Nasal Lump and Chronic URI

mishmash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've never posted here before, but figured now would be as good a time as any.
I have a senior lady (around 14-16 years old), Mishka, who we've been treating for a chronic upper respiratory infection. This is her 3rd round of antibiotics. She'd get sick, then better, then sick again, and it's been like this since January. She's lost a signifcant amount of weight and this time around has developed a prominant lump along her nasal bridge close to her left eye. The vet thinks it's an abscess from the infection. I'm worried it's something more serious like nasal cancer... but we'll have to run some tests, obviously. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this longer round of medication gets whatever is ailing Mishka and she can get back to her old self again.
Has anyone else had a similar expereince?

LisaKRD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My brother has a cat who is 21. They live in the country and this cat , Fred, came with the property. He has lived inside/outside all of his life. He developed a growth on his nose that got very large. It was there for several years but than became infected. The new vet they found said that Fred would die of the infection and he thought he could take it off. Fred made it thru surgery and is doing so much better. It was so large he was having difficulty eating. He also was having problems seeing because it was starting to grow over his eyes. It was not in the bone. If the area is small and she is doing ok it seems reasonable to evaluate what the lump is about. I would think and abscess would make her feel awful. I have not personally experienced this but it is similar to yours.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would try not to speculate about what it might be and just get those tests run :hugs:. The sooner the better, IMHO. I'm guessing she is losing weight because she can't smell very well, and cats who can't smell their food don't eat much :frown: If you haven't already, try getting the smelliest wet food you can find (fishy works best for smelly) and warm it slightly. That will really bring out the smell. That might induce her to eat more. It might not help if that lump is also blocking her inner nasal passageway, but it may. Is she open mouth breathing because of it? If not, then she's still got some room in there.

Let us know what the test results show.

LisaKRD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is you kitty doing? I hope things are better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishmash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is you kitty doing? I hope things are better.
Hi there,
I'm taking her to the clinic tomorrow, but things are not looking good. I won't go into details beyond her taking a turn for the worse. At this point I'm preparing myself to have to say good bye.