Need Advice Stat. Misha, My 2yr Old, Peed What Seemed Like A Gallon Of Urine On Our Couch.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And I can't get the smell out. The peeing on the couch was all my fault. This is not a territorial situation or some habit she's developed. She was blocked from the litter boxes. It was a freak thing where both doors to their 2 separate litter stations were accidentally closed. It was a windy day and with screens in the windows the wind blew the doors shut. I was doing a million different things and didn't catch it until it was too late, and that's when I saw what looked like a major spill on the couch. I had a bad feeling about it and smelled it and it was of course urine.

I've put our 3 cats upstairs in our master bedroom with food and a litter box all afternoon I've been trying everything to get the urine out. I used an entire bottle of Kids n Pets enzyme urine remover. At the moment, the smell is a lot less, about 60% less, but it's nowhere near gone. Is there anything else I can use? This is a MAJOR accident. It got all over 2 cushions and the part of the couch the cushions sit on.

I don't want to throw this couch out, but I don't know if this is fixable. Is it fixable? Is one bottle not enough sometimes? Is there a better product out there? Please advise! And I now know I have to keep the littler boxes out in the open, not inside a room with a door.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what other people would say but I have a rosemary plant outside. I boil some of it for 15 minutes, strain, cool, put into a spray bottle and spray onto the couch. All the way around. For a quick fix. It is a lot of urine so you might need to have it cleaned by a pro or use a steam cleaner with an extractor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I came home just now after going to the store to get Nature's Miracle, and when I smelled the couch I noticed a lot more of the smell had disappeared. I guess I needed to wait a little longer for the Kids N Pets to work.

I just sprayed the Nature's Miracle over everything. I'm hoping that between these 2 products success is right around the corner...If not then I'll get a steam cleaner. Thank you for your advice!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes one bottle isn't enough. You have to drench the cushions to make sure that it gets down as far as the urine did for it to actually work.

Ah, since I started my post, I see you've posted again and that things are starting to smell much better. Whew! That's good news!

There are only two other points to consider. First is that even when you can no longer smell any urine at all, your cat with her sensitive sense of smell may still be able to do so. It might be worth buying a black light - any traces of urine will show up so you can make sure you really did get rid of it all. They don't cost much and might turn out to be useful some day if she ever has another accident (heaven forbid.)

The other point is that pointing a fan at it will help it dry faster so that you can avoid that sour smell that some cushions can get when they've gotten wet.

Last edited:

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we just discovered that the foam inside the cushion covers are filled with urine from this accident, so we took the covers off, and are going to wash them in the enzyme cleaner, and we are tossing the foam inserts out. We're ordering new foam inserts as I write this, and we'll have them by Monday.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cushion covers survived the washing machine! Hooray! I didn't think they would. I soaked them overnight in the washer in one and a half bottles of Nature's Miracle and then this morning I dumped in a full bottle of hydrogen peroxide and laundry detergent and turned on the delicate wash cycle. They came out smelling fresh and clean.

The foam isn't arriving til Tuesday, but we're surviving. We're keeping the cats locked up, upstairs in a large guest bedroom with 2 giant windows, until this situation is fully resolved. I don't want to draw Misha's attention to that couch. I feel so bad for blocking her from her toilet. I'm sure she didn't want to pee on the couch like that.