Need help with IBD cat not eating even on meds

Janet2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Ragdoll mix has had IBD since he was 3 months old. He gets Budesonide, Ondansetron, Murtazipine, s. Boulardii, probiotics and digestive enzymes.(and dietary changes avoiding grains and poultry) He usually gets an appetite with this regimen but has not been eating well and is acting a bit lethargic.

My vet has been no help at all. Just wants to repeat a $4000 workup.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thank you

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if this will help but have you tried some hand feeding? Sometimes when my kitties are feeling a bit low, that extra encouragement gets them to eat a bit better.
You mention lethargy. Are litter box habits going well? Drinking well? No fever? Maybe some extra fluids are needed? If your vet is not making you feel secure, a second opinion may be helpful. I hope he perks back up quickly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest getting a second opinion from another vet, preferably an internal medicine vet. Bring copies of your cat's medical records for the vet to review.

Is your cat taking steroids such as prednisolone? If not, that is something to consider adding. A steroid would calm any gastrointestinal flare ups that may make a cat uncomfortable. Cerenia is helpful for nausea if your cat has that.

Two web sites with additional IBD info: