neutered male -- spraying on vertical hard surfaces

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a 2-year old neutered male who has started backing up and spraying on vertical (usually hard) surfaces -- refrigerator, wall, trash can, etc... He's not real fond of the other two cats in the house, so I assume he's marking his territory. There are a multitude of "fixes" I see online which eliminate the urine/pheromones so the cat won't continue returning and spraying the same spots. Is there an overall favorite? Some seem to be meant more for carpet stains/odor, as the directions suggest letting it soak in for several days, but with all these being hard vertical surfaces, I'm looking for the best "spray" eliminator. 

thank you!

Summer

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally I like the one called simply OUT.  You can find it at WalMart and PetSmart in either the dog or cat section.  There are several varieties -- one says best for stains, the other says best for ODORS, and that's the one you want.  Marking is definitely a statement of him claiming his territory, and all of them may mark in the same place.  It's normal cat behavior, unfortunately, when you have a power struggle going on.  Usually it stops when the lines get drawn, i.e. who is in charge, but sometimes that is always in question.  I have two girls who spray because they are in competition with each other and they arrived at basically the same time (a year ago) and they still have not worked it out, so YES, "OUT" is a good spray.  First wash the area with plain dish soap and water, and then saturate with OUT.  it may not stop the spraying but it will keep the odors from building up.