Need to replace WBCL after one week?

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cleaned my litterboxes and filled them with fresh litter just over a week ago, and for the past few days I've noticed that even when the box is compeltely scooped out, there's a bad smell - I even tried taking the litter out of the boxes, cleaning them, and putting it back, and the smell is still bad. I have four cats and two boxes, so there's still quite a lot of litter left in both after only a week, so I really do not want to throw it all away and use fresh after only a week - it seems very wasteful, not to mention changing it once a week would be much too expensive. Has anyone else had this problem with WBCL? Those who use WBCL, how often do you need to replace the litter?

mikonu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, what does it smell like? I've been using WBCL for a month and I've only changed it once. I plan on changing it every 2 weeks. I have 3 boys, and there doesn't seem to be any weird smells. After you scoop out the waste, do you stir the litter around? Also, what type of litter box are you using?

If you really want to use something like WBCL, try chicken feed. My parent's have been using it for a week and it works just like WBCL, with even better odor control. I've tried the chicken feed alternative with my boys, but 2 out of 3 refused to use it. I can't imagine why, but majority wins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mikonu

Hmm, what does it smell like? I've been using WBCL for a month and I've only changed it once. I plan on changing it every 2 weeks. I have 3 boys, and there doesn't seem to be any weird smells. After you scoop out the waste, do you stir the litter around? Also, what type of litter box are you using?

If you really want to use something like WBCL, try chicken feed. My parent's have been using it for a week and it works just like WBCL, with even better odor control. I've tried the chicken feed alternative with my boys, but 2 out of 3 refused to use it. I can't imagine why, but majority wins.
It smells as if I haven't cleaned it at all - it's like the smell of the waste has seeped into all of the litter, and it always has that smell, even when I've removed the waste... I do stir it after scooping, and I use covered boxes (which I *have* heard tend to keep the smell in, so maybe that's it, but my kits are litter-flingers, so I definitely can't switch to uncovered!)

Hmmm, chicken feed is a really interesting idea, I'll have to look into it!

mikonu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, have you tried contacting WBCL offices? They might have a better explanation for it. You could've just gotten a bad bag. *shrug*