Need Advice On How To Progress Cat Introduction! New Cat, 2 Resident Cats

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! This has been such a process haha. It'll be interesting to see if Dunlop's behavior gets worse as we wean him off the old medication over the next few weeks, or if it improves. He's definitely knocked a tiny bit of Cocoa's confidence this week, so keeping an eye on all cats.
Fingers crossed that nothing major happens as Dunlop is weaned off the old medication. :crossfingers:

I am hoping Maggie and Button will come to accept LK. I had 3 nights and 3 days before a confrontation.
lovemall lovemall : Just wanted to welcome you to TCS. If you'd like to "formally" introduce yourself and your cats, we have a New Cats on the Block forum.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed that nothing major happens as Dunlop is weaned off the old medication. :crossfingers:

lovemall lovemall : Just wanted to welcome you to TCS. If you'd like to "formally" introduce yourself and your cats, we have a New Cats on the Block forum.
Thank you Rubysmama. I don't quite know how things are done here but I will introduce myself and my girls. I was just internet surfing to help me find information about how to introduce LK the stray, to my 2 residents. I didn't mean to impose my issues on anyone but have found this site to be helpful. I am always interested in learning new things about our girls even though we have had them for 9 and 10 years and now a year old stray.;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lovemall lovemall : No worries. You're doing fine, here. If you would like to get replies specifically on your situation with your girls, do feel free to start your own thread here in the Cat Behavior forum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update: Dunlop is taking the Clomicalm weaning really well so far. We knew it was making him a bit sleepy, so his energy level is perked up more and he's started waking us up for food again. Cocoa seems to sense the change too. There were two altercations over the past week, not sure what about, where Dunlop had some redirected aggression with Don. But mostly, he's been alright. Cocoa has even tried to engage play with him a few times, and Dunlop either walks away or chases him back into the kitchen.

Cocoa's more scared of Don, who we know is a bit of a territorial douchebag. He gets hangry with him. For example, the other day I was reorganizing the closet in our spare bedroom. Don was in there, and Cocoa wanted to see what was up. Every time Cocoa would enter the room, Don would meow, hiss, and chase him back into the kitchen. I just let them do their thing because they have to set boundaries.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sharing cat intro on my 3. I think Button likes to stalk LK. She does the crouching sneaking behavior looking for LK and then when she finds her, she growls and squeals like its all out war but she does' t attack. Don't really understand it so I watch out of the corner of my eye when LK is in the same area and Button goes into her stalking behavior. I then distract her but she is really hard to distract and she has no interest in playing. Trying to figure out what is so threatening to Button that she has to protect something. LK doesn't invade her beds or her cat trees. The only thing I can think of space. Button must think everything belongs to her so the only thing I can do is give them time and intervene when I see the stalking. Maggie has her moments when she does't seem to care and then those moments when she thinks she has to warn LK that she is boss. We are down to one confrontation a day but I think that is because I am able to intervene before anything happens. Does get a little weary at times. Luckily no peeing or spraying problems and no fur or blood flying. But again it may be because I intervene. I am retired so I have more time than many others. One good thing is no confrontations at night. So far so good.

How are the setting boundaries going. The combat zones for Button seem to be where I am not available. I think Button knows I will break it up so she does her warnings away from me. One day at a time I guess.

Hope yours are doing better.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sharing cat intro on my 3. I think Button likes to stalk LK. She does the crouching sneaking behavior looking for LK and then when she finds her, she growls and squeals like its all out war but she does' t attack. Don't really understand it so I watch out of the corner of my eye when LK is in the same area and Button goes into her stalking behavior. I then distract her but she is really hard to distract and she has no interest in playing. Trying to figure out what is so threatening to Button that she has to protect something. LK doesn't invade her beds or her cat trees. The only thing I can think of space. Button must think everything belongs to her so the only thing I can do is give them time and intervene when I see the stalking. Maggie has her moments when she does't seem to care and then those moments when she thinks she has to warn LK that she is boss. We are down to one confrontation a day but I think that is because I am able to intervene before anything happens. Does get a little weary at times. Luckily no peeing or spraying problems and no fur or blood flying. But again it may be because I intervene. I am retired so I have more time than many others. One good thing is no confrontations at night. So far so good.

How are the setting boundaries going. The combat zones for Button seem to be where I am not available. I think Button knows I will break it up so she does her warnings away from me. One day at a time I guess.

Hope yours are doing better.
Definitely, and it sounds like they are making progress! Sometimes you just have to let them cat it out.

Dunlop is quite happy and he's almost weaned off the clomicalm. I have the Prozac on hand, but we're going to wait for a bit to see if we need it. Most of the time he's just avoided Cocoa. There was one little spat when Cocoa jumped on the table while Dunlop was there, scaring him, but nothing too crazy.

Donatello is still being a territorial alpha. I know he's blocking access to me a lot of the times when he follows me around, but not much I can do about that. Giving Cocoa lots of attention.

I know there's been a few litterbox incidents (fur tufts), but nothing too traumatizing and no accidents. Again, just letting them cat. When the boys are sleeping, Cocoa will walk around the house, sleep by me, etc.

Interestingly, Cocoa is also turning out to be a bit of a drama queen. If Don walks towards him and they're not in the kitchen, even if there's no physical contact, Cocoa will look at us, yowl dramatically like he's being beaten to death, and runs away.

While there's obviously some bullying happening, we're still letting it play out. Cocoa basically owns the kitchen and can access the rest of the house when the boys are sleepy or relaxed, so they have to figure out something that works good for them.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Territorial Alpha is a good term. That may be what Button is all about. So glad to hear yours are working things out. I know what you mean when you say Cocoa looks to you. LK does that when she thinks Maggie or Button gets too close. She doesn't squeal though. But she is a smart kitty and knows she is safe if I am around. Luckily, the intervention has become quite simple. All I do anymore is simply step between them. The good progress is that all three sleep in the bedroom with my husband and me. Maggie and Button get the cat tree and our bed and LK gets her cat bed on my vanity. No night fights or growls or confrontations. They also all three will follow me around when I am outside walking around or in the barn. LK does know her place but I always let her know she is welcome to come along. Sometime I will walk around just so they will follow me and accept each other. They actually do quite well. Confrontations are less and less. Maybe a warning every couple days. Mainly residents still giving warnings.
Also glad to hear Dunlop is almost off the meds. Can't be easy giving meds. Bottom line......long term commitment with tons of patience and love. Sounds like we are doing it though. So happy to hear of your successes.:redheartpump::heartshape::yess:
Look forward to your successes!!!!

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Introducing kitties is no easy task but so rewarding when we get it done. Thanks for your support.:yess:Time and patience and love.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news: Dunlop is off the medication, and he's pretty happy and chatty again.

Bad news: Cocoa accidentally broke a pane of glass in our dining room hutch. I wasn't home, but my husband said 5 minutes after that, Dunlop came upstairs and tried to beat the fluff out of Cocoa. It was really sad to see after they've been tolerating each other better. Definitely a bit of misdirected aggression. The back of Dunlop's neck was kinda wet, so Cocoa got a few punches in too at least. I spent time with them, and now they're "normal" with each other with no fights.

Donatello is having another IBD flareup and being a jerk to Cocoa as a result. He's been jumping into Cocoa's territory more, or jumping behind him, meowing, and swatting some fluff. It's nothing too bad, but he seems to just get some kind of sadistic joy out of making Cocoa run. But still, he'll let Cocoa eat his leftovers with NO problem, just sit there a foot away from him and watch.

We've been trying lots of play therapy to increase Cocoa's confidence, but he's such a submissive cat that he runs whenever the other two make an aggressive move towards him. (Play in a room with the door shut, so no chance of attacks etc) We feel like we're stuck in this weird purgatory. They obviously don't love him, but they aren't putting him in danger either. It's not a great life for Cocoa long term (even though he's happy now), but we also really love him and just want this to work.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good news: Dunlop is off the medication, and he's pretty happy and chatty again.
That is good news. :clap2:

Bad news: Cocoa accidentally broke a pane of glass in our dining room hutch.
Oh no! How did Cocoa ever do that? No cuts, I hope.

5 minutes after that, Dunlop came upstairs and tried to beat the fluff out of Cocoa.
Poor Cocoa. :(

but we also really love him and just want this to work
I've never had more than one cat at a time, so have no idea how hard it must be to love all your cats, and have them not get along. :sigh:

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
radarlove:
Our homes sound very similar. Our two residents at times seem to tolerate LK and then they will turn around and fffffttttt at her. They will all eat 2 to 3 feet from each other with no aggravation. But if LK is outside and wants to come in, the Residents growl and ffftttt as LK passes them to come in. Granted.....it is getting better but still have moments of confrontations. And we are like you, we really love LK and want things to work. I think it helps spending time with each of them so they feel special. LK will still not sit in my lap but doesn't mind at all if I carry her walking around. She follows me when I go out to the barn to care for the horses and is more than happy to come in when I do. Both Residents seem to have to remind LK who the bosses are. :alright:I think LK just wants to be friends but not so the Residents. Maybe age has something to do with it. LK is around a year and the two Residents are 9 and 10. Oh well, we are not giving up and it doesn't sound like you are either. Hope your 2 Residents become more loving too.:purr::redheartpump::hearthrob:

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've never had more than one cat at a time, so have no idea how hard it must be to love all your cats, and have them not get along. :sigh:
Rubysmama: how do you highlight certain comments to respond to?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rubysmama: how do you highlight certain comments to respond to?
Just highlight the comments you want to quote, and the option to "quote" or "reply" will pop up. Hit quote and it will be stored in memory. Then highlight any other comments and do the same. When you are ready to reply, "insert quotes" will be on the reply screen. Click that and hit "quote these messages". You also have the option to "remove" any you no longer want to quote. Hope that makes sense.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Cocoa isn't that graceful when he jumps, so sometimes his back paw catches the edge of the door and it swings open. This time, it really caught the door which made it wobble, so the pane of glass just slid down and onto the floor. Thankfully nobody was injured, since he jumped on the table and not the floor!

True to Dunlop's nature, after their fight on Sunday he's actually been happier and more chill around Cocoa. For the first time since we got Cocoa, he actually had his solo race-around time in the house. He's also been super affectionate and loving. Cocoa is sensing this and will follow Dunlop around from above, trying to swat and play with him. So far Dunlop just ignores him. He did allow Cocoa to run by him on the floor while he was chasing a toy, so hopefully things progress a bit! If he's true to form, they'll have one more fight and then they'll be buds (haha).

Donatello is still the "bad guy," but we've been consistently disciplining him when he's being a jerk. (Basically scruffing right after the action, saying NO, and removing him from the kitchen). Maybe if Dunlop would finally accept Cocoa, Don would get less offended at his presence too.

(Apparently our residents are bros and hate pacifism haha)

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
radarlove:
Our homes sound very similar. Our two residents at times seem to tolerate LK and then they will turn around and fffffttttt at her. They will all eat 2 to 3 feet from each other with no aggravation. But if LK is outside and wants to come in, the Residents growl and ffftttt as LK passes them to come in. Granted.....it is getting better but still have moments of confrontations. And we are like you, we really love LK and want things to work. I think it helps spending time with each of them so they feel special. LK will still not sit in my lap but doesn't mind at all if I carry her walking around. She follows me when I go out to the barn to care for the horses and is more than happy to come in when I do. Both Residents seem to have to remind LK who the bosses are. :alright:I think LK just wants to be friends but not so the Residents. Maybe age has something to do with it. LK is around a year and the two Residents are 9 and 10. Oh well, we are not giving up and it doesn't sound like you are either. Hope your 2 Residents become more loving too.:purr::redheartpump::hearthrob:
It seems like you're on the right track, and just keep doing what you're doing :)

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed that both scenarios occur. :crossfingers: :catrub:
For sure! It’s been a bit better too! Dunlop is tolerating Cocoa on the floor by him as long as he’s not moving. If he feels like Cocoa is invading territory, he stared and gives him time to get away rather than immediately attacking. Not ideal, but way better than before!

Donatello is still being more forceful, but has his moments where he also doesn’t care if Cocoa sits on the floor for a bit.