Nebelung or am i wrong?

Jazzie5299

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not one to know much about breeds but as i continue to search more details of my male kitten i keep coming across a Nebelung breed and frankly he really does look similar to me but i felt maybe best if i get a second opinion so please if your one that has knowledge to this breed let me know what beautiful creature am i looking at here

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nebelungs are quite rare so unlikely a purebred Nebelung would escape a breeder's home to randomly procreate.

Aside from that all cats are considered domestic without proof ("Papers") of their lineage. Many domestic cats look like a specific breed but in reality are not. All purebred cats were derived from domestics so those traits were already out there.

He's be considered a blue (gray) domestic cat. Not sure if short or long hair, can you show body photos?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jazzie5299

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nebelungs are quite rare so unlikely a purebred Nebelung would escape a breeder's home to randomly procreate.

Aside from that all cats are considered domestic without proof ("Papers") of their lineage. Many domestic cats look like a specific breed but in reality are not. All purebred cats were derived from domestics so those traits were already out there.

He's be considered a blue (gray) domestic cat. Not sure if short or long hair, can you show body photos?
I honestly dont know for sure what breed he is according to previous owner hes maine coon mix n then i had abother opinion state nebelung... and absolutely one moment while i send u those body photos of him.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly dont know for sure what breed he is according to previous owner hes maine coon mix n then i had abother opinion state nebelung... and absolutely one moment while i send u those body photos of him.
I see no particular breed in your kitten though he's utterly adorable!

I would take whatever the prior owner said with a grain of salt. Unless they know for sure, it's all just guessing or making an assumption. Most people are not familiar with what attributes purebred cats have so they just wind up calling them whatever they think they look like.

Overall the percentage of purebred cats in the world is quite minimal - barely 5%. So you can see how unlikely it is that a mix might occur. If everyone that thought they had a mixed breed cat actually did there would be thousands and thousands of purebred cats roaming the streets randomly breeding. There isn't.

Good breeders take great care to keep their cats safely contained - they don't want to risk any chance of diluting the breed. There are of course backyard breeders but without papers, they are still just considered domestic cats.

Hope that helps explain better.

Jazzie5299

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see no particular breed in your kitten though he's utterly adorable!

I would take whatever the prior owner said with a grain of salt. Unless they know for sure, it's all just guessing or making an assumption. Most people are not familiar with what attributes purebred cats have so they just wind up calling them whatever they think they look like.

Overall the percentage of purebred cats in the world is quite minimal - barely 5%. So you can see how unlikely it is that a mix might occur. If everyone that thought they had a mixed breed cat actually did there would be thousands and thousands of purebred cats roaming the streets randomly breeding. There isn't.

Good breeders take great care to keep their cats safely contained - they don't want to risk any chance of diluting the breed. There are of course backyard breeders but without papers, they are still just considered domestic cats.

Hope that helps explain better.
Absolutely agree on the salt metaphor, and well i Absolutely appreciate u helpin me have a better understanding to knowing what my kitty is. Hes Absolutely amazing n adorable. I was just hopin to find his breed if possible so that im able to state all his info once applied for pet insurance

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely agree on the salt metaphor, and well i Absolutely appreciate u helpin me have a better understanding to knowing what my kitty is. Hes Absolutely amazing n adorable. I was just hopin to find his breed if possible so that im able to state all his info once applied for pet insurance
Pet insurance is usually less expensive if the cat is NOT listed as a purebred.
Using domestic is the right answer. He does look like he may turn out to be long hair but kittens are so fluffy, hard to tell at this age!

Jazzie5299

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pet insurance is usually less expensive if the cat is NOT listed as a purebred.
Using domestic is the right answer. He does look like he may turn out to be long hair but kittens are so fluffy, hard to tell at this age!
Oh wow okay definitely appreciate that advise thank u. And well i can definitely tell due to previous cat eith similarities i definitely believe he will be a long hair. My previous cat i believe the vet said was that she was a sibrian cat forgive me i may be spelling that wrong. But im curious to know do u know much about that? Also seeing as were already here she was giving to me at 6 weeks at the time i wasnt sure but eventually i found out she was given at 6 weeks and she became highly aggressive so im curious to know if that was the reason why she was so aggresive?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow okay definitely appreciate that advise thank u. And well i can definitely tell due to previous cat eith similarities i definitely believe he will be a long hair. My previous cat i believe the vet said was that she was a sibrian cat forgive me i may be spelling that wrong. But im curious to know do u know much about that? Also seeing as were already here she was giving to me at 6 weeks at the time i wasnt sure but eventually i found out she was given at 6 weeks and she became highly aggressive so im curious to know if that was the reason why she was so aggresive?
Vets too, are not really familiar with recognizing specific breeds so Siberian is a guess too. It happens all the time.

6 weeks is very young to send a cat home to it's human family. At 6 weeks the kitten is still learning basic "cat manners" from it's mom and if those lessons are not learned the cat can wind up being fearful and/or aggressive because they haven't learned how to handle various experiences. Essentially they are truly still babies and it can be challenging to too socialize them if they have had no contact with people from the beginning.

Also, if the mom cat was feral it's winds up teaching kittens to fear people. There's a very short window of opportunity to socialize kittens properly to humans. This isn't to say they can't be socialized later on - just it may take more time to teach them that humans aren't scary.

FYI good breeders will always take the time to socialize kittens to all types of experiences so that once they go home, they are used to the normal sounds of a household and to being held, played with, groomed, etc. They typically will not send a kitten home until it is around 12 weeks old, give or take. Some later; my Maine Coon came home to us at 16 weeks, fully socialized. Shelters don't have the time to do this unfortunately so some (not all) kittens may not have been quite as ready as others at 6 weeks. Rescues on the other hand, tend to have better luck with this since all live in actual homes until they find their forever one.

Jazzie5299

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets too, are not really familiar with recognizing specific breeds so Siberian is a guess too. It happens all the time.

6 weeks is very young to send a cat home to it's human family. At 6 weeks the kitten is still learning basic "cat manners" from it's mom and if those lessons are not learned the cat can wind up being fearful and/or aggressive because they haven't learned how to handle various experiences. Essentially they are truly still babies and it can be challenging to too socialize them if they have had no contact with people from the beginning.

Also, if the mom cat was feral it's winds up teaching kittens to fear people. There's a very short window of opportunity to socialize kittens properly to humans. This isn't to say they can't be socialized later on - just it may take more time to teach them that humans aren't scary.

FYI good breeders will always take the time to socialize kittens to all types of experiences so that once they go home, they are used to the normal sounds of a household and to being held, played with, groomed, etc. They typically will not send a kitten home until it is around 12 weeks old, give or take. Some later; my Maine Coon came home to us at 16 weeks, fully socialized. Shelters don't have the time to do this unfortunately so some (not all) kittens may not have been quite as ready as others at 6 weeks. Rescues on the other hand, tend to have better luck with this since all live in actual homes until they find their forever one.
Yeah i agree i was highly upset when i found out that she was given to me early and she was sweet and very social with me but with others not so much just unfortunately i never knew when i was gonna get the mean side of her due the children in the home as well i was unable to keep her due to her aggression i still chrvk up on her with the new owner and it seems shes doin alot better with her...

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not one to know much about breeds but as i continue to search more details of my male kitten i keep coming across a Nebelung breed and frankly he really does look similar to me but i felt maybe best if i get a second opinion so please if your one that has knowledge to this breed let me know what beautiful creature am i looking at here
He is adorable 😀 I would say he is a dlh, he is def long hair, blue kitten with possible forest cat ancestry. Nebelung are rare and it would be very unlikely he has that heritage. Without papers even a pb cat will not be officially considered a breed which is a bit crazy maybe 😹

Many breeds were started from cats naturally living in the area, such as forest cats, so outdoor or other domestic cats can have those traits and some heritage somewhere far down the line.
Whatever he is he is a little beauty😻

Jazzie5299

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is adorable 😀 I would say he is a dlh, he is def long hair, blue kitten with possible forest cat ancestry. Nebelung are rare and it would be very unlikely he has that heritage. Without papers even a pb cat will not be officially considered a breed which is a bit crazy maybe 😹

Many breeds were started from cats naturally living in the area, such as forest cats, so outdoor or other domestic cats can have those traits and some heritage somewhere far down the line.
Whatever he is he is a little beauty😻
Thank u soo much u.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your little guy is beautiful.

I agree with the others, he is probably a gorgeous domestic long hair. I adopted my two cats at 1 1/2 years old, and never saw pics of them as kittens. But I suspect they may have looked very much like your little guy. Maybe he will grow to be the size of my boys, each about 20 lbs :lol:

Attachments