Neutered cat peeing (and pooping) everywhere

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 year old neutered male cat. He was neutered about 2/3 years ago which fixed some of his behavioral issues. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago, when he started peeing around the house and sometimes pooping right outside the room where his litter box is. This was when I went abroad for and at the same time a new female kitten showed up outside our house. Could the peeing be a response to the new cat and changes in the environment? If so, how can I stop it/discourage him from doing so?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could the peeing be a response to the new cat and changes in the environment?
Hi, definitely yes.

Can you provide him with Cat Music, and also over-the-counter calming products? Nature's Miracle will help with clean up. Can you move boxes around a bit and maybe use pee pads?

Can you find a way to deter the female cat from being outside your house?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, to all of the possibilities. Not great timing, but what can you do? Are you doing any kind of formal introductions? How are you cleaning the areas where he goes outside the litter box? How old is this kitten? If she hasn't been vetted by a vet, she should be isolated anyway, which goes hand-in-hand with all of the proper things to do in an introduction process anyway.

For now, the kitten needs to have a separate room/space of her own (for a whole host of reasons), and that will also give some breathing room to your resident cat to get over what all has happened - which I think he needs before being put into the position of dealing with another cat. I am loading you up with TCS articles to read, as each has their own set of helpful tips, and will hopefully cross over all of the issues you are having.
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, this was kinda a "perfect storm." His human was gone, and a stranger showed up outside at the same time. I'd try to find a way to deter the kitten from approaching the house. Do you have any clue who it belongs to?

It also would not be a bad idea to have him checked by his vet, just to make certain that some physical issue hasn't cropped up. Changes in potty habits can be the first sign of an illness in cats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a 5 year old neutered male cat. He was neutered about 2/3 years ago which fixed some of his behavioral issues. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago, when he started peeing around the house and sometimes pooping right outside the room where his litter box is. This was when I went abroad for and at the same time a new female kitten showed up outside our house. Could the peeing be a response to the new cat and changes in the environment? If so, how can I stop it/discourage him from doing so?
Yes it could be, but if it's that consistent, I would recommend a vet visit to rule out other health concerns first. The stress of those two things could cause some of those things.

Question: was someone cleaning his litter just as often as you would have while being gone?

1. Don't punish him.
2. Clean up the stuff with enzyme cleaner for cats
3. Consider moving a poo to the box to remind him where to go and just showing him it's there. He will likely run away. That's fine.
4. Consider putting down puppy pee pads, there are reusable ones if you prefer environmentally friendly/saving money long term. Or disposables are at the dollar store for upfront savings
5. Consider contacting a local rescue to remove the kitten (or speaking to your neighbor if it's owned about the stress it's causing your cat and asking them to keep it from your yard)
6. Keep curtains closed so he can't see the kitten
7. Cat calming music and pheromones such as Feliway. YouTube and YouTube music have some featuring purring
8. Catnip or silvervine can help to distract some cats and lower stress
9. Ensure you have at least 2 litters (one per cat plus one) if you don't already. Temporarily remove any covers. Covers can make a stressed cat feel unsafe to use the box.
10. Consider using litter attractant.