Need Help. Adopting A Newly Declawed Kitten

NoxtheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So firstly about me: I'm new here. I have one cat, Nox, who is about 4 years old. When I adopted him from the shelter almost 3 years ago he was neutered and front declawed. He's an awesome cat and I love him.

So this story. My friend works at a vet here in town. I guess last week (Friday I think) a guy brought in a kitten (around 6 mons) to be spayed and declawed. The cat was ready to go home Saturday and the people did not pick up at the specified time. The vet called the owner who told them some sob story about how they could no longer care for the cat blah blah blah basically refused to come get it.

My friend is a vet tech at the clinic and I guess they typically would have turned the kitten over to the shelter, but my friend knew I had 1)been thinking about a kitten and 2)had a declawed cat already. She says that she is sweet and otherwise healthy. After thinking about it all day Sunday I felt like I was called to take this kitten and told my friend yes.

I'm pretty familiar on cat intros etc (I've had a lot of cats in my life), but I have never cared for a newly declawed cat.

I know this site is anti-declaw (as am I), but can you help a girl out. How do I care for this kitten until she heals? Things I should ask the vet tomorrow when I pick her up?

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too adopted my Zoey already declawed from a shelter. Bless you for giving homes to these kittens.

I believe when I was a kid and my family declawed a cat we used paper instead of litter. I'm not sure if this is still recommended.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So firstly about me: I'm new here. I have one cat, Nox, who is about 4 years old. When I adopted him from the shelter almost 3 years ago he was neutered and front declawed. He's an awesome cat and I love him.

So this story. My friend works at a vet here in town. I guess last week (Friday I think) a guy brought in a kitten (around 6 mons) to be spayed and declawed. The cat was ready to go home Saturday and the people did not pick up at the specified time. The vet called the owner who told them some sob story about how they could no longer care for the cat blah blah blah basically refused to come get it.

My friend is a vet tech at the clinic and I guess they typically would have turned the kitten over to the shelter, but my friend knew I had 1)been thinking about a kitten and 2)had a declawed cat already. She says that she is sweet and otherwise healthy. After thinking about it all day Sunday I felt like I was called to take this kitten and told my friend yes.

I'm pretty familiar on cat intros etc (I've had a lot of cats in my life), but I have never cared for a newly declawed cat.

I know this site is anti-declaw (as am I), but can you help a girl out. How do I care for this kitten until she heals? Things I should ask the vet tomorrow when I pick her up?
Welcome NoxtheCat NoxtheCat to TCS! Thank you for being against declawing, which is illegal in compassionate societies because it is mutilation. Thank you for wanting to help this kitten! If this is the vet who declawed your kitten, then I certainly wouldn't keep this vet, but if they are the one who did the surgery, they would be the one to ask about post-op care. Just ask for all the information they can give, as a professional, about the care your kitten needs and what to watch out for as far as anything that needs a check by the vet. Of course infection is the biggest concern, so you need to know what the vet has done to avoid this and anything you will need to do when your kitten is out of his bandages to maintain the cleanliness and health of the paws. Experts suggest not to use clumping litter, which can get into the sites and cause problems; many use "Yesterday's News" litter which is derived from paper. Ask the vet which litter they recommend. Also, you'll need to be sure the kitten's environment is clean and safe - ask if there are any special things you need to know about this. For cleaning, make sure you use cat-safe cleaners. I use Nature's Miracle Just For Cats for any "accidents" as it is an enzymatic cleaner that breaks down the molecules and truly cleans the spot. It is also safe for cats. But there are other safe cleaners -- you can find some discussed right here on the site, and buy them from any "pet" supply venue including online.
Please keep us informed, and BEST of luck with your kitten. Again, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NoxtheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome NoxtheCat NoxtheCat to TCS! Thank you for being against declawing, which is illegal in compassionate societies because it is mutilation. Thank you for wanting to help this kitten! If this is the vet who declawed your kitten, then I certainly wouldn't keep this vet, but if they are the one who did the surgery, they would be the one to ask about post-op care. Just ask for all the information they can give, as a professional, about the care your kitten needs and what to watch out for as far as anything that needs a check by the vet. Of course infection is the biggest concern, so you need to know what the vet has done to avoid this and anything you will need to do when your kitten is out of his bandages to maintain the cleanliness and health of the paws. Experts suggest not to use clumping litter, which can get into the sites and cause problems; many use "Yesterday's News" litter which is derived from paper. Ask the vet which litter they recommend. Also, you'll need to be sure the kitten's environment is clean and safe - ask if there are any special things you need to know about this. For cleaning, make sure you use cat-safe cleaners. I use Nature's Miracle Just For Cats for any "accidents" as it is an enzymatic cleaner that breaks down the molecules and truly cleans the spot. It is also safe for cats. But there are other safe cleaners -- you can find some discussed right here on the site, and buy them from any "pet" supply venue including online.
Please keep us informed, and BEST of luck with your kitten. Again, thank you!
Unfortunately there are only two vets in my town, and they both declaw. However, this is the same vet that my Nox goes to and I have been very happy with her.

My biggest concern is obviously infection. Nox's paws healed well and he seems to be fine and so I want that for this kitten as well.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately there are only two vets in my town, and they both declaw. However, this is the same vet that my Nox goes to and I have been very happy with her.

My biggest concern is obviously infection. Nox's paws healed well and he seems to be fine and so I want that for this kitten as well.
ABSOLUTELY.