Nail Trimming Dramatics

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there!

I’m wondering if anybody else struggles with trimming their cats nails?

Both my cats are such monsters when it comes to nail cutting time. I get constant growls and bites on the offending hand. I can only ever do 1 paw, if I’m lucky 2, at a time and have to wait for ages to do back feet. Granted hind paw nails only ever need a trim rarely, but when they get long, they get super sharp!

I flip them onto their backs and hold paw with one hand and nail scissor in the other. I try not to put pressure on the nail but instead pull back or push up from under the nail to not hurt little paws. I don’t cover their faces but am considering giving it a try if it’ll help with the growlies and snarls.

What tricks do you use or problems do you have when it comes to ‘that time’?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have just started clipping the nails but before I did I sat my cats on my lap and got them so that they were sitting on their hind quarters leaning against my chest. I gave them a few treats and made a fuss of them then let them go. I did this about 6 times and on the seventh I clipped the front paws, a treat given after every two cuts. Good luck I hope you manage it unscathed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also use the sitting position that V verna davies uses. Seems to make it harder for Feeby to fight me. Of course, no treats for her any more, after all these years she has come to understand that it IS going to happen, so she is generally resigned to the fact and puts up limited resistance until I get to the last nail or two.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I’m wondering if anybody else struggles with trimming their cats nails?
For cats that struggles and cannot keep still or sit still on your laps, best is trim their nails when they are drowsy from their sleep or in their sleep.

You don't have to do all at one go but just clip as many as you can. Continue the rest another day.

Hold the paw between your thumb and index finger and gently press the paw and the claws will be extended out. Position yourself in a way that is comfortable in holding the paw and clipper on the other hand. Once both you and the cat is in the right position, it is much easier to clip the nails but just don't clip too deep and clip the quick which will cause pain to the cat and the claw will bleed. Just stand by some plain flour to stop the bleeding if you happen to clip the quick.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG