Need Good Vibes For Daughter and Grandson

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last few days have been rough for my family. My daughter is 29 weeks pregnant and is currently in the hospital with severe preeclampsia and gestational diabetes. On Tuesday, I took her to her doctor's appointment and then to the hospital for a RhoGam shot, some additional bloodwork, and to schedule her 3-hour glucose test. While there, she started experiencing moderate bleeding. They admitted her and ran more tests, which determined that she has severe preeclampsia. She already had a congenital kidney disorder and heart problems that cause her to have high blood pressure. Because she was 28 weeks and 2 days, they transported her to a larger, (somewhat) nearby hospital with a NICU and high-risk OBGYNs.

They started her on magnesium sulfate and steroids. The plan is/was for her to stay in the hospital until she is 34 weeks and deliver the baby. By Thursday, they put her on a lower, maintenance of the magnesium sulfate and she was able to take showers and use the bathroom if someone was with her. Her blood pressure was lower (down to 139/80 from 196/120) and she was feeling well enough to play cards with me for a few hours. Friday afternoon, she took a turn for the worse. Her blood pressure spiked again, she had a horrific headache, and was experiencing trouble breathing and chest pain. They ran a blood test and gave her another EKG and ultrasound on her heart. The blood test showed troponin, which typically signifies a heart attack or other heart issue. The ultrasound shows fluid in her lungs and around her heart. I was not there when the EKG results were told to her, and she is in such a state that she does not exactly remember, so I have to ask the doctor tomorrow when I go back to visit. Today (Saturday), she had minor seizures. They increased the magnesium sulfate, started blood thinners, and ordered 100% bed rest. They told her that it is unlikely she will be permitted to go to 34 weeks.

I plan on visiting as much as I can; however, my anxiety keeps me all but housebound, so going that far for that long is horrific. I have a wheelchair but cannot push myself very far or up ramps due to my own heart issues. The closest parking would require me to push myself up three ramps, across a bridge, and around to the correct elevators. I just cannot do it, so I have to use valet parking each time. We are talking to the hospital's social services to try to get a reduction in valet costs. That will help me be able to go and see her more often.

They estimate the baby's weight to be around 3lbs. Both of my children were born early (7 weeks). Two of my nephews were born at 28 weeks. I even had preeclampsia with my children, along with a heart condition. I keep reminding myself that it all worked out for my children and my nephews. But then I remind myself that my sister's friend died while in labor after being diagnosed with preeclampsia. And I cannot get the fact that her kidneys and heart are bad enough that they have talked about kidney transplants and that she was told never to get pregnant. She had some complications since the start of it, but we just kept hoping that the medications would keep her blood pressure in check well enough until she had the baby.

Any good vibes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me dump all of this here.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Today they can do wonders medically and I have high hopes
for your daughter and the baby. You take care of yourself and vent all you need to here.

Mia xxx :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Today they can do wonders medically and I have high hopes
for your daughter and the baby. You take care of yourself and vent all you need to here.

Thank you! I am trying to keep my hopes up, but yesterday was a hard day.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I am sorry. I will keep your daughter and her baby in my thoughts. :hugs:

When I was pregnant with our son, the doctor put me on bed rest for the last six weeks because my blood pressure went crazy. I either had to promise him I'd stay down or he was going to put me into the hospital.

I hope your daughter and grandbaby will be OK!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your daughter and grandchild are okay.

I had preeclampsia caused by a very slight congenital kidney issue but I didn't get this bad. At 3lbs the baby is past being a micro-preemie and the way I understand it the steroids will speed up lung development in the baby.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:yeah: Remember, in a pinch they can do a Cesarian - less stress on both mom and baby. If they do that, it might be wise for your daughter to ask them to tie her tubes at the same time (though I don't know that doctors would be willing to do the two procedures together - there may be medical reasons why it would be a bad idea).

Also, TCS is a good place to vent about things like this. We have a lot of caring people here, from all over the world, and many of us have had similar experiences or happen to be in medical professions.

Not only should you vent all you want, we would greatly appreciate being kept in the loop. Please let us know how things go.

:hugs: :grouphug2: :alright:

Margret

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your daughter and baby are in my thoughts,so are you, hope everyone is ok they can do wonders now with premature babies :alright:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Ask a social worker at the hospital if any volunteers are available to assist you visiting your daughter. Sometimes livery service operators will do this. You may even find Lyft in your area is affordable
✨ Wishing the best outcome for your daughter 🙏

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone! I will post updates when I can. I am getting ready to visit her now.

it might be wise for your daughter to ask them to tie her tubes at the same time (though I don't know that doctors would be willing to do the two procedures together - there may be medical reasons why it would be a bad idea).
She and I have talked about it. This is definitely the only one she is having!

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best of luck, my sister had preeclampsia with her youngest, he was one pound 11 ounces when born 3 months early. Thankfully he is a strapping nineteen year old today. Just remember to try and take it one day at a time of possible, your daughter sounds like she has experienced doctors and nurses taking care of her and the baby, as stated by others medicine has advanced since my nephew was born in 2001.