Need Ideas to Help dose kittens with Metronidazole

PSILAR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'M WORKING WITH A RESCUE THAT HAS AN OUTBREAK OF DIARRHEA DUE TO COCCIDIA AND TRITRICHOMONAS. WE ARE ON DAY 5 OF 7 WITH ALBON & MANY CATS/KITTENS GREATLY IMPROVED. HAVING GREAT DIFFICULTY DOSING THOSE WITH CONTINUED LIQUID STOOL WITH COMPOUNDED METRONIDAZOLE I GUESS DUE TO THE VERY BITTER TASTE. THEY FOAM AT THE MOUTH & GAG & SPIT EVERYTHING OUT. ANY IDEAS? I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I just had to do two rounds of metro for giardia with 16 cats, 3 virtually unable to be handled and semi feral. It’s definitely not fun! And yes, the stuff must taste foul based on the unanimous reactions of total disgust! Poor things!

Am I understanding correctly that the metro has been compounded to a liquid? If so, you are unfortunately very limited with the liquid form. If there’s a way to get it in pill form, you’ll have a lot more options available.

There’s really just not much you can do if it’s liquid, nothing appears to hide the taste of metro for most cats. My only suggestion would be to squirt it in an empty gel cap (likely multiple per cat) and go from there using normal pilling techniques.

Normal pilling techniques would include coating the gelcap(s) in pill pockets/pill masker, hiding in food like cheese/hotdog/liverwurst, coating in butter and pill shooting/placing in the back of the mouth followed by a shot of water via syringe, etc.

Can I ask what the metro is for, though? As far as I’m aware, T. foetus is very resistant to metro, and Coccidia is treated with Albon, Trimethoprim / sulfa, or ponazuril.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet confirmed once that metro tastes awful and gave me the pill for for one of my cats. When you say compounded, is it in pill form or liquid? If it is in pill form I have had great luck with using gelatin capsules; however, liquid may dissolve the capsules if you try to fill them. Gelatin capsules are sold in sizes and 00 is the largest, oddly enough, going down from there. I have used size 4 with adult cats, but am not saying that would work for kittens.