Need prayers,vibes,good thoughts for Vidia

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we adopted Hannah, she spent the first week of her life at the vet's because of a horrible, very serious URI.  She was so sick they didn't expect her to make it through the first night she was there.  In addition to the URI, she had worms, fleas, and giardia.  She wouldn't eat a lot for them.  I went to the vet's office every day for a little while to visit her.  They'd bring her into one of the exam rooms and I'd love on her and she'd eat the whole can of food!  I then started dropping by late in the evening after work.  The vet's office "closed" at 6, but he'd stay late almost every evening taking care of patients, so they let me stay as well.  Daily, I took a took a towel that I'd used the previous day for her to put in her cage so she'd smell my scent.  She's doing great 8 years later!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stephanie glad to hear your Hannah pulled through. I'll have to ask if that's an option at the vet the rescue uses...but I wouldn't be surprised if they won't let me. Even when you take a pet in for a check up there, you relinquish them at the counter and they call you when they're done. Not an ideal vet in my opinion..but he's the one all our local rescues use (not my personal vet)

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When we adopted Hannah, she spent the first week of her life at the vet's because of a horrible, very serious URI.  She was so sick they didn't expect her to make it through the first night she was there.  In addition to the URI, she had worms, fleas, and giardia.  She wouldn't eat a lot for them.  I went to the vet's office every day for a little while to visit her.  They'd bring her into one of the exam rooms and I'd love on her and she'd eat the whole can of food!  I then started dropping by late in the evening after work.  The vet's office "closed" at 6, but he'd stay late almost every evening taking care of patients, so they let me stay as well.  Daily, I took a took a towel that I'd used the previous day for her to put in her cage so she'd smell my scent.  She's doing great 8 years later!
What a wonderful story about one brave kitty! It’s wonderful to hear that Hannah went through so much and that you took such good care of her - I’m sure that Vidia will follow in her paw-steps on the way to recovery.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He vet said she is eating better but not enough to come home. I asked if I could visit, but technically she's in ICU, so it's not allowed.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well that's a bummer that you can't visit, but good news that she's improving!!  Go, Vidia, go little girl so you can come home to your foster Meowmy!

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On the bright side...maybe she'll be so over her uri,when she finally comes home, that her and Zoey will be able to play.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks ya'll.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said her congestion is improving but she's still not eating as much as they want her to be...spending the night still.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least she's improving.  If she's getting fluids, that might contribute to not eating as much.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going to pick Vidia up today!!!!! Squee!!!!

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for thoughts and prayers. And yes continue them...she's still a sick girl and so tiny!!
She has herpes as well as a uri. How contagious is herpes? I don't plan on putting her with Zoey until she's better but I have never dealt with herpes before.
She is a very sweet kitten, purring like crazy. I mixed her a broth of wet food, dry food, kitten milk and chicken baby food. She drank all the milk first but ate quite a bit of the food too.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, lovely to hear that little Vidia is now finally at home. You must be happy to have her back.

Have the vets talked about medications for helping with the URI and Herpes? One holistic approach is to treat with L-Lysine rather than antibiotics. It would certainly be a more gentle approach for such as wee thing. Worth having a dialogue about this with the vet. I believe the herpes virus can be contagious but most cats have been immunized against it and may have a strong enough immunity to it. Still, its probably a good idea to keep little Vidia away from your other cat for a few days. I am always leery of what is going around in my vet clinic, even though they put a lot of effort into cleaning surfaces and keeping things clean in general. I keep a close eye out after each visit.

Many positive vibes and warm thoughts for Vidia to continue getting better and stronger

Last edited:

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks One and a half cats. Vidia is actually a foster so I don't have much input to her treatments. She has antibiotics for the uri and viralys paste for the herpes. Our personal kitten (a foster fail) Zoey has only had her first round of shots, so I know we won't be letting them play together, even though I was really looking forward to that. We are very happy to have her back home..even though she was only here one night before she went to the vet!

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks One and a half cats. Vidia is actually a foster so I don't have much input to her treatments. She has antibiotics for the uri and viralys paste for the herpes. Our personal kitten (a foster fail) Zoey has only had her first round of shots, so I know we won't be letting them play together, even though I was really looking forward to that. We are very happy to have her back home..even though she was only here one night before she went to the vet!
Yay for you and Vidia- she must be so happy to be back home in her little safe haven
 As oneandahalfcats said, it's good that you're treating the Herpes with L-Lysine. It certainly helps.  Zoey must be happy to have her BFF home. 

More positive vibes for her speedy recovery! 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for thoughts and prayers. And yes continue them...she's still a sick girl and so tiny!!
She has herpes as well as a uri. How contagious is herpes? I don't plan on putting her with Zoey until she's better but I have never dealt with herpes before.
She is a very sweet kitten, purring like crazy. I mixed her a broth of wet food, dry food, kitten milk and chicken baby food. She drank all the milk first but ate quite a bit of the food too.
Good girl, Vidia!!  So glad she's well enough to be at home.

Did they do the PCR test for herpes, or is the doctor just assuming she has it because of her symptoms?  There is a specific test for the herpes virus that's very accurate.  Herpes attacks the immune system of a cat or kitten who is malnourished if they are exposed to a kitty who is a carrier and/or a cat who is actively shedding the virus because they are having a flare up.  Generally, it's not contagious if your other kitties are healthy, which most likely is the case.  However, you can share the upper respiratory infection if you don't wash your hands and change your clothes after being exposed to her and holding Vidia.  Also, it may take longer for Vidia to get well due to the virus since it compromises the immune system.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if they did a test or just assumed. Actually Zoey has never met Vidia and may not. Zoey is in good health. Vidia currently lives in our back bathroom, so she doesn't transmit her uri to Zoey. Yes lots of hand washing and changing clothes going on. I have to block under the doorway as well because both are small enough to fit underneath. It's a challenge, both are very interested in what's on the other side of the door....and both are very quick!!
Vidia is a little sweetheart, definitely a lap kitty. Constantly wanting to be petted and kneading you with her paws, it's adorable!
I really don't see how she wasn't eating at the vet's, she chose down every time I've taken her some?! I really think she could have come home sooner, it's less stressful here.