Mysterious Bumps On Cats Nose

mell0wseas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a 1.5 year old domestic short haired name cat named Milo. He's had some health issues ever since we got him, but I think we've finally gotten ahead of most of them. Until now.

Some back story: When we got him, he had a URI that we took care of. Shortly after that (around October of 2017), he started over-grooming and itching himself pretty much all of the time. This has been an ongoing issue and after thousands of dollars, several food trials, on and off Prednisone multiple times, allergy tests and bloodwork, we finally landed on Atopica. We're about a month in and I think it seems to be helping his itching issue! He's still doing it but it's a more normal amount now than before.

So what's going on now? Well, Milo went in for annual vaccinations in September. All was well until he came down with what seemed like the start of another URI a few days after. I think he may have gotten it at the vet somehow, but after his appointment, he had a very wet, runny nose and was sneezing a lot. This is what sparked the start of his issue now: these bumps on his nose. (Photos below).

Since he was sneezing and had a runny nose, that whole area became irritated. He started rubbing at his nose/face very frequently and eventually the bridge of his nose became inflamed a little bit. This is also where I noticed the first tiny little bump on his nose. With time, more came and they got a bit bigger. And then we were displaced due to gas explosions in the area, where we stayed with my grandparents for a few ays (Milo included!). He was getting into dusty areas filled with cob webs under the couches and behind furniture, so I know that didn't help his sneezing/nose issue. Plus, this was probably a high-stress situation for him, being in a new environment.

Anyways, fast forward a week or two, his nose was just getting worse. We brought him to the vet (again) and they gave him an antibiotic shot of Convenia, which would help his possible URI situation and they hoped maybe his nose if it was a skin infection. It's been two weeks since the shot, and it's helped his URI, but these bumps on his nose are still there! They've gotten a little bigger but also sort of look deflated now. The vet has no idea what they are and wanted us to bring him in, sedate him and presumably do a biopsy to see if they can figure out what's in these bumps. The problem now is we don't have enough money to do that for him (they quoted $900-$1,500) it's simply too expensive, especially after all of the money we've spent trying to get his itching in order over the past year. Plus, it's risky and almost seems unnecessary for what they are. We're at a loss at what we can do. We thought they might be acne but the vet disagreed.

He's acting perfectly normal aside from these bumps. Still cuddles, still playful, still eating normally.

Has anyone ever seen bumps like these, on a kitty's nose or anywhere? Any tips on how we can help get rid of them at home? We're at a complete and total loss and are looking for advice!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not trying to underplay the situation, but those bumps look a lot like what my Feeby has and the vet said they are warts. Not on her nose, but on her upper back. Of course, I realize the vet should more than likely be able to recognize them as warts... Just hoping for a simpler solution for you.

Couldn't they sedate him a little and do a skin scraping like dermatologists do with humans?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mell0wseas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What did your vet do about them for Feeby? Any chance they’ll go away on their own?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They haven't gone away, and the vet didn't think that it was anything to worry about - or act on, nor frankly did I ask for a resolution. But, then again, they are not on Feeby's nose. So, I understand why you might not want to "just ignore them" as I have Feeby's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mell0wseas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True. That helps though, I never thought to consider warts as an option. I have no idea how he would have gotten them though!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, how do humans get them? It is a virus that causes them in people, and the vet made it sound like that is the same thing for cats. I had no idea, but leave it up to Feeby to be the one to have them!!

You could re-check with the vet to ask if there is any chance they are actually warts. Hope if you do, he says Yes!!

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully they aren't serious and your cat will continue happily healthy otherwise!