Need To Board Or Bring On Flight But Not Vaccinated

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kittens are too young for vaccinations and are scheduled for mid January when they get neutered. I am only doing rabies and distemper.

What are my options for either boarding or flying with unvaccinated kittens? Will a boarder accept unvaccinated kittens?

I saw JetBlue doesn’t require any proof of vaccinations for domestic flights, but only one pet per customer at 100/each.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they?

OK, I saw on another thread that they're 10-14 weeks old. That's old enough to have their first FVCRP ("distemper") vaccines. I imagine any boarder will require that much, and I wouldn't recommend flying with them without giving the vaccine first even if it's not required; you never know the health status of the other pets in the area.

Rabies vaccine are not required until 4-6 months in most areas.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A boarder will usually accept an unvaccinated cat with a note from a vet saying why the vaccine has not been given.

That said, I would strongly advise against either flying or boarding for a kitten who has not had at least one FVRCP (distemper) inoculation, and ideally at least the first shot plus a booster. The diseases covered by that combo vaccine are deadly and highly contagious. I would suggest calling your vet and saying your pet needs to travel, so you need to schedule the FVRCP vaccine for as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also keep in mind that in a kitten a vaccine is fully effective only after 2-3 weeks from the booster shot. So your kittens will be fully covered only 6-7 weeks sfter the first shot.