Need advice ASAP she got double the size in a week!

mishanmums216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had a few scares of her being pregnant and was never pregnant she also seems to have worms and I gave her dewormer a few weeks ag...on Easter sunday I left for vacation and just got back Tuesday she was home with my son and his father wheni got home she had been outside I let her in she sneaks out thru a ripped screen but ask to use the door on the way in lol. But it was evident that she was twice the size from when I left she was always a lil chubby she eats very well and then I noticed her nipple were 3x the normal size and had white stuff on them so now I realize she is having kittens I don't know how far along she is but she has been eating like crazy and really crabby doesn't really want to b bothered and she has been hissing at us but sometimes she will be her normal lovey self and wanna play she likes to stand were u r walking and SWAT at u I love her so much but I have no idea what we r in for and I dont get how she went from not showing then a week later to look full term I fear she may b having them soon because her belly is hard as a rock and she keeps moving around the house to lay in different spots is they're anything I can do and yes this will b her only one the person who gave her to me had a house fire and lost her momma and three other kitties so we had talked of her having a liter so he could have one he was carried out unconscious and the cats were trapped in his room only one or two survived the incident and I have good homes lined up for them hopefully she has a descent litter because I have 5 people who really want one my mom hasn't called me back and she has helped a lot of cats through this process she may be at work for a week

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, first you need to fix the screen in your house. She needs to be secure so she does not try to have the litter outside. You also need to set up some nest options around the house. She will want a dark, quiet space. Closets with the door slightly open work well. She will also need constant access to food (wet and dry kitten food), a litter box, and water in that room.

You should buy a kitchen scale, powdered kmr, and a needleless syringe just in case. You will weigh the kittens every day to make sure they are gaining enough and supplement if needed.

Mom will likely go into heat again before she can be spayed. It is essential that she is kept inside and away from intact males until she is spayed - she can get pregnant within a week of delivery, even without going into heat. Mom and kittens can be spayed / neutered when the kittens are 8 weeks old. Please ensure that all of the cats are fixed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishanmums216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't been home all week I just got in today and yes I know the works of what to do for her after I plan to get her fixed ASAP after Ward and the people who will be taking them will have to make that decision I also have a stray male who has been detesticled he is an out door cat he only comes in to eat and sleep he is old and big and awesome cat he loves to hunt and present me with meals too lol I have been taking care of him for over a year now before I even got Misha and he doesn't like her to bother him she is young and is about to be a year old she has gotten really big since last week when I last saw her she just was like bam I'm gonna have kittens anytime I am usually of keeping her in when she was in heat but I had a dog stay who had issues being left alone xnd ripped open all my screens and I haven't needed the Windows open for it is winter but I had to it was so hot in my apartment the heat doesn't shut off it is stuck on hott and I will crack a Window or put a fan in it and she will still manage to sneak out when the front door opens and it's been really cold a snowing were I live and I didn't think she would even want to go out in it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishanmums216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to know what to expect like I have no idea how far along she really is she been kinda grouchy and she is usually very loving and cuddling

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously the kittens will belong to the whomever you give them to, but it is your responsibility to pick the best possible owners for them.  I disagree with adopting to people who don't plan to spay and neuter.  If they are not willing to provide this basic care, will they be willing to take the cat to the vet for routine vaccinations and in case of injury or illness?  

Any pet owner should want to make sure that their pets are happy and healthy.  Animals that are left to breed repeatedly, or to go through frequent hormone surges, are not happy or healthy.  This is not to say that anyone who has a pregnant cat is a bad owner, and I don't mean to reprimand, but you do want to set them up for success and health.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So to answer your question, there are few milestones to look for.  On day 21 the nipples pinken up and become more pronounced.  Do you remember when this happened?  Most people don't notice unless they think their cat is pregnant.

At 5 weeks the cat begins to show/get bigger.

The next milestone is seeing/feeling the kittens move.  This begins 2 - 3 weeks before the cat gives birth.  Are the kittens moving yet?

During the last week, her milk can come in, she can  lose her mucus plug, she can have pre-contractions, like braxton hicks.

The last 48 hours the water can break, she may lose her appetite, she may have runny stool, contractions begin and can last 24 hours before she begins pushing.

Do you have everything ready for when she gives birth?
[article="31379"]Pregnant Cat What To Prepare For The Birth  [/article]