Nausea Help - cat wont eat during the night

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, My cat has stopped eating her hard food/drinking water during the night time (stops at 10pm) and around 5-6am every morning she starts getting nauseous and goes under the covers until I feed her wet food. She snacks on the hard food during the day just fine. The bowls are in the rooms she sleeps in. Is there anything over the counter I can give her before I go to bed that would help her with the nausea? Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, no. A vet can prescribe Cerenia to help with the nausea. A trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea anyways to get the cat fully checked out and make sure there isn't an underlying health issue.

Is your cat lip smacking? That's a common sign of nausea in cats.

Can you leave canned food out overnight? Canned food is a cooked product so it's fine to leave out for a couple of hours. I know some cats will vomit clear stomach fluid if they go too long without food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Yes she is lip smacking and hides and has vomited once or twice clear. It says not to leave wet food out for longer than 2-3 hours because of bacteria. I feed her right before I go to sleep at 10:00.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What do you feed her right before going to bed - dry or wet? In all actuality, dry can become contaminated faster than canned. If she eats dry food and leaves saliva behind on the uneaten food (almost a guarantee) that would be more inclined to cause contamination than feeding your cat some wet food at bedtime, and even leaving some out for overnight.

I leave Feeby's wet food out for 8 hours - no issue. I would try adjusting your feeding schedule first - particularly with more wet food before I would start pumping meds into her.