Need Advice/moral Support For Our Rescue

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and also a brand new pet rescue mom to a sweet orange tabby baby girl. My son and I was driving down a very high speed busy 4 lane highway when we came across her. This fearless yet terrified little nugget was desperately trying to cross the highway and we were able to stop just in time to avoid hitting her. We immediately pulled off the side and I picked her up huddled and shivering in fear and bleeding from her mouth. Scared to death for this poor baby, we high-tailed it to the local vet that we use for our Bassett hound so that we could get her treated and hopefully they could get her adopted out.

So we get to the vet, and they are already overwhelmed because it is kitten season and there's apparently 30 kittens in the back that they are already trying to find homes for with several new ones having been brought in earlier. They take her to the back to give her a brief look because of the her injuries to see if she could be saved. In addition to bleeding from her mouth, she was bleeding from her rectum which I didn't even realize. At this point I'm crying and filling out surrender paperwork for a kitten that's not even mine. The receptionist and vet tech are top notch supportive and super kind.

So another vet tech comes out and tells me that the bleeding mouth is from cuts or possibly getting clipped but that they will have to do a thorough check to see what is going on with her bottom and make sure she is stable. I asked if I could tell her goodbye, while continuing to sniffle and tear up and they bring her back out. She curled up in my arms and I'm loving on her and I hear the vet tech say, "you know it's not too late to tear up those forms." Every reason I can't keep her is running through my head at the speed of light (no experience with cats, I'm a dog person, my husband will kill me, huge vet bill...did I mention no experience when it comes to cats?!?!), but my son looks at me and says "it's up to you, but we can do this", and I tell them to tear up the forms.

Boom! I'm a cat mom. Holy crap.

The vet checks her out head to tail. Her hiney is road rash with a possible previous secondary injury, her mouth is superficial cuts. She's de-wormed, vaccinated, given Clavamox to fight any infections. She was covered in fleas so she was given Revolution.Oh and it's a girl, which I was thrilled about. In 3 weeks we take her back for follow up, more vaccinations and maybe more de-wormer. While she tested negative for worms, they did have to remove maggots from her bottom and clean the wound.

So, here I am two days later with a kitten named Miracle (Miry for short). She weighs 2.69 pounds. I'm not sure how old she is, but she eats Fancy Feast canned kitten food 3 times a day, with Purina Kitten chow kibble left out for snack between meals. She's eating great. I change her water 3 times a day. She took to her litter box like an all star and I clean it daily. Her bottom is raw, but I'm vigilant watching her bowel movements and helping her try to stay as clean as a kitty booty can. I give her the antibiotics faithfully. I bought toys to keep her occupied and a pop up bed that she never uses. She's very playful, super sweet, and we are carefully introducing her to Chloe. Miry is indifferent, very relaxed, but Chloe just wants to play with her and doesn't know how, so we are keeping Miry in our bedroom with supervised visits from Chloe until Miry gets bigger. In 2-3 months Miry will be spayed and she's also going to be an indoor kitty.

So, am I on the right track to being a good kitten mom? Is there anything I'm missing or could do better about? I want to make sure that she's happy and getting the best care from our family, because if I'm going to commit to this little nugget, I want to do it right.

I'm also attaching pics so if anyone has an accurate guess on how old Miry is, I'd appreciate it. I'm having to feed her at this time based on her weight, but I want to make sure she's not spayed too early or too late.

Thank you all for your time and kind attention to my long post. Miry and I both appreciate any and all advice.

Attachments

kar5318

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a great story. I am definitely a cat person, we have 2 of our own, but first time rescuer (we are currently fostering 3 kittens I found in our backyard) and am learning right alongside you!

It sounds like you're doing fantastic! I'm sure you saved Miry's life by picking her up off the side of the road. Sounds like she just needs lots of love and she'll be your best buddy in no time. :)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you're on your way to success. She's a lucky, lucky kitten.

The only advice I have is to make sure, until she's older, that you use non-clumping litter. Kittens, like humans toddlers, tend to taste everything and clumping litter can cause tummy troubles for them.

You've been chosen by a Miracle. Congratulations!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrific story. It appears you are doing everything correctly. Miry looks to be around 5-6 weeks from the pictures.

On a side note, I found a great (although loud) new cat toy. An empty water bottle (16 oz) with 4 pennies in it. Put the lid back on of course. My kittens have not stopped playing with this for 3 days.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
"did I mention no experience when it comes to cats?"

No experience necessary, just lots of love and kindness which it sounds like you are chock-full of. And of course a little bit of common sense.

"Ummm...honey, I can explain. Really."

If he has half the heart you do, it won't take much explaining.

You and your son are awesome people and I would guess your husband as well. I hope for a speedy recovery for your new addition and wishing you and your family the very best.

I guess one of us cat people should warn you (a dog person) "Cats rule dogs drool" :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. She really is a sweetheart. She doesn't quite require around the clock care, but she does enjoy playing with her jingle ball at 2am. She's way more active today and I was awoken at 5am by a friendly boop on my nose and her peering at me with interest right next to my face. She also thinks herself quite the hunter, as she attacks feet and toes with fervor from under my bed.

It's so funny because my neighbor across the street always tried to give me a kitten (his cats multiply frequently every year), and while I've always thought them beautiful and super amazing, I've always just been an admirer. No real interactions with them in over 20 years.

I can't imagine life without little Miry, though, even though it's only been a couple of days. She's definitely wrapped herself around my heart. As for my husband, he comes off as a rugged tough guy, but Miry wasn't impressed so she curled up in his lap and went to sleep. It's safe to say she's found a home for life!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful wonderful story. Thank you so much for rescuing her. It is certainly not hard for them to worm their way right into your heart.

Are you planning on making her an indoor only kitty? Please make sure to get her spayed as soon as she is big enough and strong enough. Inside is always best as there are so many dangers outside.

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi shadowrescue. Miry's only option is to be an indoor kitty! I know a lot of people keep their kitties in and out, or completely outside; but I'd be worried to death; especially because we have bears and other wildlife in our neck of the woods that could potentially injure her then I think of cars (especially because she was on a major highway when she was found) and all the other dangers...nope she's strictly indoors. She deserves a pampered feline princess lifestyle.

She will be spayed and microchipped.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Miry-Mom Miry-Mom , welcome to TCS :wave3: and you've come to the right place and bless your heart for taking Miry and giving her a fur-ever loving home IMG_2706.GIF

When I was reading your story and I came to the part about tearing up the papers, in my heart says please tear it up and as I went down the lines, you tore it up IMG_2767.GIF I'm so relieve.

There are many things to cat cat ownership, but what you've been doing so far is very good and we don't want to overwhelm you with too much details.

Just feel free to ask questions as you go along and you'll have your questions answered as this is a caring community.

In the meanwhile, have your house cat safe, keep away medications, toxic cleaning chemical, flowers especially Lilies and some plants are toxic, no human food (some are toxic esp garlic and many more) keep her indoors and most of all, love her much.

Oh, BTW, she's beautiful IMG_2729.GIF IMG_2750.GIF

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have spent the entire day reading on this forum and I'm so glad to be here! I'm also extremely grateful because there is tons of information and heartwarming stories and valuable insight that is absolutely priceless. Thank you for having me!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Miry-Mom Miry-Mom

"I'm also extremely grateful because there is tons of information and heartwarming stories and valuable insight that is absolutely priceless. Thank you for having me!"

I am grateful that you and your son rescued the little kitty off the side of the highway. I would imagine every single member on this site is grateful that you rescued Miry.

" son looks at me and says "it's up to you, but we can do this" "
That is one heck of a good kid you got. You must be extremely proud of him, I know I am.

Make sure you post more photos, people on this site love to see kitty photos.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I relate to your story. Years ago I was a "dog person" I had two big dogs and trained dogs for a living. I had never given a thought to cats until, I got skin cancer and could not go out with the dogs at the shelter so, the cat volunteers convinced me to help with the kittens. one of who "chose" me. I wasn't sure at the time why but, I took that little guy home.Shortly after I brought him a friend.
You seem to be doing everything right. When she is finally out and about the house get her a tall cat tree, that way if the dog overwhelms her she can climb up high, feel safe and observe and get to know the dog. You might also have to feed her on the cat tree. Dogs are notorious food thieves. Enjoy Miry!

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm checking in to give a Miry update. Her face is almost completely healed! Her kitten booty also is looking so much better! My bedroom is still her safe place as she continues to heal, but soon we will be bringing her out to explore the living room and dining room at her leisure. Our dog, Chloe, continues to visit under strict supervision and it's working out quite well. Miry seems amused by Chloe's antics, but could rather care less that she's there, while Chloe just wants to sniff Miry and entice her to play.

Miry's is scheduled for follow up at our vet on the 24th of this month and it will be at that visit that we will get her on the schedule for her spay.

Miry's vet actually gave her a guesstimate age of 13 weeks because even though she was 2.69 pounds she was very bony and on the underfed side. She is eating very well and quite enjoys her Fancy Feast kitten meals of Turkey and ocean whitefish. I've been putting a wee bit of hot water in them for more hydration and a better gravy consistency and to warm it up a bit.

She's extremely playful and super loving. I make sure that everyone in our family let's Miry dictate the lovies and snuggles. I honestly expected more aggression from her or shying away from us, but it's apparent that at one point she was exposed to humans. It saddens me to think that more than likely someone threw this sweet baby away like trash once they tired of her. Their "loss" is our gain though.

At this moment Miry is stretched out on the bed with her cute kitten belly showing and laying on her side beside me as I write this update. I think she knows that with me standing watch that it's safe and the only time she really gets annoyed is when I give her the antibiotics, but even then she doesn't really put up a fuss. Watching me sweep her litter off our bathroom floor that she kicks out of her box seems to be a special entertainment; or maybe she's just happy that someone's willing to go those lengths for her.

What can I say... I, a professed puppy mom, now live for the kitty boops. I think that's her way of saying, "I love you too, weird human."
0707171237a-1.jpg
0707171237-1.jpg

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize how much she looks like my little Onsa.
There's something about orange cats.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
"Watching me sweep her litter off our bathroom floor that she kicks out of her box seems to be a special entertainment; or maybe she's just happy that someone's willing to go those lengths for her."

When I trapped the two feral kittens I socialized I had them in a safe room. Within the safe room was a closet which I left the door open a bit so they could run to it when I came in the room. The two of them would sit in the closet peering out at me while I cleaned the litter. I figured they were just wondering what the crazy human was doing with their poop. As if to think "Look Kitty he is harvesting our poop, I wonder how much he gets for it?" :)

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you are a stellar cat mom. I also think Miry is going to be a big cat.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is so beautiful, I have a special place in my heart for orange cats. She is so lucky to have found you. All of my cats were red boys and girls and I miss them so much.

Muffy

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An evening update:

The Magnificent Miry continues to maintain her awesome-sauce status. I was worried about her earlier as her eating hasn't been as stellar as when we first began. She's still a bit bony, so of course I want to make sure she's gaining weight and never had to worry about being hungry again. Apparently I was worried for nothing because she's eaten better this evening and the little stinker decided my bedtime is her playtime. I'm ok with that. :woohoo:

Miry is now the proud owner of a kitty ramp to play on and she loves it. We also grabbed a pet laser pointer and she's quite the warrior kitten stalking and catching the evil red dot. I'd like to get her a nice cat tree for the living room, but I'm going to wait until her next vet appointment on the 24th.

Miry no longer enjoys under the bed as much. Her preferred nap spots are on my bed or the headboard. Occasionally during the day she will wander under there, but I think she prefers having her weird humans close by where she can see them.

As long as I can keep her eating most of her food and gaining some weight, I'll breath a momentary sigh of relief. I'll more than likely be a basket case with her next appointment in 2 weeks and I can't even fathom the anxiety I'm going to be in when we get her spayed, so please bare with me if you see me bouncing around in the forum.

Have a great evening!!!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also grabbed a pet laser pointer and she's quite the warrior kitten stalking and catching the evil red dot.
Be sure to end the laser pointer session with Miry catching 'prey'. Whether it's a soft toy or a treat. Cats need to be able to catch what they are chasing or they get frustrated.