Need Help. Cat May Have Opened His Incision

Victoria6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I recently came home to discover that my male cat had a red spot on the area where his incision is. There is no sign of bleeding, nor any sign of discomfort coming from my cat. The vet who neutered him used dissolving stitches and surgical glue to close it up, and no pain medications or antibiotics were given for post-care-- this was 10 days ago. Being a first time cat owner, I am not sure if this is a major problem that requires immediate attention, or something that heals on its own naturally? Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Victoria6, welcome to TCS :wave3:

It's pretty hard to tell from your photo. A small slit is made when a male is neutered. In most cases, stitches are not needed as the slit is very small.

When was it when your cat was neutered? Is the slit opened? Are there pus and smell?

Since you said your cat looks fine and no discomfort sand there's no heavy bleeding but you mean it's actually bleeding?

Looks like he he over licked the surgery site? Maybe you should show the photo to your vet if bringing him in is inconvenient.

Under normal conditions, the incision should heal and close by around two weeks.

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10 day is right around the healing mark so im not sure if it would be opened but the area is pretty red. Is there a way you could email a picture to your vet (mine gave me the option to do that if I was worried about my cats spay incision) to verify if its infection or not? Usually swelling, heat and angry redness are signs of that. Is it looking more red and/or swollen since he first got it done?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Victoria6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, he was neutered exactly 10 days ago. There is no bleeding, no smell, and no pus. I'm guessing this happened the hour I was gone because it was fine this morning.

Victoria6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
10 day is right around the healing mark so im not sure if it would be opened but the area is pretty red. Is there a way you could email a picture to your vet (mine gave me the option to do that if I was worried about my cats spay incision) to verify if its infection or not? Usually swelling, heat and angry redness are signs of that. Is it looking more red and/or swollen since he first got it done?
Sadly, there isn't any way to contact the vet besides a phone number and tomorrow they're closed. We were only told that if anything happened to the incision the first couple of days, to bring him back. He didn't bother the incision at all. It's a bit confusing because there is no swelling or anything that would raise major concern. It just seems-and I'm going to very loosely compare, like a recently scratched off scab. Whatever hair/skin was covering that area is now not there.

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be just over grooming it, but keep an eye and take note of any worsening changes.

Victoria6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Victoria6, welcome to TCS :wave3:

It's pretty hard to tell from your photo. A small slit is made when a male is neutered. In most cases, stitches are not needed as the slit is very small.

When was it when your cat was neutered? Is the slit opened? Are there pus and smell?

Since you said your cat looks fine and no discomfort sand there's no heavy bleeding but you mean it's actually bleeding?

Looks like he he over licked the surgery site? Maybe you should show the photo to your vet if bringing him in is inconvenient.

Under normal conditions, the incision should heal and close by around two weeks.
He was neutered exactly 10 days ago. I'm guessing that this happened very recently while I was out because it was fine this morning. There is no bleeding, no pus, and no smell. As i mentioned in another reply, it just seems like whatever patch of hair/skin was covering it, is now not there.

Victoria6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could be just over grooming it, but keep an eye and take note of any worsening changes.
I have noticed that he licks around the area after using the litter box, never directly on it. I do have a puppy who has an odd obsession with him. She or his sister could be the culprit of over grooming (both really like to groom him) if that is the case. I will be keeping a close eye until I can take him in on Tuesday.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He was neutered exactly 10 days ago. I'm guessing that this happened very recently while I was out because it was fine this morning. There is no bleeding, no pus, and no smell. As i mentioned in another reply, it just seems like whatever patch of hair/skin was covering it, is now not there.
Yes, just keep an eye on him and wipe any litter or litter dust off the incision with a warm damp towel after he uses the litter box.

Incision site is shaved off before surgery. Fur will grow back in a little while.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to cover so it's not open exposed to everything making a small t shirt large light sock anything that can possibly prevent him from licking less irritation, a light sanitary pad taped over to cover it then t shirt over...Good Luck @ the vets

Victoria6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try to cover so it's not open exposed to everything making a small t shirt large light sock anything that can possibly prevent him from licking less irritation, a light sanitary pad taped over to cover it then t shirt over...Good Luck @ the vets
Good idea! I have a baby onesie that I can cut a hole he can use to do his "business" and place a small sanitary pad to cover the area.