Nail Clipping And Litter Box Issues...

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I’m new here, and I’m also a new cat owner (or rather, guardian...). My partner and I adopted an adorable bundle of fluff called Percy, who is a blue British Shorthair. He’s now 10 weeks old. This is a post specifically concerning litter habits and I’d be very grateful for your collective expertise. I’m rapidly learning that cats are not as straightforward as dogs!

Everything had been more or less fine until yesterday evening and Percy was using his litter box properly for pee and poop. He’d had one little accident on the bed (which we think was because he couldn’t get off the bed confidently and couldn’t hold it) but other than that, all perfect. Yesterday, we decided to try clipping his claws as they were getting pretty sharp. To cut a long story short, I think we cut the nail incorrectly and we must have nicked the quick and hurt him. He bled a bit and was obviously pretty unhappy. We were (are) really upset that we hurt him and feel terribly guilty are going to take a lesson from the vet in how to clip nails properly. Later that night though, we had Percy on the bed with us and he peed in the exact same spot he had previously had his little accident... This evening, he also peed on a little rug we keep just near his litter tray.

He has used his litter tray today (I can tell from cleaning it) but we are wondering whether the litter might be hurting his paw as it heals up and he’d therefore rather pee on something really soft if he can - such as the bed, in an area he had previously designated as pee-friendly, or the rug right by the tray. We also made the big mistake of not using an enzymatic cleaner on the spot he had previously peed on, so there’s a good chance there was still some smell he could detect (but we couldn’t) on the bed.

We now have some enzymatic cleaner which we have used and have also removed the rug. We are also keeping him off the bed until we can see how this pans out. We just wondered whether anyone else had experience of this. We want him to be happy and this is all sending us a signal that he’s not.

Please help!

-Percy’s dad x

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello again,

(I copied my post from another thread)

I used to clip my boy's nails when he is asleep. Now he has gotten use to the clipper and I don't have to wait till he's asleep. He'll watch me hold his paw and clip his nails now.
I gotten him to get use to the clipper by letting him smell it without cutting any nails and after that I'll just keep the clipper. Then I let him get use to me by holding his paw and pressing gently to get the claws out. I do that a few times and then say good boy and walked away. I repeated this two actions for several days.
Then the next time was with the clipper, let him smell, touch paw and gently press and clip one nail. Repeated this several times till he got use to it and now whenever I need to clip his nails, I just go straight to it.
Don't rush into it and finish the four paws in a few days till your kitty is ok with nail clipping and you can do it at one go. Just make sure you get a good pair of clippers and watch for the 'quick' in the claws.

Press his paws gently and his claws will show and clip the nails before the ‘quick’. If you happen to clip too deep and it bleeds, you can use some plain flour to stop the bleeding.

DD4E43BE-7B02-44C7-B2EA-107CA309C0DF.jpeg
1F6FED4B-649D-459C-AFE3-D46645A6F021.jpeg
12E94455-1CA9-4DB1-B49B-4CDB9D3B3935.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep styptic powder or pads on hand to use if you accidentally cut the nail quick and it bleeds. Just apply some powder or a pad to the claw to help the bleeding stop. In a pinch corn starch or flour from your kitchen pantry will work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Does anyone have experience of the specific litter box issues I described?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It’ll take quite a bit of work to get all the smell out of the bed as it is already soaked deep in. You have to let the enzyme cleaner to soak through and probably do it a few times and also have to have the bed out in the sun and air it till all per smell is gone. Else would be likely he’ll go per on the bed again.

Young kittens does not have the strength to control their bladder. You can place another litter box in your bedroom so that it’s nearer for him.

I hope he is not having a medical issue with his peeing. Was there a change in the house like new furniture of new objects? Some workers came in to do some work? Any loud noise that had given him a fright or did something scare him?

Also if he is walking and running normally, his claw should be ok.