Natural Instinct wet food

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with Natural Instinct wet food and constipation. Moe has been taking laxatone for a long time for his IBD, but I've had to double it lately, and that sometimes isn't enough. The natural instincts is newer to his diet, so I'm wondering if there is a possible connection....????

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with Natural Instinct wet food and constipation. Moe has been taking laxatone for a long time for his IBD, but I've had to double it lately, and that sometimes isn't enough. The natural instincts is newer to his diet, so I'm wondering if there is a possible connection....????
There is montmorillonite clay in Natural Instinct. This can cause some constipation. Can you try a mostly carb-free food with pumpkin like Tiki Cat or Rawz?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know about Rawz, but my cat won't eat Tiki Cat. He likes pate, and nothing else. Its been a while, but I seem to remember Tiki not being the mushy pate that my cat loves. Do you know of anything that can be added to cat food to add fiber, aside from things like metamucil?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rawz has several pate flavors. The pates are harder to find and more expensive. But their recipes are as clean as you can get this side of homemade. Rawz stabilized my IBD kitty when no other food would. Rawz is expensive. But so are vet visits. I say keeping an IBD kitty happy, healthy, stable, and out of the vet office is worth the extra price. They'll send you samples if you write them.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

Pumpkin is a good addition for both constipation and diarrhea.

But as I learned a little too late with Krista, constipation can be caused by inflammation suggesting that all IBD trigger foods may not be eliminated yet. In her case, I was wrapping her prednisilone pill halves in fish flakes each night. The fish flakes were a trigger for her. When I was forced to change her pred routine and eliminate the fish flakes, we finally achieved remission from her IBD/lymphoma. Months of poop nonsense cleared up overnight.

Rawz can be your best ally in conducting elimination food trials since they have simple and clean recipe.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None of my cats like anything but pate and it's hard to find food for them. We use an immersion blender and turn chunky food into pate.

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rawz has several pate flavors. The pates are harder to find and more expensive. But their recipes are as clean as you can get this side of homemade. Rawz stabilized my IBD kitty when no other food would. Rawz is expensive. But so are vet visits. I say keeping an IBD kitty happy, healthy, stable, and out of the vet office is worth the extra price. They'll send you samples if you write them.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

Pumpkin is a good addition for both constipation and diarrhea.

But as I learned a little too late with Krista, constipation can be caused by inflammation suggesting that all IBD trigger foods may not be eliminated yet. In her case, I was wrapping her prednisilone pill halves in fish flakes each night. The fish flakes were a trigger for her. When I was forced to change her pred routine and eliminate the fish flakes, we finally achieved remission from her IBD/lymphoma. Months of poop nonsense cleared up overnight.

Rawz can be your best ally in conducting elimination food trials since they have simple and clean recipe.
I'm going to look into Rawz. Thanks for the info about samples!!

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
None of my cats like anything but pate and it's hard to find food for them. We use an immersion blender and turn chunky food into pate.
I never even thought of doing that. Does it turn out like the pate in cans?