Need Cat Advice

potts7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a cat question and this forum seemed like a good place to post it. I am basically a cat novice. I had one as a kid, so I know what it is like to have one, but not much knowledge beyond that.

I am thinking about getting another one. I am now a single adult living alone and working full time, usually 4 ten-hour days per/week. As such, the cat would have to be OK with being alone for most of the day for at least four days of the week. I leave the house around 6:30 a.m. and am back around 6:00 p.m. Weekend would be a different story. I would be around more.

My impression of cats is that they are basically OK with being alone, at least more so than a dog, yet maybe that is a myth? Also, I know that there are probably difference between breeds in this regard. Basically, I don’t want to be unfair to cat by bringing it here to live if is going to be miserable and lonely. So … thoughts?

My preferences would be something with shorter hair. Something with some personality would be nice too. And I am not afraid to pay a little money to get the right breed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cats, just like dogs, do get lonely and I've found that most cats like someone their own kind to play with and keep themselves amused when you are not home. My only suggestion would be the get one the opposite sex of the one you have, I have bengals so I can't speak for other breeds but I would think the transition from one cat to two would go smoother if its the opposite sex.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten with only one family member that works long hours is going to be bored and find stuff to mess with. Your toilet paper rolls will be unrolled, stuff will be knocked from counters and cords will be chewed on. They do a lot of that stuff anyway, but without anyone around it will be a bit more. You might want to look into an adult cat that is used to not doing terribly much and has lost its human. Or you could get two kittens so they have a playmate -- less bored, only somewhat more messes than one kitten. All that said, people do get solo kittens in your situation. Its not the nicest thing for the kitten, but cats are pretty adaptable.

As far as breed goes I'm not an expert, but it sure seems like breed behavior is more variable than with dogs. There might be tendencies on average, and it makes sense to look at them if you want a purebred, but its not enough to fuss with imho if you don't want a particular look of cat. You might get a better personality match if you go to a shelter and pick a kitten that you fall for. I hear the giant breeds and the long hair breeds are more likely to be chill, whereas something like an Abyssinian or a Bengal might be a disaster in your situation, but they are still cats so who knows?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: How exciting to be planning a kitty adoption! :petcat:

With your work schedule an older cat might be better. Or maybe 2 kittens from the same litter.

Cats are pretty adaptive though, so as long as you leave it in a kitten-proofed room, with food, water, litter box and toys, it would probably be fine that long by itself. But be prepared for lots of playing and cuddling when you get home!:catlove:

Since this will be your first time as a cat "parent", rather than "sibling", I'll post links to some of the TCS first time cat owner articles. We also have an article section on Cat Breeds | TheCatSite

A Kitten Or An Older Cat - Which Should You Adopt?
Where To Find A Kitten
15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?
First-time Cat Owner's Guide

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An only cat would be OK but I tend to think cats are better paired off. Please get well socialized kittens, it makes a difference I swear. If you get an adult make sure they were well socialized. Also if you get an Adult make sure they are not cat aggressive. If you get two kittens get 2 boys or 1 boy & 1 girl. Even sisters sometimes are not open to sharing the throne.

Personally I would recommend short hair mixed breed because less grooming/care required. Also a Bengal is _not_ for beginners. Siamese are adorable but have lots of energy & are troublesome when bored. If you want a long haired cat a Maine Coon may be for you. They generally are easy going cats & seem to be a very laid back breed.

I have said it before "I have never had a bad grey tabby" though ironically my peach tabby is an angel & my grey/white tabby is a love-able punk ;) So maybe I should chane it to "I have never had a bad tabby" ?

Other than that my advice is to set the boundaries for what you want your cats to do for 20 years. Yes that kitten is so cute gnawing on your finger but do you want an adult cat biting you? If not you need to train them toys not hands. Do you want your cat climbing you and tasting your food from your plate? If not gently correct them from the get go & do not feed them people food during meal times. Do you want them waking you up every night for 20 years? If not train them to let you sleep.

Honestly kittens are pain to train (like any 2 year old.) A first time owner might do better adopting a love-able house cat that lost their owner. However kittens are hard to resist. A good shelter can help guide you to the right cats. They may already have a bonded adult pair looking for a home, with zero issues. Your vet (or the one you choose) may also know of some healthy kittens looking for homes.

Maine Coon Cat Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts
Team Cat Rescue