Need Help Understanding Newly Adopted Cat's Behaviour

Pajomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are at our wit's end trying to figure the behaviour of a female cat we recently adopted. Her name is Francine and she is a year and a half year old Persian. Her profile stated that she gets along with other cats, so we believed she'd be a playmate for our "resident cat", Muffy (also a year and a half). Muffy is a bit smaller and possibly a runt of her litter. We found Muffy abandoned in a park.

After separating the two of them a few days, we introduced them to each other. We gave them separate litters and food and water bowls in different parts of the house. Soon after we noticed that Muffy would hiss whenever Francine would get close to her (assuming Francine does so because is the curious type) where Francine wouldn't show any aggressive behaviour. We then would separate them. Overall, Muffy would avoid Francine and watch/stare her from a distance. Francine would also watch/stare at Muffy. HOWEVER, whenever Muffy would try to walk around Francince, to walk upstairs for example, she'd do so in a very tense and slow walk, while Francince watches her. As soon as Muffy's back is turned, she'd chase Muffy and they'd end up in a tussle. Francine somewhat lunges and swipes at Muffy, where Muffy screams bloody murder. It ends with Muffy hiding from Francine and us separating the two of them and one of us scolding Francine with a loud "NO".

We don't know what is the root cause of Francine's behaviour. If it's play aggression or territorial. If it's prompted by jealousy. Or if this will subside and improve after time together, or this will be a constant worry. We hate the idea of Muffy avoiding us or being too scared to sit near us whenever Francine is sitting with us.

We have a Feliway diffuser in an area where Francine hangs around most during the day. It's only been about a week, so I don't know if it's too soon to see any effect. We were also told to give her Zylkene by our vet. But I'm unsure if that is actually helpful in this situation. From what I read Zylkene is recommended for aggression caused by fear, which I don't believe is the case with Francine. We think maybe Muffy is being victimized and Francine is the bully. So if one of them is stressed or afraid, it's Muffy.

You should be able to see a link to a video that shows an example of what occurs between them. You can speed through to the end to see the actual tussle. If anyone can help by giving their thoughts on what is happening between the two of them and how to help, or if there are any other details needed from my end to help give a fuller picture, please reply. We're quite stressed.

Thank you!

- Patrick

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are moving way too fast! Look up Jackson Galaxy's introduction instructions. This should be done over a period of weeks -not days!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adults cats almost never just get along from the get go, and yes, it takes more than 2 days. With them both being under 2, the chances of eventual friendship are excellent, even if you just left them to work it out, providing your not having true fights where they tried to hurt each other. Regardless, I agree that you should probably back up and take it slower following the guide, doing a process of say one or two weeks depending on how it goes. Just based on general principles -- the video doesn't show much and I can't actually tell exactly what is going on from your description.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pajomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are moving way too fast! Look up Jackson Galaxy's introduction instructions. This should be done over a period of weeks -not days!
Oh darn! I'll definitely read up on him. I hope it's not too late..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pajomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adults cats almost never just get along from the get go, and yes, it takes more than 2 days. With them both being under 2, the chances of eventual friendship are excellent, even if you just left them to work it out, providing your not having true fights where they tried to hurt each other. Regardless, I agree that you should probably back up and take it slower following the guide, doing a process of say one or two weeks depending on how it goes. Just based on general principles -- the video doesn't show much and I can't actually tell exactly what is going on from your description.
Thanks for the reply! It's comforting to learn that there's a chance that their age can play a factor in their coexistence. So far there hasn't been any actual hitting, just swatting on Francine's end. But Muffy's definitely on the defensive.

I'll reintroduce them more slowly, having Francine separated in our office. The good thing is I'm in there working most of the day, so she won't be lonely. It's the evenings that are tough because she cries to come out. Muffy on the other hand is herself while Francine is kept separated from her.

The video is an example of what occurs between the two of them. Muffy (the grey and brown) becomes very timid and cautious when Francine (the orange and white) is around. Muffy walks slowly and carefully when leaving the general area where Francine is. In the video, once Muffy is on her way out of the room, Francine begins chasing Muffy into another room where she corners Muffy and lunges and swats at her. That's when Muffy yowls. Again, there's no actual contact...yet...?

I'll also mention that whenever Francine walks towards Muffy, or enters her personal space, and Muffy is watching her, Muffy will hiss and growl but not lunge or swat like Francine does. Today I placed Muffy's food outside of the closed office door (with Francine inside) and Francine's food by door inside of the office. When Muffy would get close she'd sense Francine inside and hiss at her.

It's really surprising to see such a change in Muffy's behaviour when she's around Francine. She gets along fine with my parents' dog. Even when we visit my in-law's, Muffy and their cat get along.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats all fine. Swatting is quite common and seems to mean something different from actually full out fighting. Something more like "I don't want you here, go away". Just a more assertive way of saying that than hissing and growling. Still better to back up and do it slow but it doesn't necessarily mean its going to be a hard process. It mostly all stems from discomfort/fear of the unknown cat, so if you get them used to each other slowly, often they start from a better place and it goes easier or somewhat easier when they get to face to face. The visual access step in the guides (ours above or Jackson Galaxies, whichever you end up using) is particularly useful. Scent swapping is sometimes important, if the cats are reacting very strongly to the mere scent of the other cat.

Good luck!