Need guidance on cat introductions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_20220123_213409555_HDR~2.jpg
charly loves to bury his head in me sometimes and get head scritches. His preferred (and only tolerated) mode of cuddles. only happens when he feels like it (sometimes once a day sometimes less) With yoda next to us (who would gladly cuddle 24/7.
IMG_20220122_161637990.jpg
IMG_20220120_213914157_HDR.jpg
Charly left and Yoda right in these two.
Screenshot_20220125-001634-417.png
charly in the back, it's like catception.

Screenshot_20220125-002000-639.png
charly in front. Don't remember what they were watching. Maybe breaking bad 🤣

IMG-20220122-WA0006.jpg

What can I say. My heating cost has gone down significantly with these two radiators 😂

Last night Charly was next to me and Yoda laid down half on top of his bum. He accepted it although he did look at him like uhmmm dude.. but he was tired so he kept sleeping.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually typed a post a couple days ago but then I forgot. So they are doing pretty well. The camera shows they usually basically just sleep when I'm away.

They eat together, play with each other and are usually together. They've taken to getting up on top of the wardrobe for naps (one of Charly's favourite spots but he lets Yoda come along) or on the bed together when I'm out. Sometimes under the table on adjoining chairs.

They're basically either both up exploring or playing, or both sleeping near each other Charly hardly ever vocalized anymore when they're playing rough and he's becoming more pouncy as well. He's learning how to cat wrestle from Yoda I guess. He seems fine with it though as their playing has turned into mainly silent wrestling and there are almost no swats or anything anymore. Just a little sometimes but he does think he's king of the universe and will do that to us too if we dare to want to get the remote while he's sitting on it so... Nothing out of the ordinary.

I've noticed a few tiny scratches on them behind the ears (minuscule really) and a couple spots with less fur on the nose, so I'm trying to manage that by clipping even more regularly now. There have been two intense wrestling matches with fur flying which I hadn't seen before but they went to sleep together a few minutes after. Apparently they like it rough.. I just want to prevent accidental injury, Im sure neither of them wants to inflict injury because they are back to being bros after, but it could always happen accidentally so I'd rather prevent possibile injury. Not sure if I should intervene more but I wouldn't want scolding to create any negative associations and they both seem to love it, so as soon as I turn my back they go back at it usually.

They are out together full time, the longest they were alone was probably around 8 hours in the day and once 10 or 11 but most of it was during night time (Im finally back to socializing sometimes (as much as is possible with COVID anyways) after months of kitty care as a full time occupation besides my normal job.)

theyve adjusted to my schedule very well and sleep with me every night. They don't wake me up anymore, Yoda is getting a bit more of a PITA in that he seems like a frickin kitten chewing on things, trying to get into cupboards, so I'm breaking out my kitten proofing stuff from when Charly was a baby. No biggie though. Overall seems to be adjusting decently to being indoors. Endless energy (like a kitten I swear! Charly was like that for a good 6-8 months) so as much play as possible (2-3 times per day high energy interactive play for 10,15 mins). He has learned a bedtime routine similar to Charly's and part of it overlaps (licking a coat & skin health treat from a tube) and they are cute. Maybe I could try and get a video sometime. They both love it like crazy but respectfully take turns. It's adorable. Charly has known the routine for ages and it helps that after that, he goes to lie down on my legs as soon as lights are off. Yoda has been following his lead and had now also started associating the routine with bedtime for the human, let's cuddle up. So sometimes he'll lie down before Charly now :) and then Charly still goes to lie close to him.

it's still probably 80/20 on who follows who, who shows interest in who (can you guess? I bet you can) and who lies next to who. Charly is accepting yoda's advances more and more though. He is unbothered when he lies down next to or touching him, he doesn't hiss or swat when they walk past each other brushing up against each other ,(due to space, not for touching purposes), or when Yoda comes up close to him to sniff around. He seems to love sniffing Charly everywhere, which he mostly tolerates. Also lots of nose touching. He even lets Yoda sniff him while going to the litter box.. and he is fine with Yoda using his box. Yoda uses both but Charly's more than the other one. Charly hasn't used his as far as I'm aware. I took away the third box after weeks of it being untouched.

they're off the zylkene now for the most part, although feliway remains and probably will. Charly being an anxious skittish cat I've had the classic basically since he was maybe six months old.

Individual play has become increasingly hard, if I put Yoda in the bedroom so Charly can play (he doesn't really get into it with Yoda around, I guess he still feels on guard a bit sometimes), he will sit in front of the door until I let his brother come out again. Yoda doesn't care if Charly is around, he'll go nuts for his feather toy either way, where Charly wouldn't get into it (he likes chasing his stuffed animals attached to a fishing pole and proper biting and bunny kicking the heck out of them usually). So I've been working on a way to have them play in different areas (one on floor and one on bed) with wand toys, which requires coordination but it's working. Charly is slowly becoming more comfortable and plays with Yoda around, although he seems quite vigilant (not unusual even pre Yoda when playing, but more so now) and sometimes they play for very short times together on the bed with their individual toys. Charly gets a couple bunny kicks in then he goes back to being a bit wary but we're getting there. I'm being careful though because Charly is prone to lashing out when hyped up playing (not sure if that counts as play aggression or redirected, but it's happened to me a few times before I learned the signs and it was painful and probably the most blood he's drawn was during hyper play mode and me getting my stupid hands or feet or his reach). Although I guess cats have thicker skin and a couple times its happened to Yoda that he was caught in the middle of that. He's always utterly unfazed by it as with all of Charly's swats, hits, etc.

It's so precious when they both come to cuddle. They are so different but I love both of their characters (my boyfriend has dubbed Charly grumpy old dude which I have to agree fits well but I love him for it and just go with what he feels comfortable with and giving him his space when he's like that).

Charly has returned fully to his previous routines (jumping on sink to be brushed when I come out of the shower, jumping up when I sit down in the evening for some cuddles and head butts, coming ti lie down on my chest if he wakes up mid nap).he hadn't really been doing it much during the early stages of Yoda being out but has now slowly returned to his usual routines.

Thank you so much for all the help in getting us to this place.

Some recent pics coming up.
"I actually typed a post a couple days ago but then I forgot." - :)

" So they are doing pretty well." - Great

" The camera shows they usually basically just sleep when I'm away." - Awwwwwww, that is fairly common.

"They eat together, play with each other and are usually together. They've taken to getting up on top of the wardrobe for naps (one of Charly's favourite spots but he lets Yoda come along) or on the bed together when I'm out. Sometimes under the table on adjoining chairs." - Awwwww, SO SWEET!!!! :)

"They're basically either both up exploring or playing, or both sleeping near each other Charly hardly ever vocalized anymore when they're playing rough and he's becoming more pouncy as well. " - Awwwww, terrific!!!

"He's learning how to cat wrestle from Yoda I guess. " - Yes!!!!

"He seems fine with it though as their playing has turned into mainly silent wrestling and there are almost no swats or anything anymore." - Terrific

" Just a little sometimes but he does think he's king of the universe and will do that to us too if we dare to want to get the remote while he's sitting on it so... Nothing out of the ordinary." - Awwwwwwwww

"I've noticed a few tiny scratches on them behind the ears (minuscule really) and a couple spots with less fur on the nose, so I'm trying to manage that by clipping even more regularly now." - Yes, that can happen. Sometimes they do it to themselves. :/

" There have been two intense wrestling matches with fur flying which I hadn't seen before but they went to sleep together a few minutes after. Apparently they like it rough.." - Yep :/

" I just want to prevent accidental injury," - Yes, agreed

" Im sure neither of them wants to inflict injury because they are back to being bros after," - Totally agree.

" but it could always happen accidentally so I'd rather prevent possibile injury." - Yes. good

" Not sure if I should intervene more but I wouldn't want scolding to create any negative associations and they both seem to love it, so as soon as I turn my back they go back at it usually." - Yeah, I don't think you need to at this point as long as they act fine after. THat is them, they are brothers playing rough as boys do. :/

"They are out together full time, the longest they were alone was probably around 8 hours in the day and once 10 or 11 but most of it was during night time (Im finally back to socializing sometimes (as much as is possible with COVID anyways) after months of kitty care as a full time occupation besides my normal job.)" - Terrific on both fronts!!!

"theyve adjusted to my schedule very well and sleep with me every night. They don't wake me up anymore," - GREAT!!!

" Yoda is getting a bit more of a PITA in that he seems like a frickin kitten chewing on things," - Chewing is not good.

" trying to get into cupboards," - Well, one of mine does that as well :/ She just likes human food.

" so I'm breaking out my kitten proofing stuff from when Charly was a baby. No biggie though." - Good and agree.

" Overall seems to be adjusting decently to being indoors." - Great

" Endless energy (like a kitten I swear! Charly was like that for a good 6-8 months) so as much play as possible (2-3 times per day high energy interactive play for 10,15 mins)." - Yep :/

" He has learned a bedtime routine similar to Charly's and part of it overlaps (licking a coat & skin health treat from a tube) and they are cute. " - Great

"Maybe I could try and get a video sometime." - YES!!! :)

" They both love it like crazy but respectfully take turns. It's adorable." - Awwwww, that tells us a lot about them. They love and respect and trust each other.

" Charly has known the routine for ages and it helps that after that, he goes to lie down on my legs as soon as lights are off. Yoda has been following his lead and had now also started associating the routine with bedtime for the human, let's cuddle up. So sometimes he'll lie down before Charly now :) and then Charly still goes to lie close to him." - Awwwww, WONDERFUL!!!

"it's still probably 80/20 on who follows who, who shows interest in who (can you guess? I bet you can) " - Yep, Yoda is the 80 BUT that means Charly is 20!!! :)

"and who lies next to who. Charly is accepting yoda's advances more and more though. " - Awwwwwwwww

"He is unbothered when he lies down next to or touching him, he doesn't hiss or swat when they walk past each other brushing up against each other ,(due to space, not for touching purposes), or when Yoda comes up close to him to sniff around." - GREAT!!!!

" He seems to love sniffing Charly everywhere, which he mostly tolerates. Also lots of nose touching. He even lets Yoda sniff him while going to the litter box.. and he is fine with Yoda using his box. Yoda uses both but Charly's more than the other one. Charly hasn't used his as far as I'm aware. I took away the third box after weeks of it being untouched." - Awwwww, yep, Charly has accepted him!!! :)

"they're off the zylkene now for the most part, although feliway remains and probably will. Charly being an anxious skittish cat I've had the classic basically since he was maybe six months old." - Great

"Individual play has become increasingly hard, if I put Yoda in the bedroom so Charly can play (he doesn't really get into it with Yoda around, I guess he still feels on guard a bit sometimes)," - Yes, could be.

" he will sit in front of the door until I let his brother come out again." - Awwwwwwwww

" Yoda doesn't care if Charly is around, he'll go nuts for his feather toy either way, where Charly wouldn't get into it (he likes chasing his stuffed animals attached to a fishing pole and proper biting and bunny kicking the heck out of them usually). " - Not surprising

"So I've been working on a way to have them play in different areas (one on floor and one on bed) with wand toys, which requires coordination but it's working. " - Wow, great. That is not easy.

"Charly is slowly becoming more comfortable and plays with Yoda around, although he seems quite vigilant (not unusual even pre Yoda when playing, but more so now) and sometimes they play for very short times together on the bed with their individual toys." - Great

" Charly gets a couple bunny kicks in then he goes back to being a bit wary but we're getting there." - Great

" I'm being careful though because Charly is prone to lashing out when hyped up playing (not sure if that counts as play aggression or redirected, but it's happened to me a few times before I learned the signs and it was painful and probably the most blood he's drawn was during hyper play mode and me getting my stupid hands or feet or his reach)." - Yes, that is more common than people realize. I think it is excess energy play driven.

"Although I guess cats have thicker skin and a couple times its happened to Yoda that he was caught in the middle of that. He's always utterly unfazed by it as with all of Charly's swats, hits, etc." - Yes and they know when it is not aggressive or threatening.

"It's so precious when they both come to cuddle. They are so different but I love both of their characters (my boyfriend has dubbed Charly grumpy old dude which I have to agree fits well but I love him for it and just go with what he feels comfortable with and giving him his space when he's like that)." - Awwww, I know exactly how it is. Exactly, you just go with it. And when several cuddle, WONDERFUL!!!

"Charly has returned fully to his previous routines (jumping on sink to be brushed when I come out of the shower, jumping up when I sit down in the evening for some cuddles and head butts, coming ti lie down on my chest if he wakes up mid nap).he hadn't really been doing it much during the early stages of Yoda being out but has now slowly returned to his usual routines." - GREAT, another sign of acceptance (if we neded anymore).

"Thank you so much for all the help in getting us to this place." - Oh my, THANK YOU!!!! You did it all!!

"Some recent pics coming up. " - GREAT!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 408711charly loves to bury his head in me sometimes and get head scritches. His preferred (and only tolerated) mode of cuddles. only happens when he feels like it (sometimes once a day sometimes less) With yoda next to us (who would gladly cuddle 24/7.
View attachment 408712View attachment 408713Charly left and Yoda right in these two.
View attachment 408714charly in the back, it's like catception.

View attachment 408715charly in front. Don't remember what they were watching. Maybe breaking bad 🤣

View attachment 408716
What can I say. My heating cost has gone down significantly with these two radiators 😂

Last night Charly was next to me and Yoda laid down half on top of his bum. He accepted it although he did look at him like uhmmm dude.. but he was tired so he kept sleeping.
Hahahaha, the pics TOPPED my expectations of ADORABLENESS!!! Those are off the charts!!!!

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the last couple days, as Charly gets increasingly more confident and as a result wilder during play, I've heard Yoda growl for the first time in my life a few times. It happens when Charly is the chaser and their catch-wrestle-hide and seek combo game and Yoda is backed into a corner. It doesn't escalate though. The vet looked at the tiny scan Yoda has on his neck and she said it's perfectly fine and absolutely within the norm of two young rough boys.

This afternoon, Yoda (on the left) went to lie suuuper close to Charly who was already there. He looked at him like "duuuude" for a second then just accepted it. He turned around maybe an hour later, choosing to stay so close. It doesn't happen all the time, but I've also caught them on camera sleeping close together.

IMG_20220203_160855937_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220203_160036482.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the last couple days, as Charly gets increasingly more confident and as a result wilder during play, I've heard Yoda growl for the first time in my life a few times. It happens when Charly is the chaser and their catch-wrestle-hide and seek combo game and Yoda is backed into a corner. It doesn't escalate though. The vet looked at the tiny scan Yoda has on his neck and she said it's perfectly fine and absolutely within the norm of two young rough boys.

This afternoon, Yoda (on the left) went to lie suuuper close to Charly who was already there. He looked at him like "duuuude" for a second then just accepted it. He turned around maybe an hour later, choosing to stay so close. It doesn't happen all the time, but I've also caught them on camera sleeping close together.

View attachment 409709View attachment 409710
My goodness, are those pictures ADROABLE!!!! :) Look at the 2nd picture, paw on the other one (I am guessing Yoda on Charly). TOO ADORABLE!!!!

"So the last couple days, as Charly gets increasingly more confident" - GREAT!!! More confident

" and as a result wilder during play, I've heard Yoda growl for the first time in my life a few times." - Ok, it happens. What happens after is what is important.

" It happens when Charly is the chaser and their catch-wrestle-hide and seek combo game and Yoda is backed into a corner." - Yep, that is common. He is making sure Charly wont do something. If Charly respects the growl then it is fine.

" It doesn't escalate though." - THAT is the KEY!!!

" The vet looked at the tiny scan Yoda has on his neck and she said it's perfectly fine and absolutely within the norm of two young rough boys." - Ok, yes, accident injuries can happen. Again, how they act after tells us everything. If we see changes then we will do some things.

"This afternoon, Yoda (on the left) went to lie suuuper close to Charly who was already there. He looked at him like "duuuude" for a second then just accepted it. He turned around maybe an hour later, choosing to stay so close. It doesn't happen all the time, but I've also caught them on camera sleeping close together. " - Awwwwwww. That tells us everything, they are just fine. Bonded, loving.

That second picture is AMAZING!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! :) I don't think you have any reason to worry but if anything changes let me know and we'll fix it. :)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's Charly on the right so the paw you're referring to (I think) is Charly's actually :)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes they've come a long way! Charly is now becoming more boisterous and has picked up on how to cat wrestle from Yoda - all wrestling still looks rough but I'm noticing retracted claws and inhibited bites. Charly has actually overall learned bite inhibition (!!!). It's a huge deal for me since he was (understandably) not very good at that having been raised as a lone bottle baby. He would quite often draw blood from me or my boyfriend when overstimulated if I didn't read his signs correctly and prevent it from happening. It still happens sometimes but his bite is now inhibited and barely hurts. Amazing to me.

He doesn't always respect the growl if that means he should back up - he will continue to hover and corner him a bit for a couple minutes more. Although when he does run away then Yoda becomes the chaser again and they're playing in a more balanced way again and usually fall asleep close-ish (on the same bed or together on the wardrobe) after. So I'm not sure if respecting would be leaving him alone. He doesn't strike or hurt him so I'm happy with that. It seems all play, much like how Yoda sometimes was so fixated on playing whatever Charly wants or doesn't and would continue despite yowling and growling and hissing and general uncomfy vocalisations from Charly. Those have 96% disappeared and their WWE training is now silent 😂 so I'm guessing increasingly bolder Charly now has to deal with some growls from yoda, who is also learning in return now that even more proactively playing Charly won't harm him. Charly has actually accepted Yoda encroaching on his cuddle time a few times now. Usually if Charly was on me to get some cuddles, if Yoda tried to climb on too he would hiss, swat, growl and sometimes bite his ears or head a little. Now he may look at him wide eyed for a little or seem on edge for a sec but he doesn't lash out and somewhat settles down which both of them on my lap or chest if I'm lying down.

Should yoda's growling be a concern or will it be fine if Charly doesn't actually harm him? It looks like what Charly went through when Yoda was the instigator 90% of the time. Maybe now it's yoda's turn to go through the same as the ratio is evening out and Charly is becoming much more proactive in starting and chasing and initiating play.

In general, hisses are down to almost never. They pass each other very closely, eat together, and generally hang and play a lot. Earlier Charly was dozing and Yoda was insanely energetically playing with the feather right next to him. He only looked up once when he did a record breaking high jump and just went back to snoozing as Yoda continued to jump around like a rabbit on crack right next to him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they've come a long way! Charly is now becoming more boisterous and has picked up on how to cat wrestle from Yoda - all wrestling still looks rough but I'm noticing retracted claws and inhibited bites. Charly has actually overall learned bite inhibition (!!!). It's a huge deal for me since he was (understandably) not very good at that having been raised as a lone bottle baby. He would quite often draw blood from me or my boyfriend when overstimulated if I didn't read his signs correctly and prevent it from happening. It still happens sometimes but his bite is now inhibited and barely hurts. Amazing to me.

He doesn't always respect the growl if that means he should back up - he will continue to hover and corner him a bit for a couple minutes more. Although when he does run away then Yoda becomes the chaser again and they're playing in a more balanced way again and usually fall asleep close-ish (on the same bed or together on the wardrobe) after. So I'm not sure if respecting would be leaving him alone. He doesn't strike or hurt him so I'm happy with that. It seems all play, much like how Yoda sometimes was so fixated on playing whatever Charly wants or doesn't and would continue despite yowling and growling and hissing and general uncomfy vocalisations from Charly. Those have 96% disappeared and their WWE training is now silent 😂 so I'm guessing increasingly bolder Charly now has to deal with some growls from yoda, who is also learning in return now that even more proactively playing Charly won't harm him. Charly has actually accepted Yoda encroaching on his cuddle time a few times now. Usually if Charly was on me to get some cuddles, if Yoda tried to climb on too he would hiss, swat, growl and sometimes bite his ears or head a little. Now he may look at him wide eyed for a little or seem on edge for a sec but he doesn't lash out and somewhat settles down which both of them on my lap or chest if I'm lying down.

Should yoda's growling be a concern or will it be fine if Charly doesn't actually harm him? It looks like what Charly went through when Yoda was the instigator 90% of the time. Maybe now it's yoda's turn to go through the same as the ratio is evening out and Charly is becoming much more proactive in starting and chasing and initiating play.

In general, hisses are down to almost never. They pass each other very closely, eat together, and generally hang and play a lot. Earlier Charly was dozing and Yoda was insanely energetically playing with the feather right next to him. He only looked up once when he did a record breaking high jump and just went back to snoozing as Yoda continued to jump around like a rabbit on crack right next to him.
"Yes they've come a long way!" - Yes and it is the pace at how fast is happened that is wonderful and honestly so impressive!!! You deserve SO MUCH CREDIT and should be SO PROUD!!! And so should Yoda and Charly (especially Charly)!!

"Charly is now becoming more boisterous and has picked up on how to cat wrestle from Yoda" - Oh my, :) Yoda is teaching him!!! ;)

" - all wrestling still looks rough but I'm noticing retracted claws and inhibited bites." - Yes, it is all play (rough play). Boys do that. :/

" Charly has actually overall learned bite inhibition (!!!). It's a huge deal for me since he was (understandably) not very good at that having been raised as a lone bottle baby. He would quite often draw blood from me or my boyfriend when overstimulated if I didn't read his signs correctly and prevent it from happening. It still happens sometimes but his bite is now inhibited and barely hurts. Amazing to me." - FANTASTIC!!!! What an AMAZING benefit!!! It is amazing to see the socialization going on.

"He doesn't always respect the growl if that means he should back up - he will continue to hover and corner him a bit for a couple minutes more." - Ok but if he is pausing then it is respecting. And the growl might be a "hey, cool it" rather than a "please stop and go away".

" Although when he does run away then Yoda becomes the chaser again and they're playing in a more balanced way again" - Awwwwwww, and that tells us everything that it is play.

" and usually fall asleep close-ish (on the same bed or together on the wardrobe) after. " - Awwwwwww, another sign of it all being play.

"So I'm not sure if respecting would be leaving him alone." - Respecting would be pausing, not escalating, etc.

" He doesn't strike or hurt him so I'm happy with that." - Yes but still great. They love an respect each other (and trust). We can't ask for more than that!!! :)

" It seems all play," - Totally agree

" much like how Yoda sometimes was so fixated on playing whatever Charly wants or doesn't and would continue despite yowling and growling and hissing and general uncomfy vocalisations from Charly. " - Yes

"Those have 96% disappeared and their WWE training is now silent 😂 " - Hahahaha, seriously you are so funny!!! I had to google what WWE is. :/ WWE training. TOO FUNNY!! Great. Cats will vocalize and it can mean a lot. It really is a total package that is the key meaning it is how they act, during and after, how they make sounds, etc. It is a whole picture.

"so I'm guessing increasingly bolder Charly now has to deal with some growls from yoda," - Awwwwwwww

" who is also learning in return now that even more proactively playing Charly won't harm him." - Yes :)

" Charly has actually accepted Yoda encroaching on his cuddle time a few times now." - WOW!!!! THAT is a BIG DEAL!!!

" Usually if Charly was on me to get some cuddles, if Yoda tried to climb on too he would hiss, swat, growl and sometimes bite his ears or head a little. Now he may look at him wide eyed for a little or seem on edge for a sec but he doesn't lash out and somewhat settles down which both of them on my lap or chest if I'm lying down." - FANTASTIC!!!!

I can't believe Charly was a bottle baby. This all is so amazing!!! :)

"Should yoda's growling be a concern or will it be fine if Charly doesn't actually harm him? " - We'll keep an eye on it but so far I see no need for concern. If we see a cahnge in behavior, their relationship, etc then we'll do something about it. And even then if there is a strong base of trust and respect and confidence they will work through it. But if needed we would do something as well.

"It looks like what Charly went through when Yoda was the instigator 90% of the time." - Yes, Charly has learned how to play Yoda style. :/

" Maybe now it's yoda's turn to go through the same as the ratio is evening out and Charly is becoming much more proactive in starting and chasing and initiating play." - Hahahaha, yes. As long as Yoda still feels comfortable around Charly then he is telling us it is fine (though maybe a bit rough at times).

"In general, hisses are down to almost never." - :)

" They pass each other very closely, eat together, and generally hang and play a lot." - :) They definitely love each other.

" Earlier Charly was dozing and Yoda was insanely energetically playing with the feather right next to him. He only looked up once when he did a record breaking high jump and just went back to snoozing as Yoda continued to jump around like a rabbit on crack right next to him. " - WOW!!! THAT is TRUST!!!! Yep, Charly has accepted Yoda. :) Hahahahaha, a "rabbit on crack". Seriously, you are too funny!!!

Sounds so amazing!!! :)

I am SO PROUD of you!!!! :)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm very happy with their journey too :) I'm proud of both of them, Charly for obvious reasons as you mentioned, and also Yoda for just being such a non reactive, diplomatic chat overall. He seems to really have been the best possible match for Charly.

Yoda came to cuddle next to me last night, then got up to go lie down next to / on top of Charly (I felt snobbed but also happy 😂) who did the usual wide eyed look for a second then went to continue snoozing. He turned around a bit later and laid down again, just as close to Yoda as before. Yoda slept with his head on Charly's bum 😂 When they woke up Charly gently pawed at him which was so cute.

Later on they were playing and Charly got over excited. He was chasing Yoda like there was no tomorrow and it looked more than rough play at some stage, there was some vocalization from both sides too and he was swatting and hitting him like crazy. Looked almost like an attack and Yoda was not comfortable. But Charly was in go go go mode... Like when he gets play aggressive (happens sometimes). I think I've mentioned before I was scared of this happening at some point. Unfortunately when he plays with toys, when he gets really amped up he sometimes lashes out at me or my ankle. Definitely gotten better but happens, and looks like last night Yoda was the victim of that. I was in the bathroom so I went out but he would. Not. stop. Calling, clapping... nothing. I pushed him away from Yoda who was under the bed at this point and Charly sitting in front waiting to strike.. I used their cat tunnel to push Charly away from Yoda (first thing I could grab) and pulled out two toys. They both responded after a moment and played with the respective toy I was waving for each for a while and then I gave them a bit of kibble and they settled down near each other. So nothing bad happened and Yoda didn't take it personal or become scared of Charly, but that was the first time Charly's demeanor has been so aggressive, even if it was play aggression.

They were normal after and throughout the night (I assume. They didn't wake me up so probably slept a lot, they must have been tired from all that). This morning I woke up with both of them on me and they've been pretty normal all morning.

We've also just switched back the furniture this morning. So far they seem fine, curious and a bit confused but exploring together with play chase in between. I'll hold off on my weekly cleaning for today and just hang out and see how they go now.
Happy to have my bedroom back as a bedroom and living room as living room after almost half a year 🤗

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm very happy with their journey too :) I'm proud of both of them, Charly for obvious reasons as you mentioned, and also Yoda for just being such a non reactive, diplomatic chat overall. He seems to really have been the best possible match for Charly.

Yoda came to cuddle next to me last night, then got up to go lie down next to / on top of Charly (I felt snobbed but also happy 😂) who did the usual wide eyed look for a second then went to continue snoozing. He turned around a bit later and laid down again, just as close to Yoda as before. Yoda slept with his head on Charly's bum 😂 When they woke up Charly gently pawed at him which was so cute.

Later on they were playing and Charly got over excited. He was chasing Yoda like there was no tomorrow and it looked more than rough play at some stage, there was some vocalization from both sides too and he was swatting and hitting him like crazy. Looked almost like an attack and Yoda was not comfortable. But Charly was in go go go mode... Like when he gets play aggressive (happens sometimes). I think I've mentioned before I was scared of this happening at some point. Unfortunately when he plays with toys, when he gets really amped up he sometimes lashes out at me or my ankle. Definitely gotten better but happens, and looks like last night Yoda was the victim of that. I was in the bathroom so I went out but he would. Not. stop. Calling, clapping... nothing. I pushed him away from Yoda who was under the bed at this point and Charly sitting in front waiting to strike.. I used their cat tunnel to push Charly away from Yoda (first thing I could grab) and pulled out two toys. They both responded after a moment and played with the respective toy I was waving for each for a while and then I gave them a bit of kibble and they settled down near each other. So nothing bad happened and Yoda didn't take it personal or become scared of Charly, but that was the first time Charly's demeanor has been so aggressive, even if it was play aggression.

They were normal after and throughout the night (I assume. They didn't wake me up so probably slept a lot, they must have been tired from all that). This morning I woke up with both of them on me and they've been pretty normal all morning.

We've also just switched back the furniture this morning. So far they seem fine, curious and a bit confused but exploring together with play chase in between. I'll hold off on my weekly cleaning for today and just hang out and see how they go now.
Happy to have my bedroom back as a bedroom and living room as living room after almost half a year 🤗
"Thank you!" - You are welcome but THANK YOU!!! :)

" I'm very happy with their journey too :) I'm proud of both of them, Charly for obvious reasons as you mentioned, and also Yoda for just being such a non reactive, diplomatic chat overall. " - AGREED!! :)

"He seems to really have been the best possible match for Charly." - TOTALLY AGREE!!! As well as the humans in their lives.

"Yoda came to cuddle next to me last night, then got up to go lie down next to / on top of Charly (I felt snobbed but also happy 😂) who did the usual wide eyed look for a second then went to continue snoozing. He turned around a bit later and laid down again, just as close to Yoda as before. Yoda slept with his head on Charly's bum 😂 When they woke up Charly gently pawed at him which was so cute." - AWWWWWWWWWW. THAT is SO HEARTWARMING!!! :) I LOVE when they have so many options of love and are so torn over which to choose.

"Later on they were playing and Charly got over excited. He was chasing Yoda like there was no tomorrow and it looked more than rough play at some stage, there was some vocalization from both sides too and he was swatting and hitting him like crazy. Looked almost like an attack and Yoda was not comfortable. But Charly was in go go go mode... Like when he gets play aggressive (happens sometimes). " - Ok

"I think I've mentioned before I was scared of this happening at some point." - Yes

" Unfortunately when he plays with toys, when he gets really amped up he sometimes lashes out at me or my ankle." - Yes :/

" Definitely gotten better but happens," - Yes

" and looks like last night Yoda was the victim of that." - :/ Ok. I am not too surprised. How they act after is important.

" I was in the bathroom so I went out but he would. Not. stop. Calling, clapping... nothing." - Ok

" I pushed him away from Yoda who was under the bed at this point and Charly sitting in front waiting to strike.." - Ok BUT I want you to be VERY CAREFUL doing that.

" I used their cat tunnel to push Charly away from Yoda (first thing I could grab)" - Ok

" and pulled out two toys." - GREAT

" They both responded after a moment and played with the respective toy I was waving for each for a while and then I gave them a bit of kibble and they settled down near each other." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: GREAT JOB!!!! That is part of being a bottle baby I believe. :(

" So nothing bad happened and Yoda didn't take it personal or become scared of Charly," - GREAT.

" but that was the first time Charly's demeanor has been so aggressive, even if it was play aggression." - Yes and probably not the last. :/ BUT I do think Yoda will be able to handle it. We'll keep an eye on it. Cats at times just get in that "hunting mode" and get that tunnel vision. :/

"They were normal after and throughout the night (I assume. They didn't wake me up so probably slept a lot, they must have been tired from all that). This morning I woke up with both of them on me and they've been pretty normal all morning." - GREAT!!!! Charly didn't mean harm and Yoda knows that. We'll keep an eye on it. Unfortunately it is something we often have to deal with.

"We've also just switched back the furniture this morning. So far they seem fine, curious and a bit confused but exploring together with play chase in between. " - Wow, ok. So far so good.

"I'll hold off on my weekly cleaning for today and just hang out and see how they go now." - That is a very good idea. We ant to keep them a bit calm for now as much as possible.

"Happy to have my bedroom back as a bedroom and living room as living room after almost half a year 🤗 " - :) It was all worth it though!! :)

I really am not worried about Charly and how Yoda will respond BUT we will keep an eye on it and deal with anything that may come up. But I think they are well past any "risk".

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was really worth it yes :)

I went out for a couple hours tonight and kept the camera on. They now sleep on the couch in living room rather than the bed now that we've inverted them again. 😂

I thought they would still choose the bed because of scent and all that. That couch hasn't been used by us in about 5 months really. But apparently it's about location.. although before going out we spent quite some time chilling on the couch with them. There's much less space so they squabbled a bit but eventually fell asleep next to each other (touching).

When I was out I peeked in through the camera and they were both sleeping on the couch the whole time ;)

cats_live_1644100931814.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was really worth it yes :)

I went out for a couple hours tonight and kept the camera on. They now sleep on the couch in living room rather than the bed now that we've inverted them again. 😂

I thought they would still choose the bed because of scent and all that. That couch hasn't been used by us in about 5 months really. But apparently it's about location.. although before going out we spent quite some time chilling on the couch with them. There's much less space so they squabbled a bit but eventually fell asleep next to each other (touching).

When I was out I peeked in through the camera and they were both sleeping on the couch the whole time ;)

View attachment 409991
"It was really worth it yes :) " - 😍

"I went out for a couple hours tonight and kept the camera on. They now sleep on the couch in living room rather than the bed now that we've inverted them again. 😂" - Awwwwwwwwwww

"I thought they would still choose the bed because of scent and all that." - Well, territory is location as well, access points, views, etc.

" That couch hasn't been used by us in about 5 months really. But apparently it's about location.. " - Yes, a lot of it is THOUGH scent does matter also.

"although before going out we spent quite some time chilling on the couch with them." - Awwwwwwwwwww, fantastic!!!

" There's much less space so they squabbled a bit " - Yes, understandable.

"but eventually fell asleep next to each other (touching)." - PERFECT!!!! And that is everything!!!

"When I was out I peeked in through the camera and they were both sleeping on the couch the whole time ;) " -Awwwwwwwwwww

LOVE the picture!!! They are SO ADORABLE!!!!!! :purr:

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They adjusted well to the "new" old furniture layout. They both sleep with me in the bed still. Charly actually the first night after putting it all back went straight for his usual bedtime routine as if nothing had happened in the last 6 months! As soon as I brush my teeth he runs to the bedroom, jumps on his pillow and waits for his good night treat (I trained him to do that so I could go to sleep in peace as he would try to chase my covers and me while I was trying to lie down otherwise). Yoda is now following his lead.

They play lots and there are barely any hisses from Charly anymore. Occasional swats but even those are few and far between. He allows sniffing, nose touching and Yoda lying very close to him. They love to play and run and chase and wrestle and getting Charly more involved in interactive play with me is still challenging but there is (very) slow progress.

The downside is that, the less Charly plays with me to get some energy out (and I'm trying EVERYTHING but he seems to feel on edge and distracted by Yoda sometimes, but if I put Yoda in the bedroom to play with Charly in the living toomt , he'll just sit at the door until I let Yoda out.

So about once a day he gets too worked up and it looks like he wants to proper attack Yoda. He will chase him and lash out in a more violent way (no blood) and Yoda will run under the bed or under the table and growl his head off. Charly doesn't keep attacking but kind of corners him. When I'm around I try to seperate using a lightweight wooden plank I have lying about. They do accept treats together. Getting Yoda out to play takes a couple minutes.

If I break the interaction using a distractor such as rustling a treat bag in the kitchen they both come running and sit next to each other. Yoda seems a bit tentative for a few minutes but then either goes to chase Charly or just lie down close to him.

Also last night, for the first time ever, Charly laid down next to Yoda (touching), not the other way around! Yoda was there first on my partner's legs, then Charly came and joined on his lap.

IMG_20220212_211605543_HDR.jpg

I'm worried about these episodes where Charly gets so worked up that he lashes out. He gets some fur sometimes but I haven't noticed any scratches. I'm hoping he'll learn from yodas growling and the fact that he hides the he game is over and it's no fun..but I'm not sure. When he gets real worked up he gets a bit aggressive also when playing with me with fishing pole etc. I'm worried it could scare Yoda over time. For now he luckily isn't retaliating, just growling, hiding, and when Charly continues to sort of corner him he may swat a bit.
Really don't know how to read it. My psychologist says why worry so much, it's just two brothers squabbling sometimes. It's like the growling and vocalizing have now been reversed, with Charly being silent and Yoda feeling a bit uncomfy (my interpretation). Although he seems normal and fine after.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They adjusted well to the "new" old furniture layout. They both sleep with me in the bed still. Charly actually the first night after putting it all back went straight for his usual bedtime routine as if nothing had happened in the last 6 months! As soon as I brush my teeth he runs to the bedroom, jumps on his pillow and waits for his good night treat (I trained him to do that so I could go to sleep in peace as he would try to chase my covers and me while I was trying to lie down otherwise). Yoda is now following his lead.

They play lots and there are barely any hisses from Charly anymore. Occasional swats but even those are few and far between. He allows sniffing, nose touching and Yoda lying very close to him. They love to play and run and chase and wrestle and getting Charly more involved in interactive play with me is still challenging but there is (very) slow progress.

The downside is that, the less Charly plays with me to get some energy out (and I'm trying EVERYTHING but he seems to feel on edge and distracted by Yoda sometimes, but if I put Yoda in the bedroom to play with Charly in the living toomt , he'll just sit at the door until I let Yoda out.

So about once a day he gets too worked up and it looks like he wants to proper attack Yoda. He will chase him and lash out in a more violent way (no blood) and Yoda will run under the bed or under the table and growl his head off. Charly doesn't keep attacking but kind of corners him. When I'm around I try to seperate using a lightweight wooden plank I have lying about. They do accept treats together. Getting Yoda out to play takes a couple minutes.

If I break the interaction using a distractor such as rustling a treat bag in the kitchen they both come running and sit next to each other. Yoda seems a bit tentative for a few minutes but then either goes to chase Charly or just lie down close to him.

Also last night, for the first time ever, Charly laid down next to Yoda (touching), not the other way around! Yoda was there first on my partner's legs, then Charly came and joined on his lap.

View attachment 410892
I'm worried about these episodes where Charly gets so worked up that he lashes out. He gets some fur sometimes but I haven't noticed any scratches. I'm hoping he'll learn from yodas growling and the fact that he hides the he game is over and it's no fun..but I'm not sure. When he gets real worked up he gets a bit aggressive also when playing with me with fishing pole etc. I'm worried it could scare Yoda over time. For now he luckily isn't retaliating, just growling, hiding, and when Charly continues to sort of corner him he may swat a bit.
Really don't know how to read it. My psychologist says why worry so much, it's just two brothers squabbling sometimes. It's like the growling and vocalizing have now been reversed, with Charly being silent and Yoda feeling a bit uncomfy (my interpretation). Although he seems normal and fine after.
"They adjusted well to the "new" old furniture layout." - Great

" They both sleep with me in the bed still." - Awwwwwwww

" Charly actually the first night after putting it all back went straight for his usual bedtime routine as if nothing had happened in the last 6 months! " - Wow, impressive!!! AND a great sign.

"As soon as I brush my teeth he runs to the bedroom, jumps on his pillow and waits for his good night treat (I trained him to do that so I could go to sleep in peace as he would try to chase my covers and me while I was trying to lie down otherwise). Yoda is now following his lead." - Awwwwww, how adorable is that?!?!?!?!?!

"They play lots and there are barely any hisses from Charly anymore." - Great

" Occasional swats but even those are few and far between." - Yep, that will happen.

" He allows sniffing, nose touching and Yoda lying very close to him." - Awwwwwwwwww

" They love to play and run and chase and wrestle"- Awwwwwwwwww, terrific

" and getting Charly more involved in interactive play with me is still challenging but there is (very) slow progress." - Ok, that is fine

"The downside is that, the less Charly plays with me to get some energy out (and I'm trying EVERYTHING but he seems to feel on edge and distracted by Yoda sometimes, but if I put Yoda in the bedroom to play with Charly in the living toomt , he'll just sit at the door until I let Yoda out." - Well, he wants his brother. Understandable.

"So about once a day he gets too worked up and it looks like he wants to proper attack Yoda." - Ok

" He will chase him and lash out in a more violent way (no blood) and Yoda will run under the bed or under the table and growl his head off." - Ok

" Charly doesn't keep attacking " - GREAT

"but kind of corners him." - Ok, yep, teaching boundaries, who is boss, etc maybe,

" When I'm around I try to seperate using a lightweight wooden plank I have lying about. " - Ok. No other way to get Charly less focused on him?

"They do accept treats together." - Great. During or right after the coenering?

" Getting Yoda out to play takes a couple minutes." - Ok, not too bad.

"If I break the interaction using a distractor such as rustling a treat bag in the kitchen they both come running and sit next to each other." - GERAT!!! That tells us it is not that bad at all.

" Yoda seems a bit tentative for a few minutes but then either goes to chase Charly or just lie down close to him." - Great. So Yoda is telling us it is not a big deal really.

"Also last night, for the first time ever, Charly laid down next to Yoda (touching), not the other way around! Yoda was there first on my partner's legs, then Charly came and joined on his lap. " - WOW, GREAT!!!

Look at that picture!!!! FANTASTIC!!!

"I'm worried about these episodes where Charly gets so worked up that he lashes out." - Well, I think it might be part of his upbringing. BUT it doesn't sound that bad. Let's keep an eye on it. But my take is, Charly doesn't really know how to play and that is how he does it and/or he is trying to teach some boundaries, manners, etc. But I just do not see it as really negative because if ti was there is no way they would be ok after it.

" He gets some fur sometimes" - Yes, that can happen. But IF it was bad Yoda would act differently.

" but I haven't noticed any scratches." - Great

" I'm hoping he'll learn from yodas growling and the fact that he hides the he game is over and it's no fun..but I'm not sure." - Yes, agreed. We'll have to see.

" When he gets real worked up he gets a bit aggressive also when playing with me with fishing pole etc." - Yes, another reason why I am not concerned.

" I'm worried it could scare Yoda over time." - Well, I guess yes BUT there will be many warnings and time to deal with it before that happens. Yoda is confident so it will take time for that to wane. We would se changes in Yoda's behavior well before it would be a real issue.

"For now he luckily isn't retaliating, just growling, hiding, and when Charly continues to sort of corner him he may swat a bit." - Yes. Well, we could see Yoda push back a bit at some point. And how they handle that will tell us a lot.

"Really don't know how to read it." - I think it is Charly being Charly, getting worked up, play and/or some teaching moments, boundaries, etc. Boys can be really rough. :/

" My psychologist says why worry so much, it's just two brothers squabbling sometimes." - I do agree with that. There would be multiple other signs if there were real issues.

" It's like the growling and vocalizing have now been reversed, with Charly being silent and Yoda feeling a bit uncomfy (my interpretation)." - It is now Yoda telling when enough is enough in a diplomatic way as best he can.

"Although he seems normal and fine after. " - And THAT is the important thing. If we see changes then we would have the warnings.

So just keep making positive associations, positive encounters, distract in a positive way if possible. Keep building Yoda's confidence (Play, Food, Height and Love). And just enjoy them. I agree, no need to worry, just have fun with them and stay calm and confident for them.

They are fine and will be fine. I am not at all worried. :) They are just boys. They do stuff like this. :/

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's happened only once or twice that Charly wouldn't be distracted or called back and had Yoda cornered under the bed or table, who was proper growling and hissing. Charly didn't advance any more but Yoda was sort of backed in. So those two times I've put something between them and one time I left Charly in the bedroom and carried Yoda out real quick. He was way too worked up so I let him cool off in there for five minutes and then let him out and they had treats together and all was good.

The other time I put the tunnel between them, which I think that one I've told you about before when the bed was still in the living room. Besides that I've tried and been successful with treats but I was worried it may be rewarding it if I use treats when it happens? Toy and loud noise didn't work to deter Charly.

If I use Charly's favourite treat the world could be crashing around him and he'd come running for them as soon as he hears me touch the wrapper so that works. But wouldn't that be rewarding him for what he's doing? Maybe? I'm not sure.

I'm getting much better at wagging two toys and managing two fishing poles. Charly is starting to bunny kick his toys again even though he startles easily if Yoda makes a loud noise with his toy on the other side of the room. But they're getting better.
Now I need to get my partner trained on how to wear them out with play because I just booked flights to go see my family for a week in two months. And they'll be alone together for an extended time for the first time. They are alone together every day, although the length varies, and I'm not worried about them when they're home alone. I know neither means harm to the other. But I am worried about leaving them for a whole week. I also don't want to separate them again, at all. I just hope it'll all be fine when I'm away and their routines are disrupted and playtime will be different...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's happened only once or twice that Charly wouldn't be distracted or called back and had Yoda cornered under the bed or table, who was proper growling and hissing. Charly didn't advance any more but Yoda was sort of backed in. So those two times I've put something between them and one time I left Charly in the bedroom and carried Yoda out real quick. He was way too worked up so I let him cool off in there for five minutes and then let him out and they had treats together and all was good.

The other time I put the tunnel between them, which I think that one I've told you about before when the bed was still in the living room. Besides that I've tried and been successful with treats but I was worried it may be rewarding it if I use treats when it happens? Toy and loud noise didn't work to deter Charly.

If I use Charly's favourite treat the world could be crashing around him and he'd come running for them as soon as he hears me touch the wrapper so that works. But wouldn't that be rewarding him for what he's doing? Maybe? I'm not sure.

I'm getting much better at wagging two toys and managing two fishing poles. Charly is starting to bunny kick his toys again even though he startles easily if Yoda makes a loud noise with his toy on the other side of the room. But they're getting better.
Now I need to get my partner trained on how to wear them out with play because I just booked flights to go see my family for a week in two months. And they'll be alone together for an extended time for the first time. They are alone together every day, although the length varies, and I'm not worried about them when they're home alone. I know neither means harm to the other. But I am worried about leaving them for a whole week. I also don't want to separate them again, at all. I just hope it'll all be fine when I'm away and their routines are disrupted and playtime will be different...
"It's happened only once or twice that Charly wouldn't be distracted or called back and had Yoda cornered under the bed or table, who was proper growling and hissing." - Ok, good, that is not worrying.

" Charly didn't advance any more but Yoda was sort of backed in." - Yes

" So those two times I've put something between them and one time I left Charly in the bedroom and carried Yoda out real quick." - Ok

"He was way too worked up so I let him cool off in there for five minutes and then let him out and they had treats together and all was good." - Great. Yes, that tells me it was not an issue. It happens with cats (and people).

"The other time I put the tunnel between them, which I think that one I've told you about before when the bed was still in the living room. " - Ok

"Besides that I've tried and been successful with treats but I was worried it may be rewarding it if I use treats when it happens?" - Well, I am not a big believer in that rewarding bad behavior. I think the avoidance and distraction is more positive than any worry about rewarding bad behavior. BUT I know people disagree. If we avoid a negative it is a positive.

" Toy and loud noise didn't work to deter Charly." - Yes. I usually use a disappointed tone to let the cat know it is something that is not acceptable.

"If I use Charly's favourite treat the world could be crashing around him and he'd come running for them as soon as he hears me touch the wrapper so that works." - Awwwwwwww. I think that is great.

" But wouldn't that be rewarding him for what he's doing? Maybe? I'm not sure." - I don't think so. As I said, avoiding a negative is positive and if that is the only thing then......................................

"I'm getting much better at wagging two toys and managing two fishing poles." - Hahahaha, great!!!

" Charly is starting to bunny kick his toys again even though he startles easily if Yoda makes a loud noise with his toy on the other side of the room. But they're getting better." - Awwwww, great

"Now I need to get my partner trained on how to wear them out with play because I just booked flights to go see my family for a week in two months." - :) I think it will be fine.

" And they'll be alone together for an extended time for the first time." - Yes

" They are alone together every day, although the length varies, and I'm not worried about them when they're home alone." - Yes but it is the change with you not being around. :/ But it should be fine.

" I know neither means harm to the other." - Agreed

" But I am worried about leaving them for a whole week." - Well, it is a long time away. IF there would be an issue we would know it and can deal with it.

"I also don't want to separate them again, at all." - Yes but if we have to it will not be an issue at all.

"I just hope it'll all be fine when I'm away and their routines are disrupted and playtime will be different... " - I think everything will be fine. We have 2 months of time to watch, learn etc. We can handle anything. :) I would not worry one second. Just enjoy yourself and your time with them and look forward to seeing your family again!!! :)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_20220308_002537835_HDR.jpg

That's Charly sleeping on Yoda.

IMG_20220307_235557362.jpg

He seemed surprised when Charly decided to snuggle up. So was I 🤣

IMG_20220307_235345689.jpg
IMG_20220308_002426244_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220307_235406483.jpg

They look like angels but they do require intense play sessions and even with that, they still wrestle lots and sometimes Charly gets over excited and there's dramatic hissing yelping, growling from Yoda. Happens probably once or twice a day but they're always fine after. They always come when hearing the treat bag though or if a visual barrier is put between them (pillow, anything) they calm down. Sometimes theres a little bit of fur. When it gets too crazy sometimes I'll put one in a different room for 5-10 mins to cool off slightly.

Camera shows they sleep lots when I'm away but sometimes I see them up and wandering around or playing and they're always fine when I come home so even if they also get into their little brother fights when I'm not here they're always fine after and can handle it themselves.
Not sure if it's an issue but sometimes Charly gets a bit violent, although not in a malicious way - just the way he is with his toys and anything that gets in the way. He gets tunnel vision and goes into hunt = attack mode.
Yoda then gets very defensive and growls hisses and hides under the table or in a corner. If Charly keeps going or continues lashing out (chasing and biting which seems uncomfortable to Yoda but no blood) and some chasing in a more 'aggressive' way, lunging with his front legs but no claws that I've seen. Again, no injuries and they're always fine either working it out themselves and just getting tired of it (like if im woken up by it at night, sometimes I don't have the strength to get up and they just keep at it until they're tired, go snack on some food if there are leftovers from their dry ration and settle down on or around my bed and fall asleep). Or if I intervene and gently lead one into another room or distract them with treats or toys it's like nothing ever happened.

I've noticed Yoda would just love to groom Charly but he's not having it most of the time. Usually he will gently swat at him if he's very sleepy. Sometimes he will mock bite and progress to hiss and maybe real swats at which point Yoda gives up and moves over a bit. It's a shame but also with us he only wants to be touched when he wants it. Just makes me feel for Yoda sometimes because he looks like he'd just love to love on his brother that way.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 412976
That's Charly sleeping on Yoda.

View attachment 412977
He seemed surprised when Charly decided to snuggle up. So was I 🤣

View attachment 412978View attachment 412979View attachment 412980

They look like angels but they do require intense play sessions and even with that, they still wrestle lots and sometimes Charly gets over excited and there's dramatic hissing yelping, growling from Yoda. Happens probably once or twice a day but they're always fine after. They always come when hearing the treat bag though or if a visual barrier is put between them (pillow, anything) they calm down. Sometimes theres a little bit of fur. When it gets too crazy sometimes I'll put one in a different room for 5-10 mins to cool off slightly.

Camera shows they sleep lots when I'm away but sometimes I see them up and wandering around or playing and they're always fine when I come home so even if they also get into their little brother fights when I'm not here they're always fine after and can handle it themselves.
Not sure if it's an issue but sometimes Charly gets a bit violent, although not in a malicious way - just the way he is with his toys and anything that gets in the way. He gets tunnel vision and goes into hunt = attack mode.
Yoda then gets very defensive and growls hisses and hides under the table or in a corner. If Charly keeps going or continues lashing out (chasing and biting which seems uncomfortable to Yoda but no blood) and some chasing in a more 'aggressive' way, lunging with his front legs but no claws that I've seen. Again, no injuries and they're always fine either working it out themselves and just getting tired of it (like if im woken up by it at night, sometimes I don't have the strength to get up and they just keep at it until they're tired, go snack on some food if there are leftovers from their dry ration and settle down on or around my bed and fall asleep). Or if I intervene and gently lead one into another room or distract them with treats or toys it's like nothing ever happened.

I've noticed Yoda would just love to groom Charly but he's not having it most of the time. Usually he will gently swat at him if he's very sleepy. Sometimes he will mock bite and progress to hiss and maybe real swats at which point Yoda gives up and moves over a bit. It's a shame but also with us he only wants to be touched when he wants it. Just makes me feel for Yoda sometimes because he looks like he'd just love to love on his brother that way.
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I have tears of joy running down my cheeks!!!!! My heart is exploding with love and joy seeing these pictures!!!! :redheartpump:

Look at Charly???? Did you ever think we would see that???? He LOVES his brother!!!!

"They look like angels" - They do!!!! :)

" but they do require intense play sessions" - Yes

" and even with that, they still wrestle lots" - Yes, that is their play as well. :/ Boys..........................

" and sometimes Charly gets over excited and there's dramatic hissing yelping, growling from Yoda." - Yes. Boys do get very wild and rough.

" Happens probably once or twice a day" - Yes

" but they're always fine after." - THAT is the key!!! That tells us everything.

"They always come when hearing the treat bag though or if a visual barrier is put between them (pillow, anything) they calm down." - Great!!!

" Sometimes theres a little bit of fur." - Yes that will happen. But how they act after tells us everything.

" When it gets too crazy sometimes I'll put one in a different room for 5-10 mins to cool off slightly." - Awwwwwwwwww

"Camera shows they sleep lots when I'm away but sometimes I see them up and wandering around or playing and they're always fine" - Awwwwwwwwwwwww

" when I come home so even if they also get into their little brother fights when I'm not here they're always fine after and can handle it themselves." - Yes :) They have that bond, that base of trust and love. THAT is the important thing.

"Not sure if it's an issue but sometimes Charly gets a bit violent, although not in a malicious way - just the way he is with his toys and anything that gets in the way. He gets tunnel vision and goes into hunt = attack mode." - Yes, that is more common and especially for bottle babies.

"Yoda then gets very defensive and growls hisses and hides under the table or in a corner." - Yes, that is good that he doesn't escalate.

" If Charly keeps going or continues lashing out (chasing and biting which seems uncomfortable to Yoda but no blood) and some chasing in a more 'aggressive' way, lunging with his front legs but no claws that I've seen." - Yes. That is just his way and he doesn't seem to mean harm and the way Yoda acts after supports that.

" Again, no injuries and they're always fine either working it out themselves" - Great

" and just getting tired of it" - Yes :/ Understandable. I have two ferals in my colony like that. I am always telling them to "knock it off". :/ Some cats are just rough players. :/

" (like if im woken up by it at night, sometimes I don't have the strength to get up and they just keep at it until they're tired, go snack on some food if there are leftovers from their dry ration and settle down on or around my bed and fall asleep). " - Yes. They just get excited, have too much energy, play then sleep. :/

"Or if I intervene and gently lead one into another room or distract them with treats or toys it's like nothing ever happened." - Awwwww, yes, they don't mean harm.

"I've noticed Yoda would just love to groom Charly but he's not having it most of the time." - Awwwwwwww For now maybe......... ;) He might win over Charly.

" Usually he will gently swat at him if he's very sleepy. " - Awwwwwwwww

"Sometimes he will mock bite and progress to hiss and maybe real swats at which point Yoda gives up and moves over a bit." - Yes, totally fine.

" It's a shame but also with us he only wants to be touched when he wants it." - It is but that is ok. They are learning about each other.

"Just makes me feel for Yoda sometimes because he looks like he'd just love to love on his brother that way. " - Awwwww, well, Yoda seems happy. So I don't think you have to feel too badly for Yoda. It seems like he is loving his new family!!! But I know what you mean. Maybe Yoda will win him over soon. :)

What a WONDERFUL update!! I am blown away by how great Charly is. Those pictures are AMAZING!!!! Yoda is really expanding Charly's life and giving him even more joy from another angle. It is absolutely fantastic!!!

GREAT JOB!!!! And thank you for the update!!! You MADE MY DAY!!! :redheartpump:

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad. I felt like wanting to give some positive news with all that is going on in the world these days.

It is amazing to watch their relationship change and evolve over time. I will admit, I would never have expected it to go so well. Sure they fight (or well, maybe I should say get into disagreements and squabbles, it's not really fighting I guess) but I was hoping for toleration. They are definitely still getting to know each other and getting more used to each other (well, Charly. Yoda is a chill cat who is basically fine with whatever lol).

I'd always thought getting a second cat may be negative for Charly since he grew up alone. I couldn't have imagined him accepting another cat.

Last night was the first time Charly not only allowed Yoda to get so close but actually snuggled into him a bit. He's still his grumpy grandpa self most of the time and while he does play with Yoda often too, he sometimes just looks at him or swats him like "the youth these days.. get away from me you punk". I do think though that it has been a very positive change overall.

His anxiety (recurrent periods of overgrooming, licking his leg bald, vomiting and retching) have disappeared completely. He's overall more chill and eats better. Now I'm feeling guilty i didn't get him a playmate or someone to keep him company when I'm at work sooner... Although I suppose Yoda was sent to us for a reason, I don't think we would have had the same outcome with a different personality cat. He was the perfect fit for Charly ☺