Name three things - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do you make jelly, jam, from water melon rind? I used to make jam out of every fruit imaginable, even quince.
i located the watermelon rind recipe today. i have a file folder for jams/jellies recipes, and it was in that. the recipe calls for pureeing the peeled and cubed watermelon rind, then you cook it/add sugar, cinnamon and pectin/can it. i'll make watermelon rind jelly again next year.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today will be a nice quiet day for me and the kitties. snick and jasper are having the rest of the day/evening for a supervised visit.
  • gave snick her sub-q's, then added more wood to the wood stove
  • gave snick and jasper their breakfasts, then made mine
  • washed the dishes, scooped litter boxes, took out the trash
  • moved 4 portions of mashed bananas & chopped walnuts to the fridge (from the freezer) to thaw -- will be baking banana walnut blondies on wednesday for the rest of the christmas gifts i need to give some neighbors and mail out
  • might write up the "to do" list for wednesday's busy day ahead of time, get that done and out of the way early

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ship orders
grocery shop

pack orders

make up the dough to chill for my great-grandmothers molasses cookie recipe.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
  • I have a Borough Council meeting tonight; it's not right after work (it's at 7:00), so it kind of interferes with my evening plans. It shouldn't take too long, but ti takes me 30 minutes just to get there. I'm figuring on about 90 minutes for that tonight
  • We didn't make it for groceries or Lowes or Target last night because of Rick's dental appt and BooBoo's vet appt, so somehow we have to fit that in tonight and I don't see how
  • I scooped the boxes this morning before grabbing my shower.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Trip to the hairdressers.   Hair now very short. 

Posted remaining presents that needed to be posted.  Apartment now looking a little clearer.  

Met a friend for coffee and major catch up as hadn't seen each other for a couple of years.  She has been living abroad and now back.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i located the watermelon rind recipe
today. i have a file folder for jams/jellies recipes, and it was in that. the recipe calls for pureeing the peeled and cubed watermelon rind, then you cook it/add sugar, cinnamon and pectin/can it. i'll make watermelon rind jelly again next year.
sounds good and easy. I'll try it next season. Thank You.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got up early thanks to whisky wanting.to get under my covers. Of course I let him..
GIt washed and dressed.
went to the supermarket and bought
chicken breast, ten tins of coconut cream and 2 packets of frozen corn kernels for my chicken curry.
Took a taxi home at I couldn't carry all those.tins.
made my curry yum yum
red rice and
The sweet corn.
I had visitors.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ginger lemon, that sounds like it must be a really good pickle recipe
you're probably right! i'm sure i know people who do eat corn on the cob.
my sister's Mil, who will be 99 on 1st January used to make pickles out of.everything possible including.water melon rind. I remember eating it about 45 years ago.she pickled carrots,.cauliflower, aubergine - eggplant..I don't know what you call.it.
everything got pickled but the best pickled cucumbers in the whole wide world were made by my grandma.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my sister's Mil, who will be 99 on 1st January used to make pickles out of.everything possible including.water melon rind. I remember eating it about 45 years ago.she pickled carrots,.cauliflower, aubergine - eggplant..I don't know what you call.it.
everything got pickled but the best pickled cucumbers in the whole wide world were made by my grandma.
i've looked into doing some pickling, but have never done any.

there's nothing better than homemade pickles -- or any homemade/canned items.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
There was this guy at work who made the best pickled cauliflower. It was hot, but wow, it was good stuff! Another guy at work loved hot stuff and the hotter the better. He used to wait until the first guy (and I) would eat all the cauliflower out of the jar and then he would drink the pickled juice! That man would break out into the worst sweat I've ever seen in my life. The sweat was just pouring down his face and the tears would flow. But every time he had a chance to drink that pickled cauliflower juice, he took it. The first time I saw him do it, I just stood there with my jaw on the floor. We are talking some hot, hot, hot stuff. Good, though, man that cauliflower was the best. I begged him for his recipe, but he wouldn't give it to me.

Anyway:
  • Doing some shopping today over lunch as I am just way, way behind on everything and we're not getting anything done at night. So I'm going to look for 3 strands of blue lights for the Tacky White Tree, the new AC/DC CD for Rick as a stocking stuffer, and some colored shot for cookies. Also some cinnamon hearts and some teaberries for cookies, too. 
  • Trash night tonight, so the litterboxes need washed
  • I have three loads of laundry on the hallway floor to do when I get home from work tonight

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How Mean Not To Give You the recipe. My aunt used to drink the water my gran made the pickled cucumbers in.
I also love hot food.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today is going to be like "the calm after the storm" here. yesterday i worked around the house all day and well into the evening, and got all but the extra firewood moved into the front enclosed porch done.
  • dump the wood stove ash pan, add more wood to the wood stove
  • give snick and jasper their breakfasts
  • call over to our vet's first thing when they open. snick is exhibiting symptoms of a(nother) UTI, so will have the vet call in a prescription to the pet pharmacy (snick is on "hospice care" now, no vet appointments unless it's something immediately life threatening). i'll make sure to get the call from the pharmacy to give them my payment info, so they can ship the medicine out asap to me. hopefully, the medicine will get here on friday.
  • wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, take out the trash
  • muck around with january thru march's budgets

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I took a Mental Health Day today.....it's been badly needed. I got up with Rick at 5:00, but then after he left, I called in. I just could not go in there today.
  • Baked chocolate chip cookies, some butter cut-out cookies (in the shapes of stars and bells), and some molasses crinkles (for Rick and for my BIL as they are big molasses crinkles fans). The cut-outs are only decorated with some colored sugar; some have teaberries and some have cinnamon hearts. But that's it....I don't decorate cookies well at all. They do taste good; I "tested" one. 
  • Did three loads of laundry (that I was supposed to do last night, but said the heck with it)
  • Once I get my almonds chopped and toasted, I'm going to make almond brittle, either later on this afternoon or tonight. I need to get it done before it gets really humid again.
Rick really wants some cream cheese pressed cookies. I cannot press a cookie to save my life, so he does them. I will make the dough for them tonight and we'll press them out and bake them on Friday night, I guess. And I think that will be the extent of the cookie baking for this year. (We have some cookies in the freezer from our family cookie exchange, so it's not like Rick won't have any cookies at all.)

I need to vacuum and do a quick Swiffering in the living room and kitchen. Tabby won't stay out of the Tacky White Tree and she's dragging white needles all over the place. There are needles all over the living room and down the steps to the front door. Brat.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I did get the almond brittle made, but it was a chore this time around. I couldn't keep the temperature up at all and it got way, way too thick. So then when I poured it out onto the parchment, it wouldn't spread much at all. I keep trying to spread it, but it kept sticking to the spoon. I gave up, sprinkled my sea salt on the top of it, and let it cool that way. (Rick had some last night and he said it's still good, just not very thin. I love the stuff, so I'll eat it anyway.)
  • Scooped out the boxes this morning before grabbing my shower for work
  • I'm hoping to get as much of the last minute shopping done as we can tonight. There are still a few things on our list, primarily for the kids and the grandkids. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am having such a hard time getting going today. I had an eye dr appt yesterday and I ahve a lingering headache from all of the lights being shined in my eyes.

Let's see for today ...

- Make cookies
- Package up the rest of the food I made for my brother
- Maybe wrap a few things
- My niece's play tonight.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick came home from work last night with a ferocious headache and he went to bed for the night. No shopping, nothing. So we're going out for a while this morning.
  • Banking and errands this morning
  • Try to finish up the presents (since the kids aren't coming til next Sunday, we actually got a couple days reprieve)
  • I need to do the Christmas cards!!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • dumped the wood stove ash pan, and put more wood in the wood stove
  • gave snick and jasper their breakfasts, then made mine
  • got sweet and sour pork going in the slow cooker, made a batch of rice to go with it
  • washed the dishes, scooped litter boxes, took out the trash, and brought in the newspaper
  • wrote up my "to do" list for tomorrows busy day
  • will start the washing machine later this afternoon/evening

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We got our shopping done yesterday morning, which is good because the electrician spent the afternoon at the house. We now have working lights on the shed. 
Makes it nice because if I hear anything "funky" outside, I can turn the shed lights on and see if there's anything going on outside. While he was here, he also replaced some receptacles that had become worn out: one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, and two in the bedroom. He's coming back after the holidays to do the floodlights for that end of the house. It's been difficult to get everything done because he's a hunter and then with the holidays and all. But he'll get it all done.
  • Do a quick vacuum and dusting throughout the house this morning while Rick is at church: I'll spend more time in the living room and kitchen, but the bedrooms can do with a quick Swiffer
  • Three loads of laundry (will change the bed sheets when Dear Richard gets out of bed), including a load of kitty blankets and throws
  • I know we just did the girls' claws at the beginning of the month, but last night when Mollipop was kneading my arm in bed, she left little pinpricks. And she got caught in my t-shirt this morning when I was holding her and then tried to put her down....I think we'll check claws after Rick gets home from church.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Winchester -- i'll be having flood lights installed for the back of my house coming up in the next few years. a couple years ago i had the adt alarm system in my house activated because a neighbor saw someone at the back of my house peering in my windows one night. that's also when i decided to get flood lights installed at the back of the house, the kind that are motion activated. they ought to give those kind of people who peer in windows (and who knows if it's for sizing up the house for a burglary, break-in) something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.