Neutering Questions

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Percy and Jasper, my two male kittens, are around four months old. I am going to take them to be neutered, but I wondered if now is a good time, or if I should wait? I’ve read conflicting information.
Lastly, I’m nervous about taking them to the local low cost clinic. There were some horror stories on their Yelp page, including a male bunny dying and a female cat with a botched spay... while by no means were such stories the majority of the reviews, I’m a bit nervous about having their neuter done if there is a risk they could die or be hurt.
I guess I’m being a typical nervous first time kitten mom, but I wanted to get some input on this.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When they start spraying your house in a few months you won’t mind the minor risks anymore :lol:

In all seriousness, sometimes it’s ugly (happened to my shelter kittie), but it should be pretty rare. It’s a routine procedure, should be fine!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi AmyTheKittyMommy AmyTheKittyMommy , please check with your vet to see if they are ready to be neutered. Here’s a copied section from our article regarding neutering :-
‘Common Questions About Spaying And Neutering
At what age should I have my cat spayed/neutered?

The rule is to spay/neuter before your cat reaches sexual maturity. In fact, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) now supports early spay and neuter for cats as early as 8-16 weeks of age. Consult your vet concerning your cat, but remember to have the cat altered before the sexual maturity (usually before the age of 5-6 months).’

You can read these two articles on it :-
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Some vets wants to make sure that their testicles are fully descended at later age like around 7 months so that they can get both testicles at one go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! I’ll talk to their vet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry at all about using a low-cost clinic for a male. . .neuters are very simple. A spay is major abdominal surgery so it's riskier, but a neuter is just snip snip :eek3:. And rabbits are very sensitive to anesthetics so I wouldn't let someone's bad experience with having a rabbit neutered there affect your decision to have cats neutered there.

They're definitely old enough, any time between now and 7 months ought to be fine. Whatever works best with your schedule.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They were neutered today and just got back from the humane society. I bought two plastic cones just in case. They did not provide any pain medication, I’m wondering if the kittens need some? Should I get some from their vet?
Secondly, they’re acting a little weird. I’m thinking it’s just the anesthesia, but their eyes are extremely dialated and they aren’t vocalizing at all (versus their almost constant talking normally). They also keep roughhousing, and don’t seem to recognize me. I sat there on the floor with them and they ran away from me and wouldn’t come near me. I left them alone since I figured they needed to rest. They’re in a quiet room with a little water, their beds, their litterbox, and extra blankets.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: the water had to be taken away. Percy, who hates water and won’t touch it, decided to play in the water bowl. I walked in and he was wet on both front paws and has splashed water all over the walls and floor. I cleaned it up and took the bowl away.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not really sure what to do. The clinic is closed and I can’t contact them. The instructions said to put them in a quiet room with bedding and encourage them to rest. I did that, but they keep wrestling and slamming into the doors. They want to play constantly. I gave them a few toys that are stationary and to be batted at, but I don’t know what else to do. They’re really out of sorts and I don’t know if it’s the anesthesia, the pain medication, or the pain itself.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not really sure what to do. The clinic is closed and I can’t contact them. The instructions said to put them in a quiet room with bedding and encourage them to rest. I did that, but they keep wrestling and slamming into the doors. They want to play constantly. I gave them a few toys that are stationary and to be batted at, but I don’t know what else to do. They’re really out of sorts and I don’t know if it’s the anesthesia, the pain medication, or the pain itself.
Do you have two carriers you can keep them in? A cat per carrier and line the bottom of each with newspaper and a blanket? Since the clinic didn't keep them overnight, they're still a little loopy from the anesthesia.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have their one carrier. I tried putting one of them into it and leaving the other out, but they started yowling and crying and throwing themselves at the walls. They were very upset about being separated.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have their one carrier. I tried putting one of them into it and leaving the other out, but they started yowling and crying and throwing themselves at the walls. They were very upset about being separated.
It will be for their own good though. You could put a thin blanket over their crates and keep the crates facing each other, door to door, so they can see each other just not reach each other.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's what my 2 were doing. I tried to put one in the carrier, nope she just started banging around and I was afraid she'd hurt herself. I decided they knew what was what and didn't interfere anymore. They tired out eventually. Up to you what you're most comfortable with.

Oh, I forgot they're both males. Don't worry about it. They just got a minor snip. They're super high from the anesthetic but their incisions aren't anything to worry about. So let them play, they'll be fine.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They appear to be winding down. Thank you for your help. I’ll let them play and keep an eye on them.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not all cats spray if they aren't neutered or spayed.

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m happy to report that the anesthesia has worn off. The boys are back to their normal selves, and have been cuddling, purring, and napping.