Need Help On Toilet Training From Anyone Using Litter Kwitter

jhwedmd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

We are new to cats and got a new kitten who is now about 8 months old. We are trying to train her to use the toilet using the Litter Kwitter system, so I am looking from help specifically from folks that have used it. That being said, any advice is welcome.

So, we started with the LK system and our cat did great with the red stage. No problems hopping up and using it. When we moved to the Amber stage (the first stage with hole in it), our cat immediately said 'no thanks' and starting pooping on the floor. We investigated and tried the cardboard method with the amber stage (effectively making the hole in this stage very small). Since that time, the cat has no problem pooping in the pan on the toilet but can't seem to hit it when she urinates. We have cleaned multiple stools out of the pan but she keeps missing when she pees, ending up with urine on the back of the commode, between the seat and tank and down the sides of the commode.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can they offer any advice. I tried to post on the LK forums but have registered with them days ago and still have not been approved to post.

Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best of luck. I do know that some cats never adjust to using the toilet. Frankly, I'd rather go to an automated system, such as CatGenie or ScoopFree, but only because I have no desire to have to check to see if I have to flush after my cat 15 times a day! That might be a thought for you if the issues continue.

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Toilet training is usually not suggested just in case your cat ever has territory issues. For cats, litterboxes aren't just their toilet, it's also how they mark their territory and feel like they own the place. Just a thought in case you run into that issue in the future! Otherwise, good luck!