Necessary to add organs to chub of meat?

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am new to the whole world of raw feeding. Recently I bought a 2lb chub of duck w/ bone (no organ meat) from my local pet store.  I requested some samples of Alnutrin supplement and they came in the mail today.  I mixed the supplement up and then added it to the meat.  Gave my kitten a quick helping and she ate it all up in no time.  It is definitely a hit with her. 

The only problem is that most of the chubs from this company (Blue Ridge Beef) do no have organ meet, and I read on here I need to add in things such as spleens, livers, hearts or pancreas to make it a complete meal for my kitten.  I am wondering if I will still need to add in these other pieces of meat since I am adding Alnutrin to it.  Also, if I do need to add in these other meats, why are they necessary?  Why would the chub of meat not be sufficient? 

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe if you look at the instructions on the Alnutrin they say liver is required to be added in addition to their supplement in order to make a nutritionally complete food.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're using alnutrin for meat and bone, right? Yeah ideally you need to add organs to that. I'd call and ask them what the bone content is on that product, too. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're using alnutrin for meat and bone, right? Yeah ideally you need to add organs to that. I'd call and ask them what the bone content is on that product, too. 
Actually the only organ needed with Alnutrin is liver. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually the only organ needed with Alnutrin is liver. 
Well the meat and bone version doesn't actually say that. It says that it's supposed to be used for meat, bones, and organs (including liver). 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well the meat and bone version doesn't actually say that. It says that it's supposed to be used for meat, bones, and organs (including liver). 
I use Alnturin for meat and bone with HT meat/bone/organ chubs. Since the HT chubs already have liver in it, I never add additional liver.

The only problem is that most of the chubs from this company (Blue Ridge Beef) do no have organ meet, and I read on here I need to add in things such as spleens, livers, hearts or pancreas to make it a complete meal for my kitten.  I am wondering if I will still need to add in these other pieces of meat since I am adding Alnutrin to it.
http://www.blueridgebeef.com/products-beef-ingredients-analysis.html#CB

Blue Ridge is an odd brand since most of the chubs are meat and bone only, no organs included. I have used Blue Ridge with Alnutrin for meat and bone but I wasn't feeding it excluisvely. If I were you, I would use Alnutrin for meat and bone with Blue Ridge and also include 10% organs for a complete balanced diet. There are recipies on the Alnutrin web site that might work for you: http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_for_meat.html Click on Recipie Library for additional recipies.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I use Alnturin for meat and bone with HT meat/bone/organ chubs. Since the HT chubs already have liver in it, I never add additional liver.
Yeah me too. I sometimes buy the beef/bone/venison which doesn't have organs but I don't add liver because I feed such a huge variety I don't really worry about it. I give FD liver as a treat, too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the info! I am in, indeed, using Alnutrin for meat & bone.  I sent them an e-mail asking a few questions.  They replied and said the only thing I would need to add is liver; it is not necessary to add any other organ meat.  So now I shall hunt around for some livers of some sort.  I also inquired about Omega 3 since it is not included in their mix.  They suggested if I wanted to add something for that to use salmon or fish oil at 1000mg per 2lbs of meat. So I believe I am all set now.