Need Help About Elderly Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taraw21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 18 year old cat who was slowly decliningfor what we though was a tooth that had been coming out of his mouth. So we got it pulled and he declined rapidly. The doctor said he has lymphoma and a mass in his abdomen which we had known before three years ago when he was on his death bed before . He shows interest in eating but then doesn't really want it so we've been syringe feeding him as he was very weak. He's made a small turn around and is now up and moving around but how long do I syringe feed him for? the vet seems to think he doesn't have long ? I don't want to starve him either if he's been doing better by us doing so. I also know we're probably prolonging this. But he's def not suffering. Any help
Is appreciated please!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is such a hard place to be. For me, it's always about quality of life. It sounds crazy, but have a little talk with your kitty. He will let you know if it's time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Taraw21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's getting up and using the bathroom fine laying in the sun, walking around so not sure what to do!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, don't let him starve, by all means. That's a slow, horrible death. Keep up the syringe feedings until he either eats on his own or he tells you it's time for the Hard Choice, and he goes to the vet (better if the vet will come to you, some will). But do bear in mind that cats are very good at hiding pain. My heart goes out to you as you try to gently usher your beloved cat from this world into what awaits beyond.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet but from what you have written he doesn't appear to be suffering, apart from the discomfort of syringe feeding. I suggest that you leave him enjoying lying in the sun and coping with his toileting until he begins to fail to do these things, then you may realise when his time is up. It may be much longer than you think.

You should certainly continue his syringe feeding as long as he seems to be enjoying life - and when he appears to no longer enjoy life, have a talk with your vet.
With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

Last edited:

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat, Cortez, had a large tumor on his shoulder area. We had it removed twice and my vet said it would always come back because there is almost no way you can get every cancer cell. He let us know it was time when he stopped eating and using the litter box and started hiding. It was a very hard decision but I think we made the right call. He had a great life and, although he didn't show it, I am sure he wasn't happy anymore. I hope everything goes well with your baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Taraw21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat, Cortez, had a large tumor on his shoulder area. We had it removed twice and my vet said it would always come back because there is almost no way you can get every cancer cell. He let us know it was time when he stopped eating and using the litter box and started hiding. It was a very hard decision but I think we made the right call. He had a great life and, although he didn't show it, I am sure he wasn't happy anymore. I hope everything goes well with your baby.
He passed away yesterday. We had to put him down due to fluid in abdomen

Status
Not open for further replies.