Need More Help With Bob And His Diarrhea Medicine (hissing More)

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have more info posted about Bob (the feral cat) in my other post too (need help socializing feral cat with indoor cats). I’m having trouble getting him to eat his food with the medicine (Metronidazole) for his diarrhea mixed in it. I tried two different flavors of canned food and even tuna and a pill pocket and he won’t fall for it. Overnight he only touched a couple bites. Is there anything else we can try or something that doesn’t have a taste to help with diarrhea? I hope this is coming from the roundworms but it seems like he’s going backwards. Yesterday when my husband was cleaning up some of the diarrhea in his kennel, he hissed at him. Today I was cleaning and he bounced around in the carrier and was hissing at me. He hasn’t done this since we first had him so I’m not sure what’s going on and if he just doesn’t feel good? I don’t know if we should bring him back to the vet but the last visit they charged almost $500 and I’m afraid they aren’t doing the right things for him? I want to help Bob and we planned to bring him in the house but now I’m afraid to do that when he’s hissing at us.

Any ideas would really help.

Thanks.

Diane

nancyhiner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Diane, I have a feral in my house I had to bring inside because I moved and couldn't leave her with nothing for the winter. I have been caring for her for over 10 years and she still won' t let me touch her. She did develop diarrhea and I tried everything, including the med you have your boy on, which made it worse. She had it terribly for weeks, I tried every thing and nothing helped. I finally decided to try what a lot of people online had suggested, which is canned pumpkin. Get 100% pure canned pumpkin, I use Libbey's. I started by giving her about 1-2 teaspoons in her wet food and in about 1 to 2 days she was having formed stools. You need to watch how much it takes to help him get to normal, you don't want to get him to where he is constipated! I give my girl one and a half teaspoons with each wet meal, and she gets two of those each day with some dry food always available. Of course, I had her wormed and treated by the vet before she came in, so I knew it wasn't anything obvious. Give it a try, they love the pumpkin taste, and will eat it plain, like a treat! Good Luck, it sure helped us out, and I told my vet about it, since he had tried everything too! Just make sure you get pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling and you should see an amazing recovery. Nancy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the help. Last week and before we took Bob to the vet, he started having the poop problems—first some mushy mixed in with firmer ones and then it went to all watery diarrhea and then we saw the worms. Before he went to the vet, we tried the pumpkin mixed in his food but maybe just for 2 days? Then we stopped. Do you think we should try that again now that he’s gotten medicine for the worms and an antibiotic for the infection on his leg and foot? It’s so strange how he’s having the same trouble—it was firm Wednesday and then went to mush Thursday and then watery diarrhea again on Friday and yesterday--today it looked like some clear water like he peed outside his box. I’m hoping it’s mostly the worm problem. he was at the vet last Monday so not sure how long that will take to see some improvement but it worries me that he’s hissing at us again. He looked so comfortable and relaxed the day after his vet appointment that it makes me think he’s not feeling good again. I was wondering if we should get him a probiotic as well?

Thanks for the help.

Diane

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned pumpkin works very well. Also a probiotic can help too. Are you giving him the antibiotic or did he get an injection. Antibiotics are famous for causing diarrhea. Watery clear diarrhea is not good. He really needs to stay well hydrated. Be sure he is getting enough fluids. I would only feed him small amounts of canned food or some plain boiled chicken. Bone broth (homemade) would be wonderful for him. You also can give him straight tuna water or some low or no salt chicken broth with some water to dilute.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The antibiotic was given by a shot last Monday at the vet for infection on his leg/paw. The only problem is he started having diarrhea last week Friday, I believe? And he had it up until he was at the vet too—I guess it was really bad while he was there. It’s weird this is starting up again the same way as before he went to the vet.

We’ll pick up some more pumpkin and a probiotic. I wonder if they tested the poop sample for any other problems. I should probably talk to the vet tomorrow. I’m not sure what the clear liquid was and if that was diarrhea? I just hope things will get better for him. I put some tuna juice out there for him now. He did eat some of his canned food this morning. I don’t know if I should try to mix the medicine in some baby food later? Sounds like lots of people have more trouble with diarrhea after giving this medicine. So hard to know what to do but maybe he won’t eat it no matter what food I try mixing it in for him.

I have some prepackaged bone broth that my sister recently gave me that she drinks. Would that be okay to give to him or homemade is better?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't give him the pre made bone broth as it may have onion or garlic and too much salt. If you make it yourself just use a whole or cut up chicken and water. No added salt or seasoning or vegetables. He can eat some of the warm cooked meat too.

I just made bone broth last week for my sick kitty.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband just picked up some chewable probiotics from the pet store and bob ate one of those. I was going to order some of the powdered kind online—fortiflora kind? He also picked up some baby food and pumpkin—I just wanted to see if he likes baby food that I could try mixing his medicine in there? I did give him some tuna juice before and it looks like he licked that all up. I’ll have to get some chicken and try boiling that for him tomorrow. Just hope things get better and the vet can give us more answers about him.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M
I have more info posted about Bob (the feral cat) in my other post too (need help socializing feral cat with indoor cats). I’m having trouble getting him to eat his food with the medicine (Metronidazole) for his diarrhea mixed in it. I tried two different flavors of canned food and even tuna and a pill pocket and he won’t fall for it. Overnight he only touched a couple bites. Is there anything else we can try or something that doesn’t have a taste to help with diarrhea? I hope this is coming from the roundworms but it seems like he’s going backwards. Yesterday when my husband was cleaning up some of the diarrhea in his kennel, he hissed at him. Today I was cleaning and he bounced around in the carrier and was hissing at me. He hasn’t done this since we first had him so I’m not sure what’s going on and if he just doesn’t feel good? I don’t know if we should bring him back to the vet but the last visit they charged almost $500 and I’m afraid they aren’t doing the right things for him? I want to help Bob and we planned to bring him in the house but now I’m afraid to do that when he’s hissing at us.

Any ideas would really help.

Thanks.

Diane
My feral hisses at me, she does have worms (we're worming tonight) but maybe yours just feels ok enough to express himself, I talked to her a lot and sit on the floor

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitty will be doing better soon and be worm free. We really need to spend more time with him so he gets use to us and once we have him moved in the house that will be easier to do.
take care.

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's been having both ok stools and some diahrrea but I keep her hydrated. She likes a org bone broth (teaspn or so) with water (it's got only bone broth-nothing else). I think I'll get that pumpkin just in case. I'm hoping I disguised the 2nd half of her drantel worm pill enough (she found some I had crushed and stopped eating it). When she has the diahrrea, it seems to be outsd the box on surrounding towel (light brown milky texture). It's better and probably some worms. I'll feel lots better when I can get her properly vetted. Good luck. Keep me posted on your progress with everything

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I
I hope your kitty will be doing better soon and be worm free. We really need to spend more time with him so he gets use to us and once we have him moved in the house that will be easier to do.
take care.
take care.
I got the drontal de worm pill in her last night and there was no mess outside LB this morn. I've gotta do some extra cleaning now that we're in better shape. I'm sick of doing laundry at the moment so this afternoon