Need some new advice with new cat.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with basschick basschick , you are doing a wonderful job. Once the trust is there it , will be strong. It sounds as if she is now enjoying your company but needs a little more time.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: You're making amazing progress with Rani :clap: Rolling around like that so close to you is HUGE :D

:cross: That tonight's the night she finds the courage to eat from your hand :vibes:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such great news.  I hope the progress continues.  Keep the updates coming!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it took 2 more days, but she did it! Not only ate out of my hand 3 times, but allowed, even encouraged, me to pet her around the head and under the throat. She's so soft! I was almost in tears. Then we had a good play with the laser pointer (which seems to be the only toy she's really gung ho over) and now she's stretched out on the rug resting, after all that excitement.  

Getting down on the floor with her seemed to help a lot, as long as the back holds out. Actually, getting down there isn't hard.... it's getting back up that's difficult! But she's worth it.

Happy day!
  Never would have gotten this far without the great advice and encouragement from all of you!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh well done. That's great news. All that time and effort on your part has paid off and doesnt the reward feel good. It sounds as if Rani is going to be the cat you want her to be. Keep us updated on the progress you make and enjoy each other's company. So happy for you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woo::banana2::jump::clap::woohoo::dance::hobbes::hyper::banana1::jive::high5::bigthumb::happy2::rockout::rub::lovegrin2 :party::party4::clap2::wow:

That's FANTASTIC news :D I'm so happy for you and Rani :hugs: You were obviously meant for each other :heart4: I'm sure she'll be snuggling with you before long :lovegrin: It was the luckiest day of her life when you brought her home :heart:

Last edited:

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First vet visit today.

After a couple of "honeymoon" days of petting, playing, even lap-sitting, I decided we'd better get the first vet visit over now that I can touch her, because she was sneezing occasionally and breathing a bit noisily when excited. It was easier getting her into the carrier than I expected (love that top-door carrier!) although she was very unhappy about it! Got her over to the vet's office, they checked her over, she said the congestion was probably a virus picked up at the shelter, it would go away, but to watch it. Trimmed her front claws, got a flea treatment, so she's good to go! Vet says she's probably between 10-12 months old, and weighs 7 lbs. In excellent condition.

I thought sure she'd be so mad at me she'd hide for days, but she's already back out in the living room, although meowing a lot. Scolding me, maybe? LOL!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very glad the vet visit went well :D I had my girl at the vet yesterday (checkup) and she shouted at all of us about it for the rest of the day :rolleyes: I think sometimes they just like to complain at us afterwards :lol3:

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lovely health young cat. Who could ask for more. Glad the vets visit wasnt too stressful for you both.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking in to see what progress has been made with Rani. I hope she is becoming more relaxed and friendly. Please let us have an update

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking, Verna! :)

We're doing very well! She's still avoiding my lap (since the traumatic carrier/vet incident) but will lay on the sofa arm, right next to me, and enjoy a thorough petting session. Just the last couple of days she's ventured onto the bed WHILE I WAS IN IT! but stays out of reach, not yet figuring out she could score some pets while there. She hangs out with me in the living room most mornings and evenings, disappears into the bedroom for a good sleep during the afternoons. She's hidden every single portable toy she has (mice, balls, birds), so I'm trying to figure out where they all are. LOL!  She doesn't seem to get bored with the ball-in-a-wheel toy, or with the laser pointer! Loves that thing! My grandson-in-law assembled a great cat tree for her, but she hasn't shown much interest in it yet.

I'm gradually transitioning her over from the kitten chow to a good Natural cat food, and will then try for mostly canned natural high-protein food, and timed feedings. Done a lot of research on the subject, but there don't seem to be any definite answers as to what to feed, and how much! At least I know more now than I did in all the years of owning cats, when we thought just buying a decent brand of dry food at the supermarket was the right thing to do. Yikes!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Couldnt agree more about the food. I fed my oldies on kitekat, whiskers as such and they lived to a decent age. I now spend a fortune on food for the three I have now but they wont eat the good stuff, obviously junk food addicts.

Glad things are going in the right direction for you and Rani. This time next year you won't be able to get her off your lap[emoji]128522[/emoji].

Last edited:

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Rani: We're doing great, she's a treasure! I've never known such a gentle young cat -- she was easily persuaded to use her designated scratching posts, doesn't knock things off shelves or chew wires, just plays with her own toys. She loves to play fetch with her favorite stuffed mouse -- but what a drama if she loses it! The only time I've been scratched was by accident when she thought she was falling off my lap! :D My last goal was to be able to pick her up while standing, and we've finally gotten there!

The transition over to mostly canned food was slow, lots of resistance from the princess. But one day she just refused to eat the dry stuff and cried until I gave her canned food, has been chowing it down ever since. She's eating one 5.5 ounce can of Merrick's Grain-free chicken pate divided between two feedings, and 1/8 to 1/4 cup of Nature's Variety Ultimate Protein dry overnight. She weighs almost 8 lbs now, slim and muscular. (I want her to be flexible between wet and dry food in case other family members have to take care of her in case of illness, etc.) She has a water fountain, and drinks lots of water, has never had any kind of litter box problem. The only glitch is that she refuses any other brands of canned food! I must have tried dozens of brands and flavors, she just walks away. I've tried all the tricks listed in articles here and other sites, nothing works on her. It's a good food, no problem there, but what if they change the formula?

So... overall, great progress. She's a joy to have around, keeps me entertained. My oldest child passed away last fall at only 53, so the months since then were pretty depressed until Rani came to live with me. She gives me somebody to think about besides myself, which is a very good thing! Sorry to ramble on, but my friends and relatives are getting a little tired of hearing about the wonderful Rani, I suspect. :D

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know how things are going. I am so pleased for you. I've just read your post from March, so much progress. Well done.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful update :clap: You've both come such a long way since Rani first came home. She's a truly special girl, and is SO lucky to have you as her mom :agree:

With the food - have you tried using toppers? Crumbled Purebites-style treats, FortiFlora (used as a 'seasonings rather than for the probiotic, so ignore the dosage ;) ), bonito flakes, or even bashed up kibble (I put some in a plastic baggie and go to town with a rolling pin :smash:) are all great options, and can go a long way towards encouraging a cat to eat new foods. Another trick is to mix a little of the new food into the current one (start with a teaspoon and work up), to introduce the new flavour that way. It's always wise to have a backup brand or two in the mix, in case of recipe changes (as you say), supply screw ups or even recalls.

I'm just SO happy for you both :hugs: Its truly a testament to your love, care and patience that she's come so far :hearthrob:

I'm so sorry to hear about your child's passing :( There just aren't words :hugs: Cats are such healing animals to have around, and I think Rani was definitely meant for you :itslove: As for 'rambling' about her, ramble away! This is one place where you can be sure of an enthusiastic and understanding ear - we're all here because of our love of cats!:lovecat3:

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It truly warms my heart to read you come together with her like this. You're a great, patient person and you guys deserve eachother :redheartpump::vibes: Much luck to both of you, you're doing an aswesome job.