Naming a feral

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a family of feral kittens. So far I had the mother spayed ( I call Her Lady also affectionately known as Lady Bug) and two of her kittens. When I take them in to be "fixed" they always ask for a name. So the 2 kittens got called Kitty 1 and Kitty 2. Well Kitty 2 turned out to be a boy. He has long hair and it was hard to tell. He did get neutered and now I call him Big Boy as he is a big cat for only 5 months. A friend came over and fell in love with Kitty 1 and took her home. She is now a house cat and her kids named her Hazel. I'm taking the last 2 kittens in next week. The one I thought was a male and I've been calling him Rascal which he responds to. Now I really think he is a girl. So is Rascal a dumb name for a girl? The other one that I'm taking in does not have a name so she is called Kitty 3. These kitties are short haired tabbys.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually name my ferals/strays and my own cats unisex names so when they turn out either boy or girl I don't have to change the name :) (like Bourbon, Barley, Whiskey, Bailey, Brandy, Oreo, to name a few)

Or you can name them names which can easily be switched to boy or girl, like Alex to Alexa; Jack to Jackie; Sami or Sam to Samantha; Rockie to Raquel :)

Looking for names is quite hard, though. :) Rascal is a cute name, btw. But it sounds more like a boy.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate when I’m trying to catch a specific feral and one I’ve never met or seen before shows up in my trap.

At first I’m like, “well, not who I wanted, but yay, another cat I can fix!”

Then I get to the clinic and there’s that dreaded question... I always forget they will ask, and in the moment I’m just like “I don’t even know this cat! I barely even looked at him/her before coming here as to reduce their stress! How am I supposed to name them?!”

I am absolutely terrible at being creative, coming up with names, thinking on my feet, making decisions, and just generally being able to function verbally when put in the spot, and this is like a nightmare for me 😂

So yeah, now one of our ferals just has “Fat Black” on his rabies certificate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to say Rascal turned out to be a boy. I took him and another kitty in to be "fixed" today at a low cost clinic. The other kitty didn't really have a name so I just called it Kitty 3. Turned out to be a boy too. Interesting that out of this entire litter of 5 kittens only 1 was a female.