Neutered Yesterday, Hiding Today

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One-year-old rescued stray Jelly Bean underwent neutering and microchipping yesterday. He was sent home with one dose of painkiller to be given at 6 last evening. Last night he was very affectionate - but did not come to sleep with me as he normally does. This morning he was hiding under a blanket chest, and he's only emerged twice since then, once to urinate and once in response to my coaxing for just a moment. I know he ate, drank water, and used the litter box last night (though he pooped over the side of it). Today he has neither eaten nor drunk any water.

Should I be concerned, or is this in the realm of normal post-surgical behavior?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's pretty normal post-surgery. Some cats aren't fazed by surgery and are back to their normal selves right away. Others need a day or two to rest. Keep an eye on the appetite. If he doesn't eat for more than 48 hours you need to call the vet. Cats can quickly develop a condition called fatty liver disease if they don't eat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It could be due to the anesthesia. Let it wear off in a day or two.

Just observe him and if he doesn't eat again today, you may like to call the vet and check.

(same thoughts as LTS3, he responded before I finished typing the reply)