Need help now please...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad it's something treatable. :cross: that you can get him to heat. Adding a little warm water to canned food to make it more aromatic could help.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Many vibes for Yang.

Warm up his canned food to make it smellier, that will help him feel like eating. Offer it to him by hand. Feed only small portions. Cats with inappetence, whatever the cause, seem to get overwhelmed with large servings.

So give him small (about a teaspoon at a time) warmed up servings offered often. He may take comfort in being hand fed. My cats do, when they are sick.

Get a probiotic to guard against diarrhea, amoxicillan can be rough on their systems.

Keep us posted!

:vibes::vibes::vibes: Yang

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very, very relieved to hear your sweet Yang will be alright :touch:. Thank goodness is it something easily treatable :nod:. I also would suggest a Probiotic for your kitty while on the antibiotic. You can even use the people form from the vitamin store. Just open a capsule and poor 1/2 capsule onto the wet food. Warming the wet food is a great idea and you could get a syringe and only feed very small portions at a time. Loads of vibes Yang is better in a day or so :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew! They like to scare us, don't they? Glad to hear it's treatable, although he's still not out of the woods until he's eating on his own. I recommend getting a large plastic eyedropper (easier to control than a feeding syringe, IMO. You can usually find them in the baby medication section of Wal-Mart or any drug store) and some kitten Fancy Feast (it's my favorite for force feeding because it's smooth and is higher in fat and calories. Of course, A/D is made for this, so that will work too). I find that a dropperful (5 cc) every now and then is easier than a large meal all at once. Same for water. . .and get some Pedialyte mix. That will help him stay hydrated much better than plain water.

If he really fights the force feeding, don't be afraid to annoy your vet to give him sub-q fluids or teach you how to tube-feed him. He absolutely needs to start eating or his liver will shut down.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm SO glad to hear it's something treatable!!

Hopefully you've gotten him to eat.  Strange suggestion; but my cat Noodles loves the baby food chicken.  My daughter wouldn't eat it (not that I blame her!).  I'd warmed it up to make it more tasty and it smelled like cat food.  So I gave the rest to Noodles and she ate it up!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah! Chicken or turkey baby food is great. I prefer to get the turkey because it's slightly higher in protein (and I think cats prefer the darker meat), but either one will do. Look at the label to make sure it doesn't have onion powder (toxic to cats). I've never seen a brand with it, but just to be careful.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you found out what was wrong with Yang and that it's treatable. Probably with the meds he will be feeling better but if he has a problem eating you may want to try kitten formula (you can probably buy it at the market) and beef bullion. We've nursed many cats back using both. The kitten formula gives them nutrients and the bullion gives them sodium. We use a syringe but an eyedropper would work too. He probably needs plenty of water too, even if it's from an eye dropper or syringe. After a day or two they usually start eating on their own. 

Many 
going out for Yang. And BTW, welcome back!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I am just now seeing what you have been going though with Yang. :hugs:

Start eating sweet Yang :vibes::vibes::vibes::heart3:

scaredyandgaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish you and your cat lots of luck and good health. It was nice to see so many people concerned and helping you. You will have to let us know how you made out.