Need some help/advice

chumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to bother everyone but need some help and/or advice on a stray cat that showed up on our deck last week. It needs some medical care and it is not feral. It allows you to pet it, rub its head, and when you go out on the deck it follows you around and will sit by you. Tried to clean it up the best we could (hates water!). Bought some food and we feed it. We live in Illinois, about 20 miles south of Rockford, and I have called rescue shelters all the way out to Chicago and south to Lasalle-Peru. Some won't take the cat because it needs medical care and others have not called me back at all. Even had one in Rockford kind of yell at me because we fed the cat! We rent and have a no pet clause in our contract.

Can anyone here give us some advice on how to find a shelter to place this poor cat or I will have to call the local sheriff's office and they will probably put the cat down. Really don't want to do that. Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried calling a vet? Some vet offices will take a pet to treat and try to find its owner or a place to foster/adopt.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Goldy suggested, take the cat to a vet, They can check to see if it has a chip which will help them find the owner. If nothing else, the vet might know someone who might adopt the ca. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to both of you for your quick replies. I tried calling a vet here in town when the cat first appeared but they were not very helpful. Will try to locate some other vets and give them a call and see what happens. Again, thank you!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your local Animal Control or ASPCA. They can pick it up and get it treated and then hopefully find it a new home.

chumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is an update on what I have tried: Called a couple of vets in the area and they basically told me there is nothing they can really do and to just keep trying the shelters; also called our local animal control office and am still waiting for them to call me back; have also called a few more shelters with no luck. Hopefully, one of the shelters I contacted and left a message with will call me back and say they can take the cat. See what happens.

Thank you to all who have responded and given us advice on this predicament. Much appreciated.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is an update on what I have tried: Called a couple of vets in the area and they basically told me there is nothing they can really do and to just keep trying the shelters; also called our local animal control office and am still waiting for them to call me back; have also called a few more shelters with no luck. Hopefully, one of the shelters I contacted and left a message with will call me back and say they can take the cat. See what happens.

Thank you to all who have responded and given us advice on this predicament. Much appreciated.
Hmm.. I work for a Police Department and hear calls go out all the time for Animal Control people to come pick up animals and it's always a ASAP type deal especially for an injured animal. That is why I suggested it. :ohwell:

chumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm.. I work for a Police Department and hear calls go out all the time for Animal Control people to come pick up animals and it's always a ASAP type deal especially for an injured animal. That is why I suggested it. :ohwell:
Going to give them a call again first thing in the morning and see if I can speak with someone. Left a message last time I called them.

chumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news! Wife and I were in the food store earlier and I went to pick up some more cat food. Got into a conversation with a gentleman who was also buying some cat food and mentioned the stray cat on our deck. He has a daughter who is a vet tech. He called her for me and I explained the situation. She will check with her Vet to see if it is okay for her dad to bring the cat to them tomorrow because they do some charity work to help out strays and injured animals. They also help in adopting those animals out to the public. Will see what happens and let everyone know how things go.

Also, by the way, I made a mistake by calling animal control directly. Was told that I should call the police (sheriff) dept. and they will contact animal control. My fault. Hope I never have to do this again.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news! Wife and I were in the food store earlier and I went to pick up some more cat food. Got into a conversation with a gentleman who was also buying some cat food and mentioned the stray cat on our deck. He has a daughter who is a vet tech. He called her for me and I explained the situation. She will check with her Vet to see if it is okay for her dad to bring the cat to them tomorrow because they do some charity work to help out strays and injured animals. They also help in adopting those animals out to the public. Will see what happens and let everyone know how things go.

Also, by the way, I made a mistake by calling animal control directly. Was told that I should call the police (sheriff) dept. and they will contact animal control. My fault. Hope I never have to do this again.
Oops! Guess I should have been more specific. Glad you might be finally getting her some help.

chumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, back to square one. The vet did not want to accept new clients at this time due to Covid. You would think the vet tech I spoke with last night would know this. This is the third vet clinic that told me this. Anyway, the gentleman that helped me last night is going to ask around to see if someone in his circle of contacts might be willing to help.

I also found out today that my county here in Illinois, Ogle County, animal control does not do cats. Sheriff Dept. told me that animal control will come out for dogs and some other animals but not cats. They said that its been like that for a long time.

Will try to reach some other rescue places tomorrow and Monday and see what happens. Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 would any of your organizations be helpful here? The OP is in Ogle County, Illinois with a friendly stray that needs medical attention, and covid has caused the local vets to stop taking "new" patients.

chumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thought you might want to see a photo of our guest. Here is a picture of the little guy taking a snooze after we fed him his supper.
Stray_Cat.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 would any of your organizations be helpful here? The OP is in Ogle County, Illinois with a friendly stray that needs medical attention, and covid has caused the local vets to stop taking "new" patients.
I have no idea, as I'm in L.A. and things are pretty much in an uproar due to the pandemic and the government shutting down spay/neuter. But yes, they can check AlleyCat.org and BestFriends.org.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Geez, I hope somebody will help you-all. What if you emailed the vets with his photo?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to bother everyone but need some help and/or advice on a stray cat that showed up on our deck last week. It needs some medical care and it is not feral. It allows you to pet it, rub its head, and when you go out on the deck it follows you around and will sit by you. Tried to clean it up the best we could (hates water!). Bought some food and we feed it. We live in Illinois, about 20 miles south of Rockford, and I have called rescue shelters all the way out to Chicago and south to Lasalle-Peru. Some won't take the cat because it needs medical care and others have not called me back at all. Even had one in Rockford kind of yell at me because we fed the cat! We rent and have a no pet clause in our contract.

Can anyone here give us some advice on how to find a shelter to place this poor cat or I will have to call the local sheriff's office and they will probably put the cat down. Really don't want to do that. Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Animal Control probably would put the cat down, too. Most ACCs are NOT friends of animals -- "control" should be the clue there. You can try contacting Alley Cat Allies and Best Friends Animal Society Get Help and Search and also use your computer's search engine (google, bing) and input "cat rescue in (your search areas), IL" for listings. You can also look on animalrescuedirectory.net, from which you can select your State and see listings of organizations. Please do not give up on this little cat. Thank you for caring and helping him.

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you!
Do you have a local pet supply store? A lot of times they work with rescue leagues and may be able to give you some contact info.
Thank you so much for helping this poor baby. May be another victim of covid times.
Good luck!