Need some reassurance - Haven't seen my new kitten for the last 24 hours

daremo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 6 months old kitten yesterday and his name is "the Max of Zorro", Max for short.. I had my friends kids come up with a name and they chose Zorro, while cute, didn't really stick with me. I kept feeling Max was a good name, so I combined them and it kind of works. He is chipped.

The reason why I got Max is that he is supposedly very laid back and very affectionate, so I thought putting up with me would be easier on him.

I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment so it was hard to find a quiet place to set him up so he could be alone and acclimate to my apartment. My apartment doesn't have any doors (except for the bathroom). I had the tv on. I am always here and of course last night I had insomnia (not just about wondering if my cat is okay), so I was up cleaning and walking around the whole apartment, sometimes looking for him.  I only left to do laundry and go to the store. 

The sad thing is that since I brought him home I haven't seen or heard from him at all. It doesn't look like he has eaten, drank or used the litter box since I let him out. 

I know it has only been 24 hours but I keep panicking that I already messed up and either killed him or got out of the apartment and any other new cat owner fantasy that you could come up with.  I don't think he got out of the apartment because I was trying to be watchful when I left. Thankfully there are only a stairway and a small closet that he could hide in the hallway and I have looked and listened several times.It is even more doubtful he got outside.

I go looking for him and found him only once around 8pm last night behind the couch and probably added to his stress. 

I have been told that this not unusual behavior for a cat coming into a new environment, BUT IT'S FREAKING ME OUT!!!!! Just having him come out and eat a bit and/or using the letterbox would be reassuring.

Any advice and/or reassurance would be really appreciated!!!

Has anyone seen this CAT!

Regards,

Todd Mogilner

View media item 402480

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello daremo, welcome to TCS :wavey:

Thank you for adopting Max. Yes, they have to be acclimatize to the new place. As this is new to him, he is not used to the place or even gotten use to goo too. They need some time and they need some quiet place to hide for the meantime. They are very good in finding spots to hide and can keep very still and quiet.

You can softly call out his na,e and speak gently to him and maybe read a book or newspaper with a clam voice. And if if look for him, get down on your knees and appear as small as possible. They are intimidated by big objects and you don't want to appear as a giant to him.

Once you find him, try to lure him out with some food or a cat toy nit might take some time, so be patience. Also please do do catch him and drag him out or chase him. This will make him to be more weary of you. You need to boost his confidence in you so that he can trust you.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Open a tin of Tuna place some in dishes where you can easily spot to lure him out of hiding to at least see him.

Check any places he may hide if able to get out of apartment hoping he`s hiding within your place. 

No screens keep all windows closed this new friend needs to be with you for at least 3 weeks solid indoors

Congrats on your new kitty hope you find him.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daremo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have proof of MEOW and life!!

You don't know how happy I am!!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him a break-away collar. They usually come with a small bell attached, and that will let you know where he is. I did that with mine, and it was great in relieving my anxiety about where he was. The slightest movement on the part of the cat will make the bell ring. It's a small ring, not annoying at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daremo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he has finally come out to play and I am thrilled about that. If he keeps up the constant meowing. I definitely will not need the collar. I do like that idea, but I am hoping he will find a place out by me where he will hang out. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well he has finally come out to play and I am thrilled about that. If he keeps up the constant meowing. I definitely will not need the collar. I do like that idea, but I am hoping he will find a place out by me where he will hang out. 
That's great!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he was hiding as he was, he will very likely cry during the night for the first few nights. Silence is first, then vocalization, sometimes non-stop.

Scary new place, new everything, and none of the familiarities he's known, including sibs and familiar people, sibs or maybe mom, sounds, smells, sights.

He's young, and will adapt quickly, meanwhile, make friends :)

Get on the floor on his level, use a feather wand, treats/tuna, make friends.

Soon enough you will gain his trust, causing him to explore his new castle :)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should get him a collar with a bell just in case he does ever get out. That way people will know he has an owner and don't keep him to themselves. People accidentally steal cats pretty often.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You should get him a collar with a bell just in case he does ever get out. That way people will know he has an owner and don't keep him to themselves. People accidentally steal cats pretty often.
He'd also be busted inside if he has a scratch  

Last edited:

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are two things kittens are immune to.
1. Tuna
2. Long white strands of string/ribbon.
My 1yr old was a feral kitten when I found her. Very wary and very cagey. I dangled some white ribbon in front of her and she completely forgot herself.
To this day she can disappear but magically reappear if ribbon is produced.