nail trimming

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so gf and i are plotting to trim graycies nail soon since we got the oral sedative stuff from vet we bought one of those plier looking thingies for cat nailsdo they work ? or is it ok to use nail clippers(human ones)?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think that you should use human nail trimmers. Something like these should work:
093CA3DA-69D9-401E-83ED-037FB7496AEA.jpeg

Be careful not to trim the pink part of the nail. That will most likely bleed and cause a lot of pain to Graycie.
This article will probably explain everything better than I can:
Trimming a cat's claws
Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think that you should use human nail trimmers. Something like these should work: View attachment 376341
Be careful not to trim the pink part of the nail. That will most likely bleed and cause a lot of pain to Graycie.
This article will probably explain everything better than I can:
Trimming a cat's claws
Best of luck!
thanks i seen another members post on the correct angle etc to cut at :lol:now its a matter off keeping em both calm enough to trimi know i can pop out graycies claws along with take the bite gf is to anxious:lol:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks i seen another members post on the correct angle etc to cut at :lol:now its a matter off keeping em both calm enough to trimi know i can pop out graycies claws along with take the bite gf is to anxious:lol:
:lol:your in the same county maybe i could bribe ya with a good dinner or lunch with the gf and i

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Truth be told, I’ve never trimmed my cats nails because they’re outdoor cats and they usually don’t need to be trimmed, but I do love food! :flail::flail::flail:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
so gf and i are plotting to trim graycies nail soon since we got the oral sedative stuff from vet we bought one of those plier looking thingies for cat nailsdo they work ? or is it ok to use nail clippers(human ones)?
Do not use human nail clippers. They tend to crush the claws rather than cutting them.

an old guy i know that breeds bengals told me he never trims the nails either said that the sheath? of it or top layer will pop off on its own
Yes, the sheath will come off on it's own, especially if the cat is using a scratching post. However, that just uncovers a very sharp claw. It does not act like a nail file rounding off the tip.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I've purchased numerous pairs of the special for pets nail trimmers and don't use any of them, they are too big and awkward. I use human nail clippers, regular or toe. Right now I'm using a pair folks use on babys. You just need to be on the side of the toe, not facing from the front, so you won't splinter the nail. It's the only way I do Gypsys. I use to massage her to melted butter state and then clip. Now I can bribe her with her special treat if she cooperates. She's smart and knows the drill. Sometimes it takes several sessions to get all of them done cause I don't want to stress her. I barely take the tips so they won't catch on the carpet but are still long enough to go up a power pole :lol:

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually have the same exact pair that BellaGooch BellaGooch used in the screenshot. They do give a nice clean cut. My cat is awful about nail trims though and acts like she needs an exorcism.

By chance, did the vet say that the sedative is flavored?

The vet gave a liquid sedative too to help with trims but she refuses it in her wet food. When I dropped her off at the vet for a dental, the vet tech offhandedly mentioned the meds are cherry flavored . . um cherry flavored for a cat?? :dunno: It’s the default for gabapentin anyway. We need to go through a compounding pharmacy for different flavors. We still haven’t heard back from the pharmacy (Wedgewood) but I’m not in rush since she’s recovering from a tooth extraction anyway.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have the same exact pair that BellaGooch BellaGooch used in the screenshot. They do give a nice clean cut. My cat is awful about nail trims though and acts like she needs an exorcism.

By chance, did the vet say that the sedative is flavored?

The vet gave a liquid sedative too to help with trims but she refuses it in her wet food. When I dropped her off at the vet for a dental, the vet tech offhandedly mentioned the meds are cherry flavored . . um cherry flavored for a cat?? :dunno: It’s the default for gabapentin anyway. We need to go through a compounding pharmacy for different flavors. We still haven’t heard back from the pharmacy (Wedgewood) but I’m not in rush since she’s recovering from a tooth extraction anyway.
i dunno vet said to saquirt it into her mouth along the gum line but i am gonna mix it with her canned food or a bit of canned tuna to eat will take longer o affect her but its ok main thing is getting the gf to be confident in handling graycies paws etc.popping the claws out etc. :lol: guess all the scars and marks i got from graycies kitten teeth doesnt inspire harmless in cat bites to me kitten teeth are way sharper than an adult cats teeth

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently discovered a nail trimming life hack, maybe it will help you since you have two people!

My 8 y/o Susan does not love her paws being held -- she will pull them back, and if you hold onto them, she will try to yank her entire body away. For awhile, I was only able to trim her back claws when she slept deeply. Front paws were out of the question since she tucks them underneath her face most of the time, so I relied on the kindness of vets to trim, etc.

Anyway, onto the hack -- I recently ordered some puree stick treats (e.g., Nulo, Churu) to see if they could be used to convince Susan to let me trim her nails. It has been working out AMAZINGLY. My partner will sit and dribble a little bit of the puree at a time onto his hand, where my cat will lick it off constantly. This is so supremely exciting and distracting for her that I can pick up her paws (she'll still pull them away occasionally, but not as frequently) and trim her nails. I am even able to pick up and trim her back claws via this method. As long as the treat-dispensing person only puts out a little bit at a time, I've found that 1 treat (only 7 calories for Nulo) provides enough time to check all 4 paws.

Susan is overweight and can't clean her butt effectively (i.e., at all) so we recently employed this method too when she had a too-soft bathroom incident. She was distracted and extremely tolerant of me cleaning her behind with wet paper towels, whereas normally she will jump around and just avoid getting within a couple feet of me.