Nail clipping and arthritis

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any advice on how to approach an older cat for nail trimming?
Over the past year or so, Ciaran has gotten much less tolerant of nail trimming. While he used to allow me to hold him on my lap and get through most of his paws with minimal protest, he now lashes out and hisses after we’ve done a few toes. He has developed arthritis in his hips and I’m suspecting there’s some in his feet or ankles as well and this may be the issue. He was treated for high blood pressure this summer but otherwise is in good health.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try various different positions in an attempt to reduce irritation to his hips/feet/legs, and only clipping one or two nails at a time. Some folks have success in doing just a couple of nails when their cats are sleeping. Letting him rest in positions that he is comfortable in, instead of picking him up and putting him in your lap might help too. Having some treats on hand that you could give him in between nail clippings could be a way to get him to be more receptive as well. Cat calming products might help to make him less anxious - Feliway sprays and/or diffusers, or something like Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear to help with calming/relaxing.

But, if he isn't taking any type of arthritis supplements I would suggest getting him on some to help lessen his aggravation. Things like glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels are good supplements to help with arthritis. I use a product called Glyco Flex Plus, which contains all of the above noted ingredients. It is a daily chewable, that can be cut up into smaller pieces, if need be. It only costs me about $10 a month. You might also ask the vet about what they would recommend for Ciaran as well.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon with more specific suggestions/tips that I am able to provide!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For his arthritis, he is on gabapentin twice daily with additional as-needed dose if he’s having a stiff day. And he is receiving dasuquin (though with the relatively weak clinical evidence, I’m not holding my breath for it.)
I think I may try premedicating with the as-needed gabapentin though I will have to figure out timing given the relatively slow onset of action.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat also suffers from some arthritis in his hip area and since we rescued him he was not used to having someone trim his nails. He only needs them clipped approx. every three months so it's easiest for us to bring him to our vet since it is a two-person job and the vet techs are more than happy to oblige. We tried wrapping him in a towel like a burrito which is something you may want to try but he became very feisty and we were unsuccessful. I realize you may not want to go to the vet especially during Covid since some procedures have changed but this worked best for us. This Article may have some helpful tips for you too:
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws – TheCatSite Articles

Since you mentioned he's already on gabapentin you may want to check with your vet about the optimal time to trim his nails after giving him the medication. Best of luck, I know it's not easy and we can't explain to them that we're only trying to help. 🤗

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I love his name! Like you, I don't have a lot of faith in Dasuquin either. While it sounds as if you have a great relationship with Ciaran, he might be to a point where you will need some help with the nails. All of mine including the dog, go to the vet for nail trimming.