Need Advice On How To Progress Cat Introduction! New Cat, 2 Resident Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, sorry that it's been a while! I wanted to see how the dynamic was playing out before I updated again.

So, after the vet trip, the boys were about the same. They all sniffed each other's carriers, then went about with their day. I think the vet gave them a sedative since they were pretty chill.

After that, I weaned Donatello off of the Clomicalm too, since his main beef is Cocoa using parts of the house when he wants them. Cocoa has been completely weaned off the medication for the past week too!

The biggest improvement is that Dunlop is tolerating Cocoa a lot more. I believe the Clomicalm helped during the early introductions to desensitize everyone to their presence. Now that they are off it, they all have a LOT more energy. Dunlop does not spend any time in the basement anymore! And Donatello is back to sleeping in my office chair and his usual haunts.

Dunlop mostly lets Cocoa walk beside him in the hallway, and lay on the floor as long as he's not moving fast. He also just uses clawless slaps and some staring to let Cocoa know he's not happy with him. We even witnessed them almost touch noses a few times, and he let Cocoa walk away!

Cocoa is a brave boy who basically doesn't care too much about the others now. He's more brave around Dunlop. If he sees Donatello, he usually leaves the area or jumps up high (where Don "allows" him to be). He still makes attempts to play with Dunlop, and it seems like our crabby tabby is softening towards him.

Donatello is still being a bit of an ass, but leaves Cocoa alone for the most part. He will meow/swishy tail at Cocoa to give him a warning, then will yowl and swat if he doesn't listen. Cocoa will dramatically meow back and run away, but nobody is hurt except for a bit of fur. Don does the same to Dunlop sometimes, but Dunlop has always been like "Ok bro, I'll leave, but you don't scare me" while Cocoa is a drama queen. Cocoa walks into the basement more now and looks out the windows, but he'll leave immediately if he sees Don. So, it seems like they've worked out an "I won't attack you if you just leave the room I'm in."

Everyone seems very happy, so we're leaving it be for now and hoping that things keep improving! I was worried we wouldn't get to this point when I first posted this thread in the winter. I'm going to keep hoping things get better.

I also just wanted to add: letting our boys work things out for themselves, rather than trying multiple re-introductions, seems to be working very well in our situation.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post another update and some pictures! Dunlop seems to care a lot less about Cocoa being around him. Cocoa has tried to play with him multiple times, and I could tell Dunlop was deciding if he should or not. Now, if Cocoa annoys him it’s a wet hiss rather than a full on attack!

This is Donatello. He isn’t Cocoa’s biggest fan still, but Cocoa doesn’t help himself by running away if he sees Don is not sleeping. Then he basically sits there like “yeah, that’s right, get lost you baby since I’m Alpha man.” He’s forceful, but if you follow his wishes he has no beef. We’re hoping Cocoa will get more of a backbone with him. There is hope - since he is hissing sometimes at Don before he scatters away. It took Dunlop and Don about a year to work out a solid respect system, now they’re brothers from different mothers.

Donatello has been extra crabby because of his IBD flaring up. He is on a special vet diet for it, but it doesn’t entirely stop them from happening. Because of this, he’s been crabbier with Dunlop. Dunlop doesn’t care though, he just respects Don’s feelings and walks away. Cocoa runs, which makes him unworthy of being a part of the pack in his little alpha brain haha.

Hopefully if Cocoa and Dunlop develop a better bond, it’ll make Donatello accept him as part of the herd!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. This is one of your most paws-itive posts yet. Sounds like things are finally getting better. Paws crossed that it continues. And that Donatello's IBD settles down. They're all gorgeous cats. Thanks for the pics, and the update.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update how it's going again, if anybody is still interested.

Things continue to get a bit better! Letting the boys work things out themselves is the best thing we've done. Donatello's IBD is calming down again, so he's being less crabby. Since it's Canadian summer and we don't have air conditioning, they're all kind-of melting in the heat. I've attached some pictures of the loafing that wouldn't have happened a few months ago! (And a bonus one of Cocoa's current favorite sleep spot - he loves to get into any cupboard for the privacy)

Cocoa and Dunlop are mostly okay now. If Cocoa runs and spooks him, or he's crabby, he'll let him know. But they can walk by each other. They will even sit on opposite sides of my plate and try to get my dinner at the same time lol. If Cocoa is too pushy, Dunlop will meow to tell him to back off. They have been meowing at each other with bettery body language, so I'm hoping things keep getting better. It seems like after they had that one proper fight, Dunlop respects him as an equal now which is awesome.

Donatello and Cocoa don't really interact much, which is fine. Cocoa will leave the room if Don comes in. Donatello gets an ego trip out of it. We do try to get Cocoa to be more assertive, but he is seriously the least confrentational cat I've ever known! If he does surprise Don, there will be some yowling with a bit of fur ripped out, but no injuries. It only happens once every few days now. We also found out that Cocoa is a bit of a drama queen. A few days ago, Don just jumped off the couch and casually started walking in Cocoa's direction. Cocoa looked at us, yowled dramatically, like he was getting the fluff beaten out of him, and ran away. Don does tolerate Cocoa playing in the room and stuff. I feel like we need to wait and help keep building up Cocoa's confidence, so he can assert himself with Don one day. As it stands right now, he's got no issues growling to tell Don to back off, but he hates any physical posturing. And, like in the pictures I posted, he is tolerating Cocoa near him as long as he's not moving, which is good!

Since Cocoa is a siamese tabby mix, he's definitely vocal and always up to something! Half the time, we think the boys get annoyed at his constant meowing and it's part of the problem lol. I try to play with him lots, but he does like to just meow and hear his own voice for fifteen minutes straight.

Attachments

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update how it's going again, if anybody is still interested.

Things continue to get a bit better! Letting the boys work things out themselves is the best thing we've done. Donatello's IBD is calming down again, so he's being less crabby. Since it's Canadian summer and we don't have air conditioning, they're all kind-of melting in the heat. I've attached some pictures of the loafing that wouldn't have happened a few months ago! (And a bonus one of Cocoa's current favorite sleep spot - he loves to get into any cupboard for the privacy)

Cocoa and Dunlop are mostly okay now. If Cocoa runs and spooks him, or he's crabby, he'll let him know. But they can walk by each other. They will even sit on opposite sides of my plate and try to get my dinner at the same time lol. If Cocoa is too pushy, Dunlop will meow to tell him to back off. They have been meowing at each other with bettery body language, so I'm hoping things keep getting better. It seems like after they had that one proper fight, Dunlop respects him as an equal now which is awesome.

Donatello and Cocoa don't really interact much, which is fine. Cocoa will leave the room if Don comes in. Donatello gets an ego trip out of it. We do try to get Cocoa to be more assertive, but he is seriously the least confrentational cat I've ever known! If he does surprise Don, there will be some yowling with a bit of fur ripped out, but no injuries. It only happens once every few days now. We also found out that Cocoa is a bit of a drama queen. A few days ago, Don just jumped off the couch and casually started walking in Cocoa's direction. Cocoa looked at us, yowled dramatically, like he was getting the fluff beaten out of him, and ran away. Don does tolerate Cocoa playing in the room and stuff. I feel like we need to wait and help keep building up Cocoa's confidence, so he can assert himself with Don one day. As it stands right now, he's got no issues growling to tell Don to back off, but he hates any physical posturing. And, like in the pictures I posted, he is tolerating Cocoa near him as long as he's not moving, which is good!

Since Cocoa is a siamese tabby mix, he's definitely vocal and always up to something! Half the time, we think the boys get annoyed at his constant meowing and it's part of the problem lol. I try to play with him lots, but he does like to just meow and hear his own voice for fifteen minutes straight.
Hello:
Your 3 boys sound like my 3 girls. As a matter of fact my Button is a black short hair like your Donatello. She is also the one that has the attitude towards the new stray that decided to stay, Lucky Kitty. It has been 9 months and Maggie my Tortie and the Alpha is doing much better with LK. She has her moments, especially when she gets hungry, but overall she has been more accepting of LK. Button doesn't actually attack or fight with LK but she loves to hiss and growl whoever LK is in sight. Then she slinks away with an attitude. She avoids LK at all costs. What is really funny, is LK will sleep all over the house, wherever she feels like it, but if she sleeps on one of Buttons beds or pillows, Button refuses to sleep there again. She finds another spot to sleep. It's kind of sad because LK just wants to be friends but the 2 Residents just don't want to share. Guess they have been alone together too long to make an easy friendly adjustment. It has gotten better, as long as Button has her space. She is the middle child so maybe she is just asserting herself with the 'new' one. LK is usually very respectful of Button but sometimes she has just had enough and will hiss and growl back and stand her ground. Then they have the stare down. Sometimes Button leaves first and sometimes LK will leave first. At any rate, they are adorable and entertaining and I love them all.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Things sound good! Thanks for the update. I love the cabinet photo.
My Mooshoo has been standing up to Waffles much more as time goes on, so it does happen. If he approaches to make her leave a spot, she stays put and her ears go back, she stares, will hiss some, and a growl if needed. Waffles observes that and doesn't swat her, as if "okay I'll leave you be." If Waffles decides to force the issue she will back down, but more often it's Waffles that backs down now. Except at night on the bed, Moo always backs down right away. Thankfully. So they don't wake me up. :banana1:

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we are almost at 18 months introducing two kittens to two older cats, and still see improvements all the time. the older cats even are randomly playing with the little ones. never in a million years would I have thought that would happen! you'll probably keep seeing progress even months from now. here's my scary little babies, looks like the twins from that horror movie!
IMG_2599 (3).JPG

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just FYI, I have 2 cats that have taken over a year to get used to each other! A dominant Tux girl and a dominant Siamese boy! I had the Siamese first so he got to sleep with me (she doesn't care to sleep with me) and I let the Tux roam the rest of the house at night. It's been a slow process and it took 6 months before they could be together all the time. They are just now beginning to play with each other.

Keep doing what you are doing!

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for your replies! For some reason I didn't get a notification that the thread had replies so I'm sorry for not seeing them until now.

Just wanted to post another monthly update:

Cocoa is getting braver, which is mostly good. We had one minor incident where he tried to stand up to Dunlop, but didn't fight Dunlop when he swatted. So Dunlop, all hot and bothered, decided to pick a fight with Donatello. (This was before breakfast time so lots of hanger going on). Other than that, he seems happy and healthy! He's doing lots of wet "my territory back off" hisses to Donatello, so Don is respecting his territory a bit more.

More progress with Cocoa and Dunlop. They have a mutual love for table food, so they'll sit on opposite ends of the table and beg for food like pizza. Dunlop tolerates this no problem. He's also sat and watched Cocoa play without aggression!

Donatello is still a bit of a crabby boy. He's been kicking Dunlop off the bed and stuff sometimes. It's his IBD, he had another vet check and is in good health aside from that. So Cocoa just steers clear. He's not trying to stand up to Don, or fight him except for a growl and hiss, so I'm still working on building up confidence with play and attention. I move Donatello when I see that he's trying to block Cocoa's access to a certain part of the house. He forgets that he was being a bully as soon as I move him, so things are improving! I remember back in February when they'd stalk and trap him under stuff almost all the time.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems I spoke a bit too soon. Cocoa had a claw stuck by his butt. We removed it and there just appears to be a scab, is there anything else we can do tonight? I’m calling the vet tomorrow for advice too about if we need to do extra treatment. Don’t know how long it’s been there but I’m guessing it’s from the fight yesterday.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no. Sorry, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe post a new thread in the health forum. Cat Health
Thanks! He’s fine, and the vet said we had nothing to worry about but just to watch it. Cocoa and Dunlop ate a teeny bit of ice cream cake side by side last night with no issues. They’re like a bunch of bratty toddlers and I’ll probably never understand how their minds work lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad he's ok. It's a worry for you, for sure, dealing with your feline family. :alright: