff mixed in. Then slowly start adding more and more until the kibble is the crunchy topper to the wet food serving.
Will he eat wet food with water added? And of course drink the water as well? The only thing with this though is you can't just leave dry food out with water all day as it does start to grow bacteria pretty quick. So if he is a grazer (free feed), this won't work.
If you are able to at least get him to eat one serving of wet food a day, even if it's a mix of wet and dry, you can put the uromaxx in the wet food so you don't have to give it separately and risk aspiration again.