Need some new advice with new cat.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had cats all my life, but this is a situation I haven't encountered before.

A bit of background: I'm retired, live alone in a comfortable house, no other pets. My previous long-time companion cat, Zoe, died in January of 2016, which was very traumatic. I just didn't feel up to rushing out to replace her, I figured I would know when the time was right, or it would just happen. Well, the time apparently became right just recently, because I found myself thinking more and more often that I wanted a new kitty. I've always admired Scottish Folds, so I toyed with the idea of getting one. But after more thought, and a long talk with my granddaughter (who's a 30 year old nurse, not a kid! LOL!) we decided it would be better to get a youngish shelter cat who needs a good home. (She promised to take care of it if it outlives me.) Obviously, I'm a senior, with a 30 year old granddaughter!

So, I went to the next Saturday cat adoption event at a local pet store. They had several ncie cats, but I fell for a lovely "blue" one with amber eyes, about half-grown. The only picture I have so far was taken at the pet store on that day. The lady who had fostered her was there, and told me she was shy, but sweet. They had her listed as a "Russian Blue" and had therefore named her Ronya. I learned with more research after bringing her home that she's probably not a Russian Blue, but could be called a Maltese cat, or just a plain old blue DSH. (Which is fine with me!) At any rate, I didn't care for the name, so I call her Rani. (Hindi for Queen, sounds like Ronnie.). She had been spayed, tested, immunized, and has a chip. The shelter folks thought she was almost 1 year old, but the vet's paperwork lists her birthdate as August 25, 2016, probably his best guess. So she's somewhere between 8 months and a year. Altogether, a lovely little cat!

I got her home safely, took her into the master bath, planning to restrict her to that area for a while. This is where I made my first mistake... I opened the carrier and let her out before I had everything set up. Like a shot, she was gone into the bedroom or walk-in closet and out of sight. I went ahead and set up her litter box, food and water in the large master bath. (It's sort of "en suite" with the bedroom, no doors between, only double doors to the rest of the house.) At this point I didn't know where she was within that area... I looked under the bed, behind clothes in the closet, behind furniture... no sign of her. Well, to make this long story a bit shorter... I've only had a couple of glimpses of her since, and that was a week and a half ago. She used the litter box and started eating and drinking the next day, so no problems there. After a couple of days I left the doors to the master suite open but closed the doors to other bedrooms, guest bath, and laundry, hoping she'd get curious enough to explore. I also got a Feliway diffuser set up in the master bath (her place), but I don't really know if it's made any difference. On the plus side, twice now she has found her way down the hall to the living area while I was there. (I'm pretty sure she explores at night.) The first time she looked shocked to see me, then galloped for "her place". The second time she got all the way into the living room and was looking around before I saw her and spoke to her. She looked at me reasonably calmly, then she trotted (no galloping this time) back to safety.

Seems like progress, right? But yet I'm wondering if she'll eventually settle in and allow me to (Shock! Horror!) touch her? Am I doing the right thing in giving her all the time and patience she needs, or should I be more aggressive? Right now if she was to get sick I'd have a devil of a time getting her to the vet, because not only do I not know where she hides, she still runs like demons were pursuing her if I approach her. As I said earlier, I'm a senior, with a pretty severe spinal condition, and not able to move furniture or climb under beds to chase cats. Maybe I don't even have any business trying to take care of one? Oh, that sounds pitiful! If worse came to worse, my granddaughter would come and help. (Pause for self-administered slap... I needed that!)

Since she was pretty thoroughly checked out by a vet already and seems in good health, do you think it's OK to wait until she's more socialized before forcing that visit? I know it's recommended ASAP, but it would be difficult at this point.

So... any suggestions?

PS: While I was writing this, I heard a couple of little kitty sneezes from the hallway.. then Rani peeked her nose into the living room and gave a a little "mew" at me. Then she was gone again. (I hope the sneezes are just from dust!)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

Rani is absolutely gorgeous :heart3: I can see exactly why you fell for her!

It sounds like she's just very shy and nervy at the moment - nothing at all uncommon in shelter cats. Do you know anything about her background prior to the shelter? They should be able to tell you how she came to be with them, if nothing else. That would be a good start point. It's possible that she hasn't had a lot of human interaction in her short life. If that's the case, she'll take longer to warm up to you.

Can your granddaughter come over and give you a hand making the apartment more suitable for cat taming? With a shy girl like this, the best thing to do is to remove any areas where she can make herself inaccessible. This means blocking off hidey-holes (under furniture, behind bookcases etc) and then supplying a couple of of dens were she can feel safe without totally blocking herself off from you. An upside down cardboard box with an entryway cut in the side is ideal. Just pop a blanket in so she has something to snuggle with. If you feel like splurging, she'll probably really appreciate an igloo/cave type bed too.

As you'll have difficulty catching her if she does need a vet, I strongly suggest utilising the cat carrier as a cave too - tie the door open, put something soft and snuggly inside and leave it out. Maybe even start feeding her in there so that it's a really positive place to be. That way, it'll be a piece of cake to get her in there for a vet visit :evilgrin:

Ideally, you want her to be confined to one room right now, as that will make the taming process quicker and easier. Having said that, she's certainly seeming confident in the apartment, and it sounds as though she is making progress with you too. It'll just take longer to fully gain her trust.

The two biggest tools for cat taming are food (the yummier and stinkier the better!), and interactive play. Try having her food in the area where you spend the most time. She should get bolder as time goes on, and will associate you with food and good things. Having her on timed meals will help too, but that can be difficult in the early stages, especially when she has the run of the apartment. Another trick is to use an extra yummy treats food as a bribe - many people here swear by canned tuna (just not in brine ;) ) or plain meat baby foods (no garlic/onions). Warming them to bring out the aroma will make them even more irresistible :drool: With these, work towards her eating closer and closer to you - feeding her from a spoon ( the first step towards hand feeding) if you're able. It's a great way to build trust ;)

Interactive playtime is a wonderful way to bid with her and increase her confidence, so it really is a win-win :) Use a wand type toy (such as Da Bird) and really get her engaged and moving. Her natural hunting instinct should take over, and she'll be playing with you very quickly. Shy cats will often engage in play like this way before they're confident enough for any kind of closer contact. The beauty of wand toys is that they don't require a lot of flexibility or even movement on your part, so your spinal issue shouldn't be a problem :)

As far as the vet visit goes, that can definitely wait for now, but do call the vet and get her registered with them. An emergency is NOT the time to find a vet ;) [article="32735"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="31129"][/article][article="32656"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Columbine, thanks for your reply, and the excellent advice! I'll proceed with putting as much as I can into action. 

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a fabulous cat. I have not been on a position as yours but Columbine has it covered. I'm sure with time and patience she will be a loving friend. Let us know how it goes please.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I walked into the bedroom to put away some laundry. I saw Rani was hiding behind the drapes, so I chatted with her while I was working. After a minute or two she gave a couple of little mews, I answered, she mewed again. Not a distressed sound at all, more like a greeting. I might be crazy, but it felt good, as if she was at least communicating with me, and not so afraid to let me know where she was. In the past she would have been completely silent.

I'm also gradually moving her food and water down the hall towards the kitchen, where she'll eventually be fed. So far so good.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rani is gorgeous! That's wonderful progress the 2 of you have made.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful news Maryah :clap::high5: I forgot to say, meowing to nervous cats is a wonderful thing to do, and is a trick I used when staying to gain the confidence of a couple of ferals I was trying to trap. Meowing is very commonly used when working with ferals - it's a great way of telling them you're friendly and not a threat :D Try to avoid direct eye contact too, and slow-blink a lot (cat for I'm friendly and I trust you - often called the 'cat I love you' ;) ).

Keep up the good work. I'm positive you'll gain Rani's trust before too long :hugs::vibes:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well done. That sounds like progress. Whenever I had a new cat, I always sat in the room and talked or read to it( sound advice I had off this site). I look forward to your next post on the progress Rani is making.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! It seems all I had to do was reach out for help, and everything fell into place. This morning I got up, did the kitty-chores as usual without a glimpse of Rani. I came out to the living room with my coffee... and a few minutes later here she was, strolling around as if she'd been here all her life. I had been keeping the wand toy at hand, so I introduced her to it, remembering to slow-blink whenever our eyes met. She was wary of it at first, but kept coming back to investigate. I don't think she's ever had anyone just play with her like this before. We had some good interactive play, and then she sat down just a few feet away to groom herself and rest. I didn't try to touch or approach her in any other way this time. She stayed for a good hour and a half, coming back for a little more play from time to time, and a bit of grooming. Eventually, she got up and stretched, then strolled back down the hall to where her food and litter box still are.

Here are a couple of pics.. sorry they're a bit blurry, I hadn't yet found the zoom control on my smart phone, so had to crop them manually, afterwards.

And the last one: "Don't bother me while I'm grooming myself!"

I couldn't get one while playing.. not enough hands. Next goal... being able to actually touch her. I'm not going to rush her though, she obviously responds best to quiet patience. Thanks again to all of you for your help and interest!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout:

That's HUGE! What wonderful progress in such a short time :D Such a stunning little girl too :love::heart2::heart3::heart2::love: She's certainly looking very relaxed now :9:

You're absolutely right not to rush things. Listen to Rani, and trust your instincts - they're obviously great :nod: This update just made my day :lovegrin2

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't able to get my cat Milly away from looking at and batting the computer screen full of Columbine's enticing smileys till now :D
but I just read your story, and it looks like Rani is really adjusting well!

I was just going to say that cleaning the cat litter box often brings a cat out of hiding so that they can see what the heck you are doing with their box, but I think you may have mentioned that possibly happening this morning, since you said, "This morning I got up, did the kitty-chores as usual without a glimpse of Rani. I came out to the living room with my coffee... and a few minutes later here she was, strolling around as if she'd been here all her life."
;)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything seems to be working well for you and Rani. Such progress in a short time. Can't wait to see photos of her on your lap. She is such a pretty girl.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just checking in after a few days. Things are much the same here... Rani wanders into the living room once or twice a day, but is still very skittish. She doesn't seem very interested in playing, although she did find the feather wand toy and drag it back to her lair one night. I really doubt if any human has ever played with her before. I got one of those Cat Dancer toys with the long snake-like appendage.. and it seemed to scare her to death! LOL! She finally approached it after I let it lay still for a few minutes, but as soon as she touched it and it moved, she jumped and ran for safety. She talks to me when I meow at her, and we carry on conversations that way, but no progress on being able to actually touch her. I've tried a head-bumpable fist, like some articles recommend, and also a palms-down stretched out style. She won't come anywhere near a hand, even if it's holding a treat, and runs for it if I even move my foot. The TV seems to scare her too. Poor little thing, I wonder what her previous life was like, to be so afraid of everything. It got warm enough here the last couple of days to open the front and back doors, keeping the security screens locked of course. The view of the outside freaks her out too. <sigh>

As for food, I'm moving it down the hallway toward the kitchen, she seems to adjust without any trouble. I'm also putting small bits of chicken Fancy Feast in her carrier, which is near her food/water dishes. She's eating those.

Ahh, well, I'll keep trying. It'll be 3 weeks Saturday.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its still early days, don't get disheartened. It will happen. Just keep on paying her attention and trying to engage her in playing. She is warm, well fed and safe and that's good enough for now.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its still early days, don't get disheartened. It will happen. Just keep on paying her attention and trying to engage her in playing. She is warm, well fed and safe and that's good enough for now.
:yeah: Be patient, and think baby steps. She will come round in time. shadowsrescue shadowsrescue has a lot more experience with skittish cats than I do. Hopefully she'll be able to give you more tips and tricks. I know she's had success with spraying herself with Feliway when trying to get a cat more confident around her. Sounds odd, but definitely worth a try ;)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Feliway spray has helped with very shy cats.  I take a bit spray it on my hands and then rub down my arms, torso and legs.   It doesn't take too much.  The product I use is called Comfort Zone spray.  I order it on Amazon or Entirely Pets.

For now, I would try to confine her in the smallest space you can.  I would keep the other rooms closed since the more freedom she has, the less likely she will be to want to come out and associate with you.  If possible, I would block off areas that you know she may be hiding.  It may look unsightly for awhile, but it is worth it.  Right now I am working with a feral/stray I brought into my home right after Christmas.  He is just now getting out of his safe room ( as I have 2 other cats and a large dog).  He likes to spend time in my den, but he often would hide under the tv cabinet or book cases.  I had to put pillows and large books all around.  My den looks terrible, but it does the trick.  I had to do the same around one of the beds as I did not want him hiding under the bed.  Is it possible to have someone come over and help you block off under the areas she is hiding?  To be safe, I would block off all areas that she can get under since when you block off one space, she will only find another.

As for play, you can try a laser pointer.  I have also found that a simple shoe lace is loads of fun.  I try hiding part of it under a blanket/towel and pulling it.  I too have a Cat Dancer and my latest scaredy boy was petrified of it.  He now loves it, but at first it was just too much.  Have you tried any fun catnip toys or any plain catnip on a towel or scratchy mat?

Food is definitely your friend.  I try to establish a routine where each day at a certain time ( I actually do this 2-3x a day) I have a bag of plain cooked chicken that I use just for the cats.  I usually make a whole chicken and safe all the dark meat for the cats.  I portion it into ziplock bags and store it in the freezer and pull it out as needed.  Each time I sit down to work with the cat(s), I shake the baggie.  The cats learn to associate the sound with the yummy food.  I am sure to sit on the floor as you don't want to loom over the cat by sitting above them or standing over them.  Shy scared cats hate this.  So if possible sit on the floor, shake the bag and offer a few small bites of chicken.  You can even just toss them in her direction.  Keep doing this over and over.  It can be a start to her learning you are ok and a start to getting close enough to pet.  Canned tuna or salmon can also be used.  Yet you want the food to be extra delicious and special.

You can also use Gerber Stage 2 chicken or turkey baby food.  It comes in a small glass jar with a blue label.  The only ingredients are chicken, turkey, water and food starch.  You don't want any added salt or spices.  Cats go crazy for this.  You can start to tap the jar with a spoon and offer some in a dish.  Then work towards her coming close to eat the baby food off the spoon or your finger.  

As for petting, once you can get her close with food rewards, you can start to pet her with the end of a feather wand or other wand toy.  It's often best to try to pet them when their backs are to you so they don't see it coming.  You also can make a "pet petter" by using a long wooden dowel, stick or wand.  Cover the end with an old sock.  I just use duct tape to secure.  I then add a soft piece of flannel.  You can use this to try and touch her from a far.  Yet also start when her back is turned.  I will add a picture of my pet petter to the end of this message.

Shy cats take lots and lots of time and patience.  Consistency works best too.  Try a schedule where you try the tips at a certain time each day.  Maybe mid morning, mid afternoon and again in the evening.  It may be 1 step forward and 2 steps back for awhile, but keep working.

Here's a great article with some tips for working with shy cats.   You can just read through and see if anything resonates with you.

http://bestfriends.org/resources/socializing-cats-how-socialize-very-shy-or-fearful-cat

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, folks, for the encouragement and additional tips. I'll keep you posted!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout::wow::clap::high5::jump::woohoo::banana1::hyper::clap2::banana2::woo::party4::hobbes::jive::rockout:
LOL. Wondering how long it took Columbine to make her post. [emoji]128526[/emoji]

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, it's been over a week since I last checked in, Rani's been here just over 4 weeks. She's gained more confidence around the house, her food and water are totally in the kitchen now, she's still eating well. She comes into the living room and keeps me company by lying on the floor a couple of feet away from me -- plays a little, watches me closely. I've slid down to the floor to sit in front of the sofa the last couple of evenings and offered her chicken Purebites treats on the flat of my hand, which is on the floor. All the time she's watching, purring, rolling, and stretching as if she's totally unconcerned, but each time she straightens up she's a couple of inches closer. LOL!  She hasn't yet taken it, but she has wriggled and crept up close enough to gently touch my hand with her paws -- then she scares herself and retreats. I've been very careful not to move my hand. Maybe tonight she'll stay brave long enough to actually take the treat.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you're doing great with Rani, and even though you haven't gotten to pet her yet, sounds like she's getting comfortable with you.  just keep talking to her and sitting with her, as it sounds like you're doing a wonderful job of building trust between you :)