Nail Trimming Or File? 9 Week Old Kitten

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read mixed things on whether or not it's ok to trim a young kitten's nails. I personally would rather not do it this soon, but something needs to be done. His nails extend a little even when he isn't stretching them, and when he tries to play they get snagged on things. I'm scared one of them is going to get ripped off.

I have a tiny pair of scissors- about newborn baby size- designed for cats. If I'm careful, is that ok to use, or should I just file for the time being?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would, with a few suggestions.
Don't go for short, just go for getting that little hook off. Starting them now will hopefully create an adult cat that doesn't care about having their paws handled or nails trimmed, it's easier to convince a kid than change an adults mind who is set in their ways ;)
I'd also attempt this when he's been playing so hard that he can barely stay awake. He'll accept it more than if he's full of it and wants to play.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's totally fine to trim kitten claws, and actually it's a good idea to get them used to it early. I start trimming my kittens' claws as soon as they start bothering me (when they start to climb all over me and dig in those little hooks, ouch!) Just trim off the little pointy bit at the end, and if the kitten is super wiggly, just do a couple of claws at a time.

I use a human nail clipper and turn it sideways.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always finish up by giving my cats a couple of treats. Hopefully, they think they're getting something positive out of their pedicure sessions. It seems to work and they're all pretty good about getting their nails cut.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've read mixed things on whether or not it's ok to trim a young kitten's nails.
Kitten's nails are thin and very sharp. Yes, they get tangled up when they play and either they are stuck to things or things get stuck onto their claws.

It's good to trim them at this age so that they can get used to having their paws held and nails trimmed.

I trimmed my boy's claws every one week or so and I use a hooman's nail clipper to do it.

Just follow the tips of the above posters if your kitten is weary or wriggly when cutting their claws. It is easier to clip claws that are not black as you can see the veins (which is called the Quick) and you do not want to clip on those else it'll be painful for the kitten/cat and on top of that, bleeding. If it bleeds, use plain flour to cover/stop the bleeding.

For kittens, clip off the tips of the claws will do where the sharpest point is. Later, when they are older and gotten used to nail clipping, then you can clip them a little further in.

Hold the kitten's paw and gently press to expose the claw.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All front paws trimmed, no yowls, no catastrophe. :) Going for the back next.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you didn't try to file your kitten's claws. I can only see wrong with that. Claws can crack if not cut cleanly which may be as uncomfortable (or more!) as a human hangnail.