Need reassurance on their diet please!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sally, just email [email protected] to let them know you've got some questions and would really like to chat with someone. I know others here have talked to Marta and found her to be very helpful. Email response is pretty quick, I emailed them before asking for the nutrient profile of the supplement, and she replied quickly, and was very sweet and helpful in the email. :nod:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 And can someone please help me with how to use the Alnutrin calculators?  I can't even figure out how to key in the amount of Alnutrin I use, or is that just a given? 
They figure out the Alnutrin amount based on the other ingredients you select to use. The amount is shown at the top middle of the page as a percent ('Alnutrin with Calcium (%)'). Just above that is the calcium/phosphorus ratio. To the right is the amount in grams. The only way you can change the Alnutrin amount is to modify the percent field. After changing it click somewhere outside of the percent field to have the other values update.
 I emailed them before asking for the nutrient profile of the supplement, and she replied quickly, and was very sweet and helpful in the email. 
Did she give it to you? If so, I'd like to compare it with what I have.

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Sally,  I believe the Alnutrin calculator is only figured for boneless meats.  Maybe Marta has something on her computer for the bone-in meats.  I know she (rather quickly) created a calculator for me using boneless meats not already on her website.  I've never talked to her on the phone, always by email.  She seems to respond early in the morning.  The couple times I've emailed her before, she responded about 6:00 AM the following day. 

The calculator is not as user friendly as one would hope, because it's all based on a percentage of the total mix, including water. You can't just add in 4 ounces of egg whites and see what it does to the total Ca:p ratio, you have to figure the ratio of the 4 ounces to the overall.  With my recent batches, I've been mixing my food with Alnutrin to come out close to 1.2:1, and then add in about 1/2 tablespoon egg whites, or 1/2 tsp squash, or a chicken heart to my mixed, portioned meal (about 1.5 ounces) without adding additional Alnutrin or calcium.  I tried to play around with the calculator to see how it would end up if they were added in the beginning, but not change the amount of Alnutrin.  It was still within the proper range for Ca:p.  I don't remember the actual ratio now.  I should probably try it again and write it down.  I don't add those options to every meal, so I don't really want to make my mix to always take into account those added items. 

What about cooked meats?  Has he rejected that as well?  I've been cooking certain meats and add Alnutrin and water.  It's become a different topper to the turkey mix (again on a rotating basis) and they seem to enjoy it.    I'm editing here to say the reason I'm now cooking some meats is Lewis stopped eating some of his raw meats, or more accurately, he started vomiting meals that included those meats.  He keeps those meats down when cooked.  Not raw, but still wholesome, and variety from the raw ground turkey.

But to address your question of adding the egg whites, the Ca:p for egg whites is .47:1.  It should lower your bone ratio a little, but to have much affect, I'd think you'd have to add a lot.  Based on mschauer's calculation above, she mentioned adding several pounds of meat to bring down your current ratio to 7% bone.  That's a lot of egg whites.  :)   Lori

Last edited: