Need Help Socializing Feral Cat With Indoor Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't see any signs of diarrhea so far today. My husband put Bob's food in by him a bit later yesterday to make sure it wouldn't sit long. We'll see if any diarrhea shows up today. Hope everything will be okay. I guess the only thing i'll be able to leave out for him for food if we go away is dry food--i better not ever leave canned food out for him if it could sit too long. I feel so bad that i caused this.

It seems to help if i turn the light on that he doesn't hiss then but we'll see how he is when i go further in his room a little later. It seems to work for my husband.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't blame yourself. I might have been the combination of the hairball greenies and tuna or wet food. He might have a very sensitive gut. I would still not use tuna again and instead get some chicken. I like to boil mine and then portion into small ziplock bags and keep in the freezer. I take out a bag and write the date when I opened it. I am sure to use it all up within 3-4 days. Yet if he does not eat the chicken right away that might not work either. I just had a thought that you could try dehydrated chicken/turkey/tuna or salmon treats. There are brands by Bravo and Pure Bites. They are more expensive than regular treats, but most cats seems to like them. I find that the chicken type have no odor at all. Sometimes cats won't eat them right away as there is no scent. Yet the salmon and white fish varieties have a strong fish odor. He might really like those. Here is an Amazon link with lots of choices
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...t&sprefix=pure+bit,aps,129&crid=2RRP7ND7VSWD0

I would definitely turn the light on when you enter the room. It is sometimes just the most simple thing that helps them.

If Bob has normal stool today, you might go ahead and put the condo up. I would love to see pictures of both Bob and the new condo!

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the help. I’ll try ordering some of those treats and see how Bob likes them. I’ll also try boiling some chicken for him this week too. I’m hoping everything will be better today.

I went in just now and turned the light on and he didn’t hiss or growl. I still am so nervous, though. I’ll keep trying this and see if the light will always help. I’m afraid he’ll go back to hissing at me, though, but I’ll try.

I will definitely post a picture once everything is set up. My husband still needs to get the carpet on the condo but he sure made the condo completely different. I know at first he had made the frame of it too big and needed to modify it—I hope it will still be okay.

I’m not sure if I asked this before or I’m just forgetting but once the kennel is out and the condo is in there and he’s more in the open, that will help him to get more use to us? I want to get him more catnip filled toys. That’s the only toys so far that he really seems interested in—well overnight he plays with them.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The goal is for him to be more out in the open so that he can adjust better. When he is allowed to wedge himself into a corner and hide from you, he has no desire to come out. Hopefully with the kennel out, he will have more room and also a cozy place to hang out. My guess is that he will spend a lot of time in or on it. You might sprinkle some catnip on the carpet so that he will be drawn to it. Also don't be shocked if it takes awhile for him to use it. Some cats take a bit to acclimate to new things.
Just breathe.

Also if you have a Petco near you, I believe they sell Pure Bites in the stores. PetsMart might have them too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I often order cat food and treats from both Chewy.com and Petflow.com. I think both of them also sell the treats.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. Oh we were planning to go to petsmart tomorrow so maybe I’ll just wait and get some there.

I have catnip here that I’ll put some on the condo when we get it in there. I have the one cozy bed in by Bob but I’m not sure if he’s using it. One time I saw the toy in there and some litter pieces. That bed is kind of covered. I also have another thick bed that’s more open and I was planning to put that in there as soon as the kennel is out too. do you think I should sprinkle catnip on the bed too?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would sprinkle just a tiny bit in the bed and maybe a bit right in front of the bed. I can't hurt especially since he seems to like it.

Have you ever tried a laser pointer with him? Some of my cats like it and some do not, but it is easy to do from far away and it might grab his attention.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, that’s a good idea. I did have a laser pointer but I haven’t used it in a long time. I’ll see if I can find it or maybe I can pick up a new one tomorrow.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more diarrhea but he's back to hissing and growling at me even with the light on so my husband has to help me. Our plans got changed a bit so I'll be going to the pet store today to get some of the new treats for Bob. Hope he'll like them. I'm so glad the diarrhea stopped.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you going to be able to move the new condo in soon? I am glad there is no more diarrhea. Keep up with the forti flora for a few days.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got some of the pure bites treats yesterday and Bob seems to like them--at least the ones i left out for him our gone. Our other two cats like them too. How much do you think is good to give them? i don't see an exact amount listed on the package.

I'll keep giving him the forti flora.

My husband didn't finish the condo on Sunday. I thought it was just the carpeting he had left on Sunday but it wasn't--that's all it needs now so I'm hoping he will get this done this week--he's just been so tired from work that he hasn't had the energy to finish it. He told me he'll get it done this week for sure, though--I hope so--we have to do something to push Bob along. But i am nervous about how we are going to get the kennel out. I can't figure out why Bob always hisses and growls at me and what I'm doing wrong. I say to him no, that's naughty to hiss and growl at me and you're hurting my feelings too but maybe i shouldn't say that to him. I'm worried that he'll start doing that to my husband and then I don't know what we'll do. Should i sprinkle catnip more in his room? does that help? Maybe i should give him more of the composure treats every day since he has been eating them again? maybe i should plug in two diffusers?

oh i did find my laser pointer. Maybe we can try that with Bob to see if he has any reaction to it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad he likes the Pure Bites. I think you can order them for a bit cheaper price through Amazon or Chewy.com You might want to check if you decide to get more. You can give him 2-3 bite size pieces multiple times each day while you are working on socializing him. Yet if you notice any diarrhea, that might be a warning sign. My approach would be to offer him one or two each time you enter the room.

When you enter the room, I would ignore the hissing. I would tell him you are coming into the room to feed him and clean the litter box. Be sure that you are never looking at him and especially never directly in the eye. I really do not believe he will attack you. He is giving you a warning sign. Be sure to think if there is anything you are doing that might scare him. Think about loud walking, loud talking, direct eye contact, or getting too close to him.

When it comes time to removing the kennel, I would have your husband do it. If you are freaked out about it then that will transfer to Bob. Is there someone else that could come over to help. Most of the time, when something like that is done, the cat will just move to another location or freeze. Just be sure that he cannot escape the room. Do the removal quickly and then move the new condo in right away.

I would give the Composure treats on a daily basis. I would give him 2-3 each morning and another 2-3 at night. You are able to double and triple the dose during times of stress. By keeping a steady supply in him, it really helps. When I gave it to my feral and skipped a day, I noticed right away. So give him at least 2 each morning and 2 more at night. You can then up it to 3 each morning and 3 each night.

I doubt you need 2 diffusers since the room is small. Just be sure that it is not empty. He may just not be sensitive to it. Yet, from my experience it does work in subtle ways.

I hope that the kennel can be removed soon and the condo set up. Just remember that it too will take time. It might take him a few weeks to adjust to his new surroundings.

As for the laser pointer, I would have your husband try it out. I would wait for you to try it until you are feeling more secure around him.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for all the help. Looks like I’ll need to buy some more composure treats—there’s mostly tiny bits left in the bag now. I’ll try increasing that and see if it helps. I thought today I would try just walking in by him and not stop and talk to him by the screen door. I don’t know if that will matter, though—he just seems to get bent out of shape as soon as I take one step inside the screen door. I’ll try not to say anything when he hisses at me. So hard because it makes me jump when he does that. I think the growling is what really scares me, though. I just can’t figure it out—only sometimes lately I’ve looked at him in his eyes but I’m trying not to do that. The only thing I can think of is that I’m taller than my husband and I don’t know if that scares him? He was always fine with me when he was in the kennel and when he was first out of there. I can’t think of anything I’m doing different that’s scaring him or that feels like I’m threatening him. My husband can walk in and Bob just lays flat and doesn’t make any noise. I know for sure my husband doesn’t consider him a threat but I do so maybe Bob is sensing that. But I didn’t feel like that the first time he hissed and growled at me. So odd. I hope things will get better between us.

I can’t think of anyone right now that could help us with moving things around for Bob. I wonder how Bob would be if another person did help us? Do you think that would be safe?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely Bob will just be scared when you do the rearranging. I would just be careful that he doesn't try to bolt out the door in fear. The fear response is normal and he will need to readjust to the new surroundings.

I would believe that Bob is picking up on your fear. I would just keep telling him that he is safe and you will not hurt him. It very well could be that you are taller. It is something that you may never know.

When moving the kennel, you talked about putting him a sheet or something to block it from his sight. This is a good idea, but don't go through a lot of set up that would just prolong the event.

The only other idea I can think of is to get him into the cat carrier and then do all of the moving. He would be safe and you would be less afraid.

You can order the Composure treats on Amazon or EntirelyPets.com for reasonable prices. I would give them to him for quite awhile. I used the liquid version with my feral boy as he stopped liking the treats. I had to use it for about 6 months. On days I forgot, I could really tell a difference.

Try really really hard to just be as calm as possible with him. Did you try the laser yet? He might at least like to watch the red dot move!

Another thought is when things settle down a bit, you could take one of your other cats into the screened in part. It might be good for Bob to see you interact with another cat. Try to play with the cat and offer treats. Cats often like to observe and learn from other cats. Just do one cat at at time. I would choose the cat that is most easy going and likes to play. Also be sure to give treats so Bob can see that too.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We also have the child’s gate on the outer doorway but I would hate for him to get out of the screened area. Oh ya, if we could get him into the carrier, that would really help a lot. But I’m not sure the best way to handle this. He stays between the kennel and the file cabinet with his butt up against the wall. I think we would have to have the carrier straight ahead of him and somehow reach over the kennel to nudge him a bit? I’m not sure if this would work, though? I could try hanging a sheet up if I can get it to work. I was hoping of some way to do this with the least amount of stress. Not sure if that’s possible. Might have to try and work quickly but I don’t want bob to turn on my husband.

Maybe I should get the liquid composure as well. I could give him the treats earlier in the day and the liquid in his food? Or maybe just stick with the treats until he stops eating them before i buy the liquid? He is eating them but of course when nobody is around.

My husband didn’t try the laser with Bob last night—I could give it a try today and see what happens? I haven’t gone in the room by him yet—I just walked in the other part to talk to him. I’m trying to work up the nerve to go in there. Sure would be nice if they could talk and tell us what they are mad or afraid of.

When our other two cats will see a cat outside, they will just flip and start running around and meowing. I haven’t seen them do that when they go in by Bob’s room. That's why i was thinking maybe they don't know he's there but they must smell Bob. They’ve been up by the screen door and I think Bob can see them from behind the kennel. I should try that and have Bob see how my other cats like me and it’s safe to be around me.

chrissycollete

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The way we did it was move them to a bathroom. Of course we had a brother and sister cats. It takes time. They need to get used to you first. You have to force them to be held, petted, etc. They probably won't mind other cats.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not force Bob at all to be pet at this time. He is no where near ready for that. In time when his guard is down and you are more comfortable that may happen. One step at a time.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We finally got the cat condo in Bob's room. We put cardboard across the front of his cat tree and i thought to put a blanket over the cat tree and maybe Bob wood move in front of the file cabinet and go in the cat tree while my husband takes the kennel apart and that's what he did do. I have everything set up and my husband took the blanket off the cat tree and he is on the bottom shelf looking scared right now. I'm going to leave him alone for a little while and i'll put his canned food in there in another hour. I hope the condo will be okay for him--my husband had to modify it again that we'll have to see how Bob reacts to this. I did put some catnip on it too.

Hopefully he'll start feeling more comfortable with us. I hope we'll get to pet him sometime in the near future.

Thanks for all the posts. I'll let you know how it's going.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How exciting! It may take a bit of time. If you think about it, scatter a bit of catnip all over it. Just a small amount. You can also place a few treats on it. He will get used to it.

When you get ready to think of petting him, remember to start with the pet petter I posted a picture of. It's better to start with something that is longer so you are not right on top of him.

Post some pictures if you get a chance.