Need a raw diet without adding pills etc

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want a raw fed cat diet that I don't need to add pills to it like taurine or salmon oil I want all natural, a wild feline of any specie won't go to the pharmacy and buy taurine capsules:p so I want a recipe that replaces those with natural things like instead of salmon oil or salmon capsules I just add an actual fish to the food also I want a way to give them variety so I want to make a few batches at once with more of something else for example one day they get a more beef flavoured one with more beef then the next day a fish one and the next day chicken and then it repeats or just make a batch and when it runs out make a new one... So if you have one or a few recipes all natural please Pm me it or reply here:)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you want to feed traditional prey model raw. A PMR diet isn't ground, you don't make batches, you just feed meat, bone-in meals, and meals with organs in the correct percentage. The general guideline is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other deferring organ.

Because this is a model, and using proteins a cat wouldn't normally eat (usually), it is best to feed at least one egg yolk each week (for choline, vitamin D, and healthy fats), and some type of small oily fish once or twice a week. Most people find sardines easy to source.

You can learn about PMR from links to sites specializing in that in the Raw Feeding Resources stickied at the top of this forum. Someone was asking about the diet in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264291/prey-model-question

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Forgot to mention: if you don't want to supplement, you really can't feed ground food. Grinding increases the surface area and thus oxidation, so supplementation is necessary.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Based on what you want, there are two options. The first is to feed whole prey like mice, chicks, quail, rabbits, etc., like what they would be eating in the wild. That is the most "natural."

The second option is to feed prey model raw (or frankenprey) which basically tries to emulate whole prey using pieces of animals. The general guideline for PMR is 80% muscle meat which includes hearts and gizzards / 10% bone / 5% liver / 5% other secreting organ like kidney, pancreas, spleen, etc. This method is usually supplemented with raw egg yolks and sardines (either raw or canned without salt). Neither of these options require supplemental pills although some PMR feeders do supplement. Oh, and all raw feeders rotate different proteins. 3-5 is the recommended minimum number of proteins. Since different animals have different nutritional profiles, variety is good.

The problem with wanting a recipe is that this generally refers to ground food. When you grind meat, you lose some nutritional value. That is why almost all ground raw foods are supplemented.

I would encourage you to do some reading through the stickied threads at the top of this forum. It has a lot of great information for those new to raw feeding.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie, you must type a lot faster than I do on my phone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much would I feed an average cat per day if I'm feeding the 80% meat 10% bone 5% liver and 5% organ? Or does someone have a feeding schedule they use for their cats? That would help alot for example Monday: they eat this Tuesday: they eat this etc.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
www.catcentric.org, one of the links in the Raw Feeding Resources thread stickied at the top of this forum has a link to a PDF file that has exactly that.

Most cats will eat between 4 and 7 ounces of food a day. Really depends on activity level, age, metabolism... it's best if fed in three meals daily. Most feed before work, after work, and before bed.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only one other thing to add (which you will find in those links in any case)...freezing for 3 days will render most nasties (if there are any) safe.  I only have a small freezer, so I do 1-2week batches at a time using some (lots) of small plastic tubs that I can chuck in the dishwasher and reuse (better environmentally than using plastic bags).  I have a picture of my process here - just scroll down a bit till you hit it: http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/4/category/raw feeding/1.html

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So freeze it for 3 days before feeding just incase? Even though a cat stomach can fight off most things I'd rather make it safer:) thanks

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup, works to kill any parasites.  Like you said, a cat's stomach can pretty much cope with stuff like Salmonella.  Two of us recently had a brush with clostridium perfringens (mine was never proven though and I'm now on food trials to sort the tummy problems...she's getting better!) - you can pretty much avoid that bug though by making sure the meat you buy is fresh (as close to kill day as possible if you have the luxury of a market where you can discuss such things).  Don't feed the meat if it's slimey!  Here's a vet discussing this topic:  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was under the impression that freezing does not kill Salmonella or E. coli. I feed raw and am not very concerned with these bacteria, but my understanding is their growth/division is temporarily halted while frozen...?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're correct. Freezing has no impact on the most common bacteria. Freezing kills most parasites, which is good to know if feeding game meat (hunted) or road kill (a number of dog raw feeders do this), but not really an issue in most commercial meat.

It's more accurate to say freezing for 3 days kills most parasites, but not all pathogens.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry. I should have asked, do you mean is PMR model a good diet to feed in general or do you mean that specific menu?

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No it shouldn't have been because I didn't find it until someone posted a link that I found that on:p and that specific menu is it a god variety and a good quantity of each thing the cat needs.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That specific menu is the sample menu hosted on CatCentric.org.

It includes a number of different proteins, different cuts of meat, hearts (good for taurine), gizzards (chewy and full of glucosamine and chrondroitin); liver & secreting organ (kidney) and bone-in meals in the appropriate amounts, and includes eggs, sardines and (live) crickets as weekly additions to the main meals. If you believe in unsupplemented PMR, it is obviously a diet that meets the guidelines of PMR feeding.

Some PMR feeders include other proteins; some try to include more variety in organs, feeding other types of liver and other organs apart from just kidney.

If your cat eats a different amount of food, you would have to adjust the amounts of meat & muscle organs, liver, kidney, and bone.

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What if I did that menu and added a lottle bit of ground organs once a day? And how much would I add? Or I could do that once a week but alot of organs on one day, right now they are still being weaned from kmr to wet food so I have time to figure it out:p