Need Help Socializing Feral Cat With Indoor Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bob mostly stayed on the bottom of the cat tree towards the back of it and next to the file cabinet most of yesterday. He was fine when I first when in there to change his stuff and feed him in the morning but later when I tried to go back in he was hissing and growling. Just can’t figure what I’m doing wrong. This was scarier because of where the cat tree is he was closer to me. My husband went in later then without a problem although Bob has that scary look on his face even when my husband is in there--but he didn't hiss or growl at him.

This morning I didn’t see him at first—the cat tree is right across from the doorway so he can see out into the hall and the other bedroom. Here he’s in the condo already so that’s good. I put some catnip on each shelf when we moved it in there but I wasn’t sure if I put enough or not—glad he’s on there now. I’ll try to go in by him a little later this morning and see what happens. Maybe because I hesitate before I go in he thinks I’m a threat? Maybe I should try to move faster. When we start feeling more comfortable, we will try the petting stick first.

I’ll try to get some pictures taken this week and get them posted.
Thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is that he is picking up on your fear. I gather your husband does not show fear. Is there anyway your husband can try sitting in the room with Bob and seeing if any progress can be made? He might have to be the one to take over. Then after some time, your husband can invite you into the room as well. I would not try moving faster as quick movements usually frighten shy/timid/feral cats.

Did you or your husband every try the laser pointer with Bob? I really think he needs some stimulation. Is he able to look outside at all?

If things are not progressing with him socializing with you, it might be time to try some introductions with your other cats. I would take this very slowly and make sure you have gates or screen doors in place. You have already done scent swapping and by this time, all the cats know the scent. I would then move on to brief site visits between the baby gates or screen doors. You want to be sure there are plenty of yummy rewards and the visits should be very very brief. You always want to try and end each session on a positive note not a negative one. So the first visit may only last 1 minute. Each time reward with something yummy. Here is a great article to read How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We both tried the laser pointer and my husband tried another cat toy on a wand but bob just stays flat. He plays with his toys that have catnip in them overnight because they are always moved around the next day. He just has a problem with us yet and won’t play when we are around. It was kind of cute that three of the toys were on the condo shelf with Bob. We've seen Bob on each shelf of the condo so he seems to like it so far. We have the cat tree right in front of the window and he can see out there for sure and I think he can see out the window on the top shelf of the condo too but he’s only looking out at night when we don’t go in the room by him. That room is darker during the day too because it faces north. Do you think it would be good to buy him an energy light? I was looking at them online but I don’t know how good or safe that would be for a cat?

He was off and on with eating earlier in the day once he was out of the kennel but he hasn’t eaten earlier at all now since the kennel is out. Probably because it’s more open—I don’t know if we should push the food closer to him or just let him eat mostly at night?

He was on the top shelf of the condo this morning but now he’s on the bottom of the cat tree laying down--sometimes with his butt hanging off the end and sometimes he’s lying in a partial circle. Maybe he was always active more at night and slept during the day before we caught him? He looks so cute and relaxed right now when I look at him from the doorway but I know he would hiss and growl if I go in by him. I can go in there once my husband is in there. So I think you’re right that he’s picking up my fear but what I can’t figure out is what started this. When he first growled and hissed at me I was so shocked and really didn’t feel scared of him then but after that I was. Should I go in with my husband sometimes like I’m doing now or is it better if I stay away from him? It’s just when I go in there alone he hisses and growls at me.

I wonder if I should try using tuna again? I still have to try making some chicken for him. Maybe tuna would be okay if I don’t leave it out long? He likes the treats but of course he won’t eat anything until night time so that’s limiting me on using the treats during the day—they just sit there and he won’t touch them.

I could have our two cats see him right now from the outside gate—they would be able to see him from the hallway. Maybe I should let them do that first and see how they act? I thought to try that before I let them go in the gate and by the screen door to get an idea on how they’ll respond? i'm wondering if there has been enough scent swapping--maybe i should try and do more of that before they get close to the screen door.

I remember watching one of the cat from hell shows and a lady had bought an aquarium that must’ve been made for cats and it had lights and fake fish in it but I can’t find something like that anywhere. I remember that cat needed some activity but he had a heart condition that they had to keep it low keyed. I thought something like that would be good for Bob to have while he’s in the bedroom. I was just wondering if anyone ever saw something like this?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a search on Amazon on artifical aquarium. I saw a few. I remember that episode of " My Cat from Hell". He might really like it as well as giving some light in the room at night. I wouldn't worry too much about light in his room at night. He used to the dark and probably prefers it. I used to leave a small light on for one of my ferals. I bought a 7 watt small bulb that fit into a regular lamp. I would leave it on all night. Most likely he was more active at night and used to only eating then as well. You might just leave dry food out for him 24/7 and only feed him wet food at night if that is the only time he is eating it.

I think at this point, I would just let the cats see each other. Your resident cats can smell Bob from under the door as well as on you. Even though you don't touch him, you are in the room where he is located. I would just let them each take a peak. If there is any hissing or growling then you can do the scent swapping again. Just be sure to reward all kitties. You want your cats to associate Bob with something good ( treats!). You can toss a few to Bob too.

You can go in the room with your husband, but if Bob starts to hiss/growl with you there, then I think you should leave. Just allow him to work things out with your husband first and then after some time away, you can try again.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks—I’ll see if I can find that on amazon. Maybe that could be nice for Bob to have.

Would a light be helpful during the day in his room? It does seem like he’s more of a night cat and is resting during the day but it just seems so dark in that room that maybe some extra light in there would help his mood?

My husband is going to make a perch to attach to the window so he can lay on that to look out the window too. he stands on the cat tree at night but he really can’t lay down on there and still see out the window. We thought maybe a perch would be nice too.

One of our other cats walked by and was looking through the gate. She was there for maybe a minute and then walked away. I’m hoping she’ll stay there longer—I’m waiting for my other cat to look in there too. I was going to try and brush them while they are there or play with a toy with them so Bob can see that.

I’ll see how things continue to go with both of us going in by Bob. If he starts to growl or hiss with me in the room with my husband, I’ll have to stay out then. Just hope things will get better. I'll do that as well and just leave the dry food out all the time but we'll give him canned food at night.