Need Advice:10 month old male and 3 month old male?

charmsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a 10 month old male cat who I fell in love with because he is extremely social and friendly... not a mean bone in his body. I love him and I love owning a cat so much I would like to add to my family. There is a litter of kittens I'm going to visit tomorrow. They are 2 months old. Do you think the age gap between them will make a big difference? I sometimes feel like my 10 month old Charm will be happier with a buddy to play with, but is 2 months too young? Also, is it OK to mix two males? Should I choose a female kitten instead? Charm is neutered, and kitty will be fixed, but do males and females ever still try to mate after that? Because I don't want my 4 year old daughter asking me what the cats are doing and they are mounting each other or something. Haha,I know it's part of life, I'm not trying to sound immature or anything, but I seriously do wonder about that. I've even heard of males mounting each other :/ Anyway, I was basically wondering about the age difference and which gender I should lean towards. Charm wouldn't naturally want to hurt or kill the younger kitten, would it? I have also heard of this. Advice please, I would like to give one of these kittens a home tomorrow and watch my family grow :) thank you in advance !

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In terms of mounting, yes, any sex combination may.But it's about dominance, not sex. I hope that helps.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two males can work very well together, as can a male and a female. If it were me, I'd choose based on personality rather than sex. It's far more important that their energy levels and temperaments suit each other.

2 months is fine, but it's generally preferable for the kittens to stay with mom until they're 3 months old.

It's important to do gradual introductions between cats - and by gradual I mean weeks or months ;) The first two articles explain the process [article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="32804"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charmsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Here is our little boy Karma 

They are separated for now, but through the crack in the bottom of the door it seems like they want to play. We shall see. Little Karma keeps trying to walk on the keyboard, so i'll check in with you guys later. Thanks for the help. 

charmsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'm seriously obsessed with this little dude. 

So I've been taking the introduction slow. I've traded blankets with scents, I've switched rooms, I've opened the door a crack, and I've let the older cat check out the younger cat through the cat carrier. He hissed one time yesterday, no hissing today. Today my older cat was batting at the younger cat through the carrier. I can't tell if he is playing or trying to show him who's boss. I know this situation could be WAY worse but i'm so afraid the older cat is going to hurt the younger cat when I let them actually be together. I know I have to somewhat let nature take its course but the younger kitten is so so small i'm afraid if he does hurt him it will really cause damage. Kitten is just so fragile. What do you guys think? 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give Karma a week or two to get used to his new home. The last thing you want to do is overwhelm him at this stage.

To be honest, I wouldn't be trading rooms at this point. It sounds like Charm is handling it all really well, but it really is important to let Karma get comfortable and confident with you before doing more than scent swapping. Kittens are also more prone to accidents (just like little kids), so it makes sense for Karma to stay in one room to get the litterbox location firmly into his little head ;)

Back off a little and let everyone chill. It doesn't sound like Charm is going to hurt Karma - animals are pretty good at recognising babies of any species, and will often accept thing that they wouldn't from an adult. My concern at this point is keeping Karma's confidence high. Be patient. They have a whole lifetime to spend together. Extra time at this stage is never time wasted.

charmsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much