Need advice on how to get my girl to stop making herself bleed?

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I recently noticed my semi feral girl had a decent sized bloody spot on her face. To be honest I panicked at first. I can't handle her so it was difficult to get a good look and all I saw was blood. I got her to the vet and he said it was a granuloma of some sort and he gave her a steroid injection as well as an antibiotic injection which he said would last 3 weeks so it should be in effect until next week. It actually healed up and her scab came off but now she is scratching at that spot again and starting to bleed. Does anyone have any experience with this? There is no possible way she would tolerate a collar but I have no idea how to get her to stop. Thank you

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That’s going to be tough. I would take a picture and ask your vet. Where on the face is it located? Did the vet say it was eosinophilia granuloma complex?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do believe that is what he called it. He said it is not necessarily serious but some cats are prone to it? Its directly under her ear like on that spot where they don't have much hair and then it goes down her face a bit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not all meds work the same way on all cats, so while the vet told you three weeks, they may wear off faster than that for her. I would have the vet take a skin scraping for analysis to see if that would help determine the possible sources. If you don't remove the source, this could be an ongoing issue. At least ask your vet if this might be a good option.

Here are a couple of articles on granulomas that might help you come up with some potential 'culprits'.
Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
What to Know About Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex in Cats (webmd.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the article and that is a good point and a good suggestion. This is new territory for me so I appreciate the feedback